probiotics

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Emee

Stalwart
Reaction score
Anyone taking this & have you have any neurological problems from it? As always, when I am thinking of starting anything new I check here first. I've had so many negative reactions from supposedly harmless supplements I'm very cautious. thanks.

Always a good idea to be cautious when adding something new to the diet --start with small quantities to see how you feel.

Generally, probiotics are considered very safe and beneficial for people with epilepsy, (though if you have a dairy allergy you should avoid dairy probiotic sources). For some people, gut problems are a seizure trigger, so adding a source of good gut bacteria (like probiotics) can be very helpful.

Our son was put on probiotics back in December, because he was having ongoing GI problems. At that time, he'd been having a bad flare up of seizures, and his doctors thought that the bowel inflammation/diarrhea was keeping his meds and fats (he's on the Ketogenic Diet) from absorbing correctly). They also gave other treatment, including digestive enzymes and zinc, and some dietary changes (and now he's all better, with both GI symptoms and seizures).

So anyway, here's our experience with probiotics -- actually, we started over-the-counter probiotics in October -- these were not the refrigerated kind -- it was called TS6 and was a sort of flavored powder that got mixed in with water. At that point in time, Jon had been having 1 to 3 tonic seizures a day prior to starting that round of probiotic, and we did not see any change in his seizure patterns. But, it also didn't help the GI problems.

Then, in early December, his docs put him on a prescription (refrigerated) probiotic capsure -- Infloran. At this point in time, he was averaging about 5 tonic seizures a week. When he first started Infloran, he had a slight increase in seizure activity, but then after about 24 hours, he returned to his former pattern. The probiotic (along with the zinc and pancreatic enzyme) did help a lot with the GI problems, and eventually -- this helped with the seizures. By the end of December, he went an entire week without a seizure. He got increasingly better, and became seizure free the end of January.

Jon's doctor does not have him an probiotics daily -- only when he has a flare-up (he had another round in February, and just finished a 3rd round last week -- he stays on them for one to two weeks). Apparently, being on probiotics all the time can have a negative effect.

So...to sum up...we did see a slight increase in seizures when probiotic was started (maybe due to die-off of yeast and bacteria causing toxins??), but then things got increasingly better so that his GI symptoms faded away, and as that happened, his seizures faded away as well.

I take a probiotic every day and have no adverse side affects.

Back
Top Bottom