Question for those who have tapered off of Tegretol XR

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
My Dr. said I can now taper off of the Tegretol XR I am taking with Lamictal. He feels I can now use the Lamictal alone. I don't want to do it for a few months but I was wondering how slowly you are supposed to get off of Tegretol XR. I am in no hurry. I am even willing to take 6 months.

I'm in the same situation right now. I take Keppra XR 3000mg, Tegretol XR 600mg and now added Lamictal at 50mg and increasing. The doctor wants me to keep on with the Tegretol and Keppra just the same- but add Lamictal. Once we are at a high enough dose of Lamictal and I don't have as many seizures- then we reduce the Tegretol XR slowly. I think you minus a pill each week- but that also depends on how much you're on and what your doc says.
I don't like Tegretol XR and more than happy to be off of it. I just isn't working well at all anymore. Keppra XR has worked well for my shorter CPs and I still have longer ones with a few drop attacks. Those started (drop attacks) once I began reducing my Tegretol on my own in college. Bad idea-
I thought that it would make me less sleepy and I was doing somewhat better seizure wise- so I thought I would reduce it down by one pill. Then my CPs got worse and I started falling half way to the ground and always forward, in under one second. I live upstairs in an apartment and I'm afraid of falling downstairs. I've fallen upstairs before and also fallen on my guide dog.
My friend has cought me before which made it where I didn't fall totally to the ground. Its scary to not have a warning like I do with my CPs.

Anyways- your doctor will let you know the new med schedule once your Lamictal is high enough to do the trick- then take the other medicine away slowly.

Take care,
Crystal

Personally.....

IMHO, I would ask the neurologist how slowly to taper off then do it twice (or almost twice) as slow. People have triggered seizures by going off of meds too quickly but there's really nothing to lose by going slower.

I agree with Eric. I think the body is sensitive to even tiny amounts of meds, and that it's safer to let it adjust to each increment as the tapering process goes on.

Back
Top Bottom