seizues everyday for last 9 days

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Oh Boy, Every day for the last nine days I have been having seizures, every day except on Sunday. And they are just getting worse as each day goes by. They started last Wed. with just being mild partials then by Monday some nasty partials. Yesterday I had two complex partials, followed by a migrane.

Now I am pretty sure I know exactly why I have been having them all these days and they just seem to be getting worse and more often as each day goes by. Ok, I seen my neuro on around the first of May, and at that time the seizures were starting to get worse and more often but not as often as this past week (They have never been able to get them totally under control, even with surgery in 2004) but they has subsided alot not as often or as bad, just different feelings, like the metal taste in my mouth. So back to my neuro fisit, since they have been getting worse, we decided to try me back on the name brands of two of my meds, Tegratol XR and Lamictal. Well he did write on each prescription brand only, however when it came to the Tegratol XR he had only wrote take two a day when I was taking four of the generic, I was pretty sure it should still be 4 even with it being the name brand. So I called the office and they said they would call it in as 4 a day, now when I went to pick it up it was the generic, I didn't get it and the one I had that was name brand would have been refilled as the generic.
Anyway this is getting quite long. As of Wednesday It has been the third time since my visit in May that I have called the neuro's office go try and get the right med and the right dosage called in with no luck, and now even the generic Epitol is only 2 instead of 4 a day. I am just at my wits in, I don't know what else to do. My next appt. with my neuro isn't until November.

One lucky thing, I guess, is that when my daughter went to pick up like 11 of my monthly meds (I have to take so many differerent med I have my own little private pharmacy) they did fill the give me the Tegratol XR instead of the Epitol even though it didn't have brand ness on it.

Then after getting so irrate yesterday after finding out that they still hadn't called it in right, later that day someone from my neuro's office called and I tried again to explain exactly why I needed Tegratol XR called in as brand ness and this being the 4th time now that I have talked to someone in his office I am so confused on how to explain to them why I am calling and they are also very confused, at least this lady said she would check my chart and with my neuro so we could get this figured out so hopefully maybe I will finally get the right med and the right dose of it called in. If not then I just give up I don't know what else to do this will be the fourth time now and I am at my wits in. I just feel like just go ahead and only take 2 of the pills a day and when these daily seizures go into grand-mals, which the last two times this has happend I have ended up taken to hosp my ambulance because I go into Status Epileptis. and then maybe I can get the right med with the right dose.

How frustrating! I hope you don't decide to go the ER route in order to get the right meds/dose. That has its own risks, as I'm sure you know. Is there any way to get another neurologist? If not, don't give upon with your existing one. Be a squeaky wheel. This is extremely crucial health stuff -- they need to get it right, and your pharmacy needs to get it right. It's a shame that you have to work so hard to get what should be straightforward communication. I have had similar issues with my neurologist, and it sucks.

Good luck,
Nakamova

Thinking of you SB!! Hope this gets straightened out fast.

Last edited:
One thing that stood out in your post, is your comment about being "a walking pharmacy". If seizures are increasing then you must discuss this with your healthcare team, and don't accept being brushed aside.

Stringbean, PLEASE

make sure that ALL of your doctors are well aware as to what the others are doing, and what they are prescribing. If necessary, carry your meds into your appointments in a bag with you so that they can see them, each and every time.

Sometimes, that's what you have to do just to make sure they each understand what's going on. I make sure that each of my either call each other or fax each other with what happened at each of my appointments (sorry, I'm a *itch) so they can each keep it in their files, and know just what's going on.

I, too, am literally a walking pharmacy.......I have 2 bags that I carry with me everywhere, full of meds, and vitamins both. I do understand where you're coming from....

Oh, one other thing that I do...... I keep a typed list that I update EVERY time something changes, and I give it to my doctors (each of them) EVERY time something changes. They use it to keep my file up to date.

Hope that helps a little bit....

Take care.

Meetz
:rock:

I am still trying to get this worked out, still having seizures everyday,except luckily yesterday none and only 1 mild partial Friday.

I have called again and still no response, I call the Pharmacy everyday to see if right dose has been called in and no it hasn't.
Now, I get a letter from Humana, my medicare ins and prescription coverage, stating
In response to you or your physician's recent request, we have approved coverage of the following prescription drug(s): TegretolXL 200mg. QID
This authorization is good until: Indefinite.

Then states You may obtain this med by presenting a prescription from you physican at any partcipationg pharmacy then in () in states if you do not already have a prescritption on file. Well still the right dose not called in so I am even more confused.
I hadn't checked my mail since Tuesday and did yesterday and this letter is dated July 7th.
So it seems to me that my neuro's office should have called in the right dose by now.

I am just getting more and more aggravated and teed off and I know this isn't helping to prevent these seizures hitting me almost everyday either. ]

I also have bi-polar and my pysch didn't precsribe me any other med other than the ones for depression, panic attacks and PDSD because my tegratol and lamictal are also used to treat bi-polar and I am now also noticing how the lack of med is affecting it.

Thank you to all for your advice and suggestions.
I do keep an updated list of all my meds in my wallet with my ins cards and such. The list is so long that I just hand it to them tomake a copy of because when you have to write it on a form you have to fill out there is no way enought room for me to write them all down plus I dont want a writers cramp from it. Hah!!
My neuro, when I see him only looks at my chart for my seizure meds and my blood pressure, pulse and migrane meds. and there are several other.
My pysch only wants my seizure meds and whats on my file for that office.
The doc I see that has or wants a list of all my meds is my reg doc. I have even told the others I have a list with me of all the meds I have to take and they say they only need this that or the other.

And QUESTION? anyone know what the difference is between XL and XR is because on my prescrition bottle is says XR and that is what was on the original prescrioption now on the letter I got from humana says tegratolXL and also what does QID mean is this like quarter meaning 4 a day?

Last edited:
Hmmm

I don't know that there's a difference between the XL and XR, Stringbean. You'd have to ask the pharmacist about that....HOWEVER, I DO know that the XR stands for EXtended Release, so that the medicine will release over a longer period of time in your system. And, it stays in your system longer, too.

And yes, QID stands for four times a day. :)

I think some of your doctors need to have their heads examined if they don't want to know all of the meds you're on.......OY.

Isn't that what MJ's doctors are going to be interrogated about?

Actuallly, yes

I believe so. That poor guy was so messed up when he died, and with so many doctors prescribing things--and not knowing what others were prescribing, and possibly not caring--terrible things just may happen to THOSE doctors.

Back
Top Bottom