Repeating phrases over and over (neuropsych eval)

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

vapour

New
Reaction score
Quite a while back it was noticed by my psychologist that I repeat my phrases over and over. I had no idea I was doing this until it was pointed out. She ordered a neuropsych eval and im waiting for results. The dr said its most likely epilepsy related, anyone else have this?

Im not talking a few timea a day, I am always doing it I had no idea, now im very self concious but if I remember and try to stop myself I stumble and pause or simply cant...its strange!

Check out PANDAS/PITANDS...

Don't get caught up in the pediatric part of it as the person that came up with the acronym thinks it is an adult problem as well...Wants to change it to PANS (something like post-infectious autoimmune neuropsychiatric syndrome)

Basically strep, other bacteria, viruses, etc cause antibodies to be produced to fight off an infection. Concurrently, or months later the same antibodies can cross the blood brain barrier and react with the basal ganglia of the brain and cause various neurological problems ( OCD, anxiety, hyperactivity, etc). I guess you could describe it as rheumatic fever of the brain.

Standard care would be antibiotics or antivirals...steroids...IVIG.

Two of my family members had it this summer. One started with verbal OCD followed a week later by a fever and then a diagnosed strep infection. The other started with a sinus infection and did not get the neurological symptoms until three months post infection. Both recovered with homeopathy (they did not show progress with antibiotics although they were used). One had an allergic reaction to the antibiotics.

Thinking back...do you remember some type of infection before this started (assuming you can track that down...seeing that you did not realize this was happening until it was pointed out to you)?

Last edited:
I tend to repeat stuff too without realising it until the person I'm talking to has pointed it out. It's kind of embarrassing to hear "um, you said that like two minutes ago" or "yeah, I know, you tell me this every time you see me!".

I think its just because my memory has got pretty bad so I end up repeating stuff I've said before, or sometimes, like you said Vapour, I sort of catch myself in the middle of saying something then feel like a fool.

Hey there. I dont remember having an infection before it was pointed out this summer though I have had ocd for years but nobody has ever said anything prior to this summet.

Here is an example of my speech.

"im going to the bathroom im going to the bathroom can you watch my wallet can you watch my wallet"

Or in for example a story or something;

Are you.going to church tomorrow maybe I should go maybe I should I used to go aling time ago but I stopped I stopped. I loved going to church it was so cool! It was so cool! This one time, this one time.....this guy came in and donated a thousand dollars..what do you think? What do you think

Due to strep, my one son would repeat himself 50+ times per minute...
He kept saying "Jake house 21, Jake house" to the point that he would frustrate himself because he could not stop. I had to keep him home from school because it got so bad. He has autism so I was unable to ask him why he needed to repeat himself.

Temporal lobe epilepsy (and also autism) can cause "perseverative" speech -- which is basically the kind of repetitive phrasing you describe Vapour.

My son with autism was the one that started having the repetitive speech due to strep. Normally he did not do this. Thankfully his biomedical doc knows about PANDAS. We knew what it was right away. His neuro just said " autistic people do that". I know my son and I knew something was amiss...glad I listened to the alternative doc for sure!!!

I work or have worked with a lot of autistic people. Those who can speak repeat words or phrases constantly, those who cannot often repeat actions or movements. I work with people generally at the "low functioning" end of the autism spectrum though.

Thankyou so much for the input I appreciate it. I will look up perservative speech, maybe my docs are already aware of this.....in any case I might bring it up tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom