Scared: So Antiepileptic Medicine will give me Dysonia and Disorders?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

niceguyVZ

New
Reaction score
I'm gonna possibly be put on meds. Problem is now i'm scared cause i'm reading how antiepileptic drugs can actually CAUSE Dystonia and movement disorders to get worse.

So if that's the case, what's the point of the meds. If they gonna make you worse?

I actually remember some time ago i was put on Gabapentin for Nerve problems(pain) for some unrelated problem(not epileptice/seizure related) i had some pain in some body part.

ANd after i took it, i started getting some twitches in my shoulders and legs.
So i can see how the meds cause stuff. So i dont' know if i trust meds.

But you guys may have more experience.
What do you say?

There are so many different types of medications that if you do develop those reactions from the med you were put on, they can switch your meds until they find something, or a combo of meds that works for you.

I've read on some meds that I take, not even epilepsy ones, that they can cause the problem that you are taking them for. It doesn't make sense at times.

I was taking steroid shots for back problems I was having a few years ago. They were causing me to have seizures but I didn't realize it until I stopped getting the shots.

I had poison ivy very bad over the summer and the dr suggested I take steroid pills. I really didn't want to take them but I was scratching my skin so bad it was bleeding. I was only going to be taking the pills for a week and I decided I could deal with seizures for a week so I'd have skin on my hands. I didn't have a single seizure when I was taking them.

I don't know if a possible side effect of steroids is seizures or not? But as I said on the shots I had them and the pills I didn't. So I don't know if that made any sort of difference either?

There were some epilepsy meds that I took that did cause me to have seizures too.

You have to take the med to see how you are going to react to it. Sometimes it's just a trial and error thing to find out if it's going to work for you.

Yep. What they said.

All medicines have side effects. Some effect certain people. If they effect you, you stop the medicine. Easy as that.

Back
Top Bottom