scared- having two teeth pulled

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

jyearta

New
Reaction score
this will sound crazy I quess, here I'm 61, having to get 2 teeth pulled.
it has been so long since I've had any teeth pulled.

As I have gotten older, it seems I am so sensitive to just about all meds.

I hope this doesn't bring on a seizure.

Does stress bring on a seizure? I had a tooth pulled recently. Numbed up and YOINK! It was a back tooth, so it was not the easiest to pry out. No big deal. They have really gotten good, but all you need is the local. I didn't even use the pain killers.

Good luck. I think you'll be fine.

thanks for your reply. I refuse pain medic? when I broke my right wrist.

Ask your dentist about ways to make you comfortable during the procedure. Some of them will play your favorite relaxing music if you ask. Are you allergic to valium? if not, then taking a tiny amount (half a pill) might relax you enough to keep the stress at bay. They gave me half a valium when I had the laser surgery on my eyes done...

I just had an impacted wisdom tooth extracted last week, and the oral surgeon put me under IV sedation. I am taking Lamictal and Keppra XR, and he said there was no interaction between them with the sedative. But, if you're just getting two normal teeth pulled they will probably only use a local anesthetic to numb the area.

The stress for getting teeth pulled is worse than the procedure itself! Depending on the person, stress can be a trigger for seizures. If you're nervous then your dentist may consider prescribing xanax or something like it before you get an extraction. On the day of your appointment, before he numbs you up s/he may use nitrous oxide (laughing gas) to make you less aware of what's going on and reduces your anxiety.

If you don't trust your dentist, then talk to him or her or find another dentist that you like and trust and perhaps one that's understanding. If they don't like your epilepsy, then you should ask your neurologist for a referral to one that is okay with people with epilepsy. But, talk to your dentist about the anxiety and your issues. Just inform them about what medication you're taking and the dose of it, and just let them know you have epilepsy and have anxiety (if you do). I am not a dentist though, so I am not really aware of the interactions this is best for a dentist to answer. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
I'm in my early 30s and in the last few years I've had 2 wisdom teeth pulled and a root canal. Both times I didn't have problems with either. I was satiated for both and didn't have any problems with that too.

I've had several different surgeries where I've been put under heavy sedation and didn't have problems with that either.

Have you had any type of surgery since you've had epilepsy? Did you have any problems being sedated with them?

Have you had to use any pain meds for anything since having epilepsy? I have taken them several times for many different things and never had a problems with them causing seizures. The only problem is that they never seemed to do any good. I don't know if it is because of some of the other meds that I'm on or if it's just me in general that they don't.

I hate to say it but many times you don't know if you are going to have some type of reaction to something until you take it. It's one of those chances that you have to take if you have something done or if a medicine is prescribed. I didn't know that steroids would cause me to have seizures until I started taking them for back pain.

Just try to stay calm and don't let yourself get worked up about it. I know stress will bring on seizures for me so I try to stay away from it as best as I can.

Good luck :)

notime;244394 The stress for getting teeth pulled is worse than the procedure itself! Depending on the person said:
Thanks for your reply, I sure you are right, the stress of knowing this is coming up is worse than the procedure itself.

I think I will ask my oral surgeon for 1 Valium to take that day.

Last edited:
it does sound like that I know, but yes I have had teeth pulled MANY years ago.
I have most root canals and crowns.

I'm not a good DDS patient.

it does sound like that I know, but yes I have had teeth pulled MANY years ago.
I have most root canals and crowns.

I'm not a good DDS patient.

Usually IV sedation is not really in the interest of a patient since it is expensive, but you should consider asking your dentist about nitrous oxide (laughing gas) to help relax you during your procedure, wish I had some now haha. :p

I was never a good dental patient, but with a good dentist, I got a lot better. Sounds like you've had the array on your teeth. To look a things on the bright side, its just gonna take about a minute per tooth. ;)

Back
Top Bottom