Restless Leg Syndrome?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

valeriedl

VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
A few months ago when I was sleeping or awake during the day or night I'd have a weird feeling in my right leg from my knee to my ankle and sometimes my foot too. I really don't know how to explain what the feeling is, something like numbness and little bit of tingling, but I just can't get my leg comfortable. I move my leg all over the place. I'll bend it, raise it, flip it to it's sides and so many other things but I just can't get it comfortable. It usually lasts about 10 min or more and it usually happens once a day.

A friend told me that he has Restless Leg Syndrome and from what he described it sounds like what I might have too. I read about it on the internet to get some more info and it does sound like Restless Leg Syndrome. I read that it is something that can be common in people with neurological disorders.

Does anyone else have it or have these things happen?

Last edited:
Yes, I experience that too, mostly at night. It's a form of RLS. I've found that taking magnesium twice a day (the second dose after dinner) can help and/or a "Supersnooze" supplement before bed (which includes magnesium, plus things like Valerian and Hops).

There can be different causes for different folks -- medications, circulation issues, etc. For some, RLS is caused by a deficiencies in magnesium, Vitamin D, iron, folate, or B12, so you could think about changing up your diet. And perhaps check with your doc about getting tested or taking supplements.

I do eat a lot of foods with these things in them but I'll try eating more of the ones that don't. I tried taking B12 once to help with my kepprage but it actually caused me to have seizures, the foods with it in them are just fine though. I don't want to take any type of sleep aid because getting too tired causes me to have double vision.

I'll try eating more of the foods that don't have these things in them and see if that helps. I'll talk to my dr too.

Thanks Nakamova!

I get this too, I thank my lucky stars that it's before I get into bed. Once there, no problems at all.

In fact it's happening right now and my leg is straight out and I'm moving my ankle in lots of different positions, lol.

My mother in law swears potassium keeps hers at bay. Won't hurt to give it a try. Maybe a banana or two.

That's so annoying CathyAnn isn't it!!!!

I can't stand bananas. My parents force fed them when I was little because I needed potassium for a childhood illness that I had. I can't even look at the things now, they make me want to throw up!

My drs have told me to eat things with potassium in them for other problems that I have and I did some reading on the internet and found out that sweet potatoes, which I love, actually have more potassium in them than bananas. I try to eat a good bit of those along with foods that I read about.

Thanks Nakamova. My seizures come from both sides of my brain so I don't know if that makes a difference or not causing it.

I read that keeping your legs raised helps so I've started sleeping with a pillow under my legs from my knees down and it's help a lot. I might only wake up once during the night instead of three or four times. When it happens it's usually in the morning, instead of an hour or two after I go to bed, and I read that the longer you lay with your legs down the faster it happens.

Awful thing.my friend tried holistic that was tarantula venom and what ever mix with

Back
Top Bottom