Coping With Epilepsy Medikidz Comic Book Explains Epilepsy
Sponsored Advertisement

Go Back   Epilepsy Forum > Peer Support > The Kitchen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2019, 01:31 PM
Joined the Party

Restoring memories

Hi kids,
Has anyone been able to restore memories.
Most of my memory issues were caused by Retrograde Amnesia from being in induced comas from Status. I donít expect those memories back. Do memories come back after stopping medication?
Any experience appreciated,
Jake
Old 06-03-2019, 05:15 PM
Venerable Voice of CWE

Hi Jake,

My short term memory went down hill really bad after I had brain surgery. My neurosurgeon told me that I had so many absence and complex partial seizures that it made my hippocampus shrink and become hard so they remove the right one.
I was told to do word search puzzles, math (which I don't like) and brain teasers to better my memory and I must say it has helped a lot. My Dr. also told me to stay away from cell phones because the frequency of the cell phone can cause short term memory if it's used to often. Go on line and type in "brain teasers" and give them a try some of them are so simple they are hard. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Porkette For This Useful Post:
Jake (06-03-2019), Topcat (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 08:29 PM
CWE Supporter

Thanked 1,463 Times in 1,061 Posts
I don't think that memories will come back if you stop meds. I'm still taking meds but I've switched many through the years and it's never helped.

I don't have much left up there that happened before my first seizure when I was 27, 14 years ago. It seems like things I really liked I still remember.

My short term memory isn't that great either. I might forget things that happened a few months, weeks or even days ago. I hate it that I'll be talking with someone and I'll ask them a question I asked a few days ago and didn't remember asking it or what the answer is.

If I can relate words or names to something. I guy that I might start dating (cross my fingers) has a son named Trace, so I remember his name because you can trace something.

Crossword puzzles are great too. Many times the same question is asked in different puzzles so after a little while I remember the word. I do all sort of word puzzles that help with words and other other ones that have to make me think and have to remember something in it.
The Following User Says Thank You to valeriedl For This Useful Post:
Jake (06-03-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator / Thank You Queen

Thanked 7,341 Times in 5,421 Posts
I wonder if hypnosis might help recover some memories lost to retrograde amnesia...
The Following User Says Thank You to Nakamova For This Useful Post:
Jake (06-06-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 08:09 PM
Joined the Party

Thanks Nakamova,

I was asking this question for a man who owns a real estate investment company who developed E 30 months ago and is planning on closing his business due to his memory loss. He takes Lamictal.

I never thought about hypnosis or ever trying to regain any of my memories but it’s a thought.

Last edited by Jake; 06-04-2019 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 06-06-2019, 01:27 PM
Venerable Voice of CWE

Send a message via AIM to C0urt Send a message via Yahoo to C0urt
i got lucky, i was blogging a lot before my coma, reading back through my old blog logs helped me a restore a lot of my memories, having something to remind you, and these day's facebook memories and stuff. I am still horrible with names,
The Following User Says Thank You to C0urt For This Useful Post:
Jake (06-06-2019)
Old 07-01-2019, 01:13 PM
Weaving the Community Fabric

It was mentioned to me by the neuropsychologist my memory may actually improve after surgery, but my short-term isn't very good. Long term is as good as the average person.