Permanent loss of memory?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi, I wrote several days ago about my dizziness and all of the replies I got were a major help, thank you all so much. I meant to reply to everyone but I completely forgot to. My vertigo stuff is much better, it's still there but not nearly as much.

I have another question I am hoping someone can answer. I've been having memory problems for about 2 years now, and it has gotten increasingly worse. I don't really know what is normal memory loss anymore. I can't remember much about 2 days ago and I can remember events from yesterday but not many details. I have trouble remembering what I went into a room for a lot of the time. I feel like I'm just going along and not knowing what I'm doing. But for some reason I'm able to read a book over a period of several days and not forget it.

My seizures (spacing out w/o loss of consciousness) are a lot better. Where I used to have them about 25 times a day, I now have maybe 2 or 3. My question is, can epilepsy cause a permanent loss of memory? I don't mean will I ever remember things I've forgotten, I mean is it likely I'll always have this much trouble remembering things?

I hope one day I'll actually be able to contribute to this board because it seems like a good place to help people. Until then thanks for helping me.

Hi Stephanie --

Epilepsy can affect memory in several ways. Repeated seizures can sometimes damage brain tissues in areas of the brain like the hippocampus -- and the hippocampus is essential to the processing of information and memory.

If damage does occur, it can cause problems in both the storage and recall of information: Damage on the left side of the brain can lead to the loss of verbal memory. As a result, you might find it difficult to remember spoken or written words. Damage on the right side of the brain can affect visual memory -- making it difficult to remember what you saw and and leading to problems with processing objects and directions. Damage to the frontal lobes can lead to short-term memory loss, making it hard to keep your attention focused for long.

The other impact on memory can come from anti-seizure medications. Since the medications are designed to slow down brain connections, they also can impact the connections that help in processing details and making memories.

I don't know which of the above scenarios applies to you -- maybe short-term memory loss? You might want to consult with your doctor for advice, and/or have them do a neuropsych evaluation to get a baseline for how your memory is now and then check it again in a few months to see if there is any progressive change.

In the meantime, there are ways to help try and keep your memory and mind sharp -- keeping journals, marking things on big wall calendars, and using memory tricks. Just practicing memorizing and recalling information is beneficial. It doesn't matter what the information is -- a grocery list, or song lyrics, or the names of all your relatives -- the "exercise" is good for the "memory muscle."

Best,
Nakamova

Neurofeedback helped increase my daughters memory. I believe the memories are not lost, just something is inhibiting them. My daughter actually lost her memory for three months...regressive amnesia. She is doing well now.

You also might consider increasing your magnesium levels.
Associate Professor Guosong Liu and postdoctoral associate Inna Slutsky at MIT's Picower Center for Learning and Memory found that magnesium helps regulate a key brain receptor important for learning and memory. Their work provides evidence that a magnesium deficit may lead to decreased memory and learning ability, while an abundance of magnesium may improve cognitive function.

This mineral not only acts as an anti-convulsant, it also is a mineral that each cell in the body needs for energy.
Magnesium deficits have been tied to allergies, asthma, attention deficit disorder, anxiety, heart disease, muscle cramps and other conditions.
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/17114.php

I've had two types of memory loss for some years now. One is frustrating usually but a bit funny at other times. It is word-finding problem. Much of the time I miss-label things and say such silly things as telling my daughter to put her shirt in the toilet instead of the hamper as I really meant just because there must be some relationship between them such as they both have lids and are containers (well, sort of) and I happen to be looking at the toilet i the bathroom. I am very dyslexic and have always assumed that word-finding problem is due to that but maybe I've been wrong all this time. Now you've got me wondering... The other type of memory loss is, for me, a much more personal and troubling and involves loosing almost all of my childhood memories and even such recent memories as the adoption of my daughter. I can know we went to get her and I can certainly answer questions about it because I've heard others talk about it, but I cannot actually remember and visualize any of it at all. What I do remember of my past is like still photographs. And this applies to recent memories, too, like going to the grocery store tonight. I know I went and I sure have the groceries and the receipt to prove it but I cannot visualize any of it. I can visualize the store layout but not anything actually connected with my going there tonight. I don't think about it much because it is upsetting to realize how many memories of my family are just not there. I've dealt with this by getting as many pictures as I can of them and encouraging people to tell me about things that happened, but always without letting them know just why I am asking so many detailed questions of course. You know, it is funny because I don't have any trouble with remembering actions like all the regular things we do every day, but I guess it is all the visual memories that are gone. How do you explain that? Is there any way to bring the memories back and stop it from happening? :ponder:

Thank you for all of the information... I'm going to have to study on it some more. I'll definitely ask my doctor next time I go.

Chatter-box, I'm sorry you're having such a hard time, and I especially hate that you can't really remember adopting your daughter. I'm sure that's an awful feeling. I can visualize things that happened, but it's like remembering a dream or something. I know what you mean about saying the wrong words. I'll actually go as far as to do those things sometimes. I've opened the washer more than once to find that I've washed one of my daughter's diapers. I never knew those things could hold so much liquid....

Hi Stephanie,

I have the same problem. I am losing my memory more and more. I do not remember things. It might be my age, I am 66, it might not be.

My husband has told me to do more things with my brain. He told me that if I learn other things and excersize my brain, then my brain will make more neuropathways. I will be able to learn and remember more. I am glad that you brought this subject up.

I do not remember a lot of things I do or say. My husband and son are surprised that I do not remember a lot of things I say.

feast, I'm sorry that you are also having this problem. Does your husband have any suggestions for things to learn? That sounds like a good idea. It's just so frustrating because 2 years ago, I had a great memory. My parents have said that I've always remembered things exceptionally well. It makes me feel so stupid.

Neurofeedback helped increase my daughters memory. I believe the memories are not lost, just something is inhibiting them. My daughter actually lost her memory for three months...regressive amnesia. She is doing well now.

You also might consider increasing your magnesium levels.

This mineral not only acts as an anti-convulsant, it also is a mineral that each cell in the body needs for energy.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/17114.php

I'm a little downed about neurofeedback. I called someone who offered it some 30 miles away and the woman was very adamant about how insurance will probably not cover it (even though she didn't bother asking who I have), and how it's $125 a session!

Hi Stephanie,

My husband says to take up a book and learn something that you do not know anything about. That is what I am doing. It does help. Something you are interested in and never looked into.

That's a great idea. I love looking at different cultures and things that I have no experience with. I'll have to start doing that more.

I try

to do a variety of thiings to work at my memory. Sudoku and crossword puzzles are at the top of my list, anagrams and similar word games are also up there.

I do lots of reading of all types (mystery and romance are two of my favorites), and I am also a professional writer, too, as well as a substitute teacher, and tutor. So I do find plenty of ways to work on my memory.

However, my weak part of my memory is my visual memory. Trying to remember how to get to places by looking at landmarks is just not doable, and sometimes people's faces......welllllll, yeah, you get the idea.

I don't remember parts of my childhood unless I see pictures to try and put things together, and the same goes for my children's childhoods.......though 98% of that can be attributed to my seizures, 2% is tied to a tornado that flattened our house, and I have blocked some stuff out. Trust me, I remember enough of that night, that I don't think that I really want to remember the rest.....

I think RobinN's idea of the neurofeedback is an excellent one. There is actually a provider right nearby me, and I may even look into it myself.

***Googly*** Check with your insurance provider to see if they WILL cover the neurofeedback, then call that chick back, if they do, and give her an earful! LOL

Anyway, there are quite a number of ways to work on your memory.....I suppose doing math using license plates when you're driving probably isn't the safest thing to do *chuckle* but it sure does work your brain.... LOLOLOL

Take care.

Meetz
:rock:

***Googly*** Check with your insurance provider to see if they WILL cover the neurofeedback, then call that chick back, if they do, and give her an earful! LOL

I checked today and they don't :( she said there are no "controlled studies" for it regarding epilepsy. She said if it were migraines or Bipolar disorder then it would be covered. We should really start a petition or something to have scientific studies done on it. What would the medical community have to lose? Money? Anyway, I'll get a loan one of these days!

As soon as my boyfriend started up on the medication Topamax, his memory immediately became terrible. He can't remember anything that happened a few days ago, but some days it's better than others. Some days he's more alert and can remember things, other days, it's just the worst. He can't play piano because he can't remember where the notes are and the chords or anything.

We're hoping as soon as he's off Topamax in a few days, his memory will come back.

My memory is bad. I am not on Topamax. I am on other medications.

My husband says that learning new things will help get memory back. It is helping me.

Back
Top Bottom