Piercings and Seizures?????

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard that stainless steel piercings cause seizures in Epileptics? :dontknow:
I have 2 facial piercings and someone told me that the stainless steel lowers the threshold for seizures.
Personally, I don't believe it. But has anyone heard of such a thing??????

Nope ...

I have my ears pierced, but then again
I'm allergic to silver, and I wear gold.

:D

I'm expen$ive & worth it!

;)

I've never heard of it. The only thing I see when searching is references to "anti-seizure" properties of metals in terms of machined parts (screws, engine parts, etc.) - nothing related to epileptic seizures.

I have read about ingested metals causing a host of problems, but I haven't heard of piercings causing seizures. Perhaps fainting from the sight of blood... nah

I've never had a problem...But I havent been wearing earrings lately for the fear of falling and them getting caught and ripping out during a seizure...But Ive never had a problem with any type of metal...

Thanks you guys! I thought it was a farce......
People come up with some strange ideas :|

Here's a copy of the post that made me start this thread :
"piecrings disrupt the flow of Chi, the electrical energy that flows through the body, and can cause subtle damage to internal organs. Piercings should be avoided for this reason.

also, having metal attached to you makes you more suceptible to electrical fields, increasing the likelihood of seizures."

I've never had a problem...But I havent been wearing earrings lately for the fear of falling and them getting caught and ripping out during a seizure...But Ive never had a problem with any type of metal...

I only wear EARRINGS when I get dressed up to go out. The ones I wear are usually studs or small dangley ones. And they are the first thing to come off as soon as I walk in the door. No HOOPS in the ears. Never, never, never. Which reminds me.............I need to replace my nose RING with a stud. :elephant:

Please... no tongue piercing, that just hurts to think about it. Plus what happens during a TC seizure? OUCH
Use a jewel in your nose stud that brings chi into balance.

Please... no tongue piercing, that just hurts to think about it. Plus what happens during a TC seizure?

I'm thinking there is a good possibility of teeth cracking if they bite down on metal.

BO -> AFAIK, there is no objective method for testing/measuring the effects of piercings on Chi.

OH YES! Definitely will NOT get a tongue piercing. My Neurologist even brought that to my attention. I told him not to worry.......I have sense enough not to get that done. I figured it was just common sense to stay away from it since I could break my teeth on it during a TC. I hope other Epileptic's think about that before deciding to get their tongue pierced. I mean c'mon..........it doesn't take an :einstein: to figure that out.
((((((HUMP DAY HUGS TO EVERYONE)))))) :woot:

body piercing (Medical opinion)

http://www.bmezine.com/news/edit/A10311/artinfec.html

The use of lidocaine with and without epinepherine is being used often by some piercers to decrease pain. It must be noted that this is a true drug and has side effects. Lidocaine is toxic in high doses and can cause seizures as well as cardiac depression. Epinephrine added to the solution decreases bleeding and increases the durig of the affect but can cause heart palpitations and cardiac problems. Therefore these drugs need to be used very cafefully in areas of high vascularity and absorbance. This is primarily in the gentital region and the tongue. EMLA a topical agent can be applied and occluded with saran wrap or other plastic sustance. This if applied 30 minutes to 2 hours ahead of time will render adequate anesthesia for most piercing if necessary. Furthermore it can be applied to allow for pain control in the immediate post-piercing time frame.

Accordingly, it is an object of this invention to provide a low price plug for use in a piercing mill having an excellent durability.

Another object of this invention is to provide a plug for use in a piercing mill formed with an oxide scale of the plug which has better insulating and lubricating properties than those of the prior art plug.

According to this invention, there is provided a plug for use in a piercing and elongating mill characterizing in that a layer of powder consisting essentially of iron oxides, i.e. FeO, Fe.sub.3 O.sub.4, Fe.sub.2 O.sub.3 or mixtures thereof is formed on the surface of the plug by spraying said powder in a molten state. The powder may also contain oxides of chromium, nickel, cobalt, copper, manganese and alloys thereof.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4393677.html

of the accompanying drawing shows one example of the damage of a prior art plug which is used for a Mannesmann piercing mill. Thus, wear 11 and pealing-off 12 are formed at the fore end, while wrinkles 13 or cracks 14 are formed on the body portion. The wrinkles 13 are formed due to the insufficient high temperature strength, while the cracks 14 are formed due to the thermal stress and the insufficient toughness. The wear 11 and peeling-off 12 are caused by wearing away of the surface scale thereby causing seizure.

so i guess some types of piercing can cause seizures also i read some where that hitting the wrong nerve tongue piercing and other places on the body can cause seizures if i find the link again ill post it

love
angel

Last edited:
Angel, I do not believe in the numbing of piercings. For me it's like this.........pain is part of the sanctity of the whole piercing experience. The last piercing I had, they asked if I would like the numbing agent, and I refused. Reason.........pain is part of the sanctity of a piercing. :banana:
Screw that wuss numbing agent crap. If a person elects to have it, then they shouldn't get the piercing. There was no numbing agent when I got my first piercing. Those who need the numbing agent shoudn't even be thinking about getting one.........sorry No bragging, but I guess I'm a hardcore bitch.......that's just the way I feel! :rock:

Bemused Oddity,

:) From what ive been reading its alot to do with infection and the lidocaine... except for the above about allergic reaction to the ear rings plugs etc... i haven't read anything about stainless steal causing seizures.. lol or just the trama of it all i guess for some i was reading and most the stuff on the site have warnings like for me infection would be something id be more worried about = Screening of Patients blah blah :bigmouth:

All clients are required to complete and sign a waiver which serves as a consent form, medical screening document and notes form. The waivers themselves are not standardized and fail to provide information on the potential contraindications of performing surgical procedures on patients with heart murmurs, prosthetic valves or transplant organs; on anyone taking drugs such as coumadin, which may cause prolonged bleeding; or on otherwise medically compromised patients (i.e. possibility of lowered resistance to infection, delayed healing and bleeding risks for clients with hepatitis B or C, advanced HIV/AIDS or liver dysfunction). thats for Body piercing .... Or for me id stress out :taz:lol actually my husband about three years ago wanted me to go have my belly button pierced:) I told him to have his done first.. then id go have mine done :pop: ... never happened...I'm still waiting;)

IM A wuss!!!! ouch! :gob: im pretty sure we all can be bitches and pricks from time to time.... :whip1: :sw:

love
angel

Last edited:
Actually (just for somethin to think about) I had a girl slip down my chair and have a super tonic seizure in my chair when I pierced her ears, urine and everything. It was a little bit scary. Now that I'm older I so don't think anything like that is worth a risk with health, my only vice is red wine in moderation, and the occasional chocolate. I'd even rip my tattoos off if I could.

:soap:

*chuckle* just saw this post....no pun intended.....I had 3 body piercings done in one session when I was in grad school. No numbers for me. The guy doing the peircing said I had a high pain tolerance. I was like, Oh? He said, yeah. The bikers he usually pierced normally pass out during the first piercing. :) What can I say...I'm one tough cookie. :)

I didn't even know they had numbing for piercings.
But I guess My pain threshold is a bit different than most peoples anyway.

Peircings + Seizures

I found this forum, because my neurologist advised me to search for tongue piercings and seizures. I have had my tongue pierced for about 5 years (no I didn't know that there was anything you could do to numb it either!) and was just diagnosed with epilepsy. I had my first Tonic-Clonic seizure in April of 2008, but suffered from petite-mals for a very long time, unfortunately when my EEG came back abnormal they didn't take it serious until a had a couple of big seizures. I am wondering if there is any truth to having a metal piercing helping cause seizures. I have since taken my piercing out, as I don't want to break my teeth or swallow it having a seizure. Want to know if anyone thinks there could be a chance it would cause a seizure?

i have my tongue peirced and have tonic clonics. its fine. it actually prevents my tounge from twisting

Thanks! I am just curious to know what neurologist meant, he told me to look up info about tongue piercings and seizures? I am also worried about biting the metal, or if i bite and break a ball, would swallow the barbell?

I don't think that you would choke on either the barbell or the ball, unless your throat has already constricted.
As far as piercings go, I've just got earrings. Nothing fancy.
Nothing in my nose, eyebrows or naval. I have seen someone continually bump into stuff after a naval piercing, and she took out the dang thing.

Back
Top Bottom