Question regarding Keppra?!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I have been using Keppra for a couple of months and good results, but I did have a question. I saw somewhere that some anti-seizure medications cancels out your birth control. Is Keppra one of these? :huh: I looked on my bottle, but it doesn't say anything, so my guess would be no, but I wanted to see if anyone would have a for sure answer. Thanks -TexasMommy! :cowboy:

I would say call your pharmacist & ask. They'd probably know best.

Keppra does not interact with the birth control pills. If you're taking Keppra, the pills will still do their job.

Tegretol can screw up birth control pills but not sure about Keppra. I'd follow the ask teh pharmacist idea.

I just switched from Tegretol to Keppra starting in January, and I feel like a zombie half the time. I take Keppra XR 750 mg. twice a day, how about you? ANyone else happy or unhappy with Keppra?

from what I heard, there are 2 scenarios regarding birth control. I dont know which scenario fits with which med though, so check with your pharmacist.

1) the birth control will lose some of its effectiveness due to your AED
2) the AED will lose some of its effectiveness (or gain) on your BC because of the placebo pills not stabalizing your hormones for that week. so absorbsion will vary during that week.

Back
Top Bottom