the pill

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
does the pill actually help with side effects of epilepsy? does it help with hair loss to?

It doesn't help with epilepsy, and it may have a very very slight negative effect, because it increases levels of estrogen. Estrogen can have a pro-convulsant (seizure-causing) effect in some women. So when estrogen levels are high, there may be a higher risk of seizures happening. Taking the Pill can further increase the levels of estrogen in your body, adding to the estrogen already there. However, your body gets rid of the estrogen from the Pill pretty quickly so for the most part this shouldn't make you more likely to have seizures.

Estrogen can help hair grow faster and stay on the head longer – resulting in thicker hair. But estrogen won't really help with your current hair loss unless it is being caused by an estrogen deficiency. And as noted above, the extra estrogen from the Pill doesn't hang around, so its effect would be minimal.

i told the doctor that i think my seizures are happening around same time every month and he reccomended the pill whicheva 1 it is, he said he wants to see if it is this whats causing seizures, but the doc must know what hes doing sa i explained it all to him n he reccomended this pill? am now confused, he wouldnt of prescribed me it if it was going to cause more seizures right?

Was this your regular doctor or your neurologist who suggested the Pill?

Seizures at or around the time of your monthly menses or ovulation are categorized as catemenial epilepsy. I have had these seizures since I started puberty so I can usually tell within a day or two when I will have a seizure.
The pill may or may not help, it just depends on the person. I've been on depo-provera and the bc pill, (can't remember which one it was,) and have also had an IUD 3 different times. The depo shot just helped me gain weight, the pill did nothing and the IUD helped the first time I had my first child.
If you haven't had a vaginal birth you cannot have an IUD so that may be out of the question for you.

I've had two c-sections and tried the Mirena IUD twice. I couldn't handle the constant spotting for months at a time. I'm on Seasonique which is a pack of 3 months of regular pills and a week of less strong pills that gives you a "period" any bleeding while on the pill is purely withdrawal and hormonal droppings not a real period. When I get to the less active pills I start a new pack instead of going through a fake period. I haven't had a monthly visitor in a couple years. My doctor knows I do this and doesn't care. I get frequent pregnancy tests though when i need a test or X-Ray done, that's the only drawback.

Nakamova it was my normal doctor my neiroligist wont see me amy earlier. I cant stand the side affects of keppra any longer and i had to do something. Junebug i have never had kids yet. My dictor suggested the pilk to stop my seizures to see if it is happenin at the time of the month. Because there not sure if im habing seizures or not. Carrie i feel like my doctor dont care either and it sucks.

If the Pill you will be taking contains progesterone only (no estrogen), then that might help. But you might want to check for sure.

Since catamenial seizures are triggered by having high levels of estrogen, a pill with estrogen in it won't help with your seizures, and has a very slight chance of making them worse.

i have googled it and theres only progrestoren in it, its called cerazette. so thats good.

Back
Top Bottom