Physical Disease NOT Mental Illness!!!!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Elaine H

New
Reaction score
Help Guys

I have my Dad here to stay. It's not really his fault, but he doesn't seem to understand that Epilepsy is NOT a mental illness, but a physical problem with the brain.

Ok, I'll keep it short. I'd like to hear how, if at all, you have ever had to explain and justify this to anyone before and how you've done it and defined the condition to a complete newcomer to Epilepsy?

My way of explaining it is, that mental illness (mind) is a problem with the chemicals in the brain, and with Epilepsy (brain), it is the electricity in the brain that is causing our problems.

He is right when he says that most ignorant people think that we are all suffering with a mental illness because we have epilepsy, which of course doesn't help us to get jobs, and generally be accepted in society.
Over to you guys, I think I've convinced him, but, God I do get so angry about it at times, it's the head, and that is all they see!

Lol
Lainey XXXX

My 16 year old daughter made the mistake once of saying I was crazy, when she was frustrated at my Epilepsy.

The way I explained it to her was this: Pack your shit and get out of my house. And when you can apologize to me, you can come back.

I know, it's different with your dad but that sure hit a sensitive spot with me. Maybe because I was feeling pretty crazy at the time, who knows. The way you described the difference: chemical vs. physical characteristics would be how I'd explain it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_synapse
(Electricity in the brain is controlled by our chemistry)

If I had someone who seemed ignorant of my condition, I would purchase something or download and print a short easy to read bit on it and try to interest them on it for their own good by showing them that they have just as much chance as I do as having this condition unless it is gender related.
Epilepsy presents itself most often in infants and the elderly.

Back
Top Bottom