Seizure diary

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

cool1984

New
Reaction score
hi,
what to write in a Seizure diary what do they really need to no?
thanks
take care
caz

It's a good idea to write down when the seizures occur, what happens during them, how long they last, how you feel before and afterwards. And if you're not sure whether a seizure occurred or not, write it down anyway, maybe with an asterisk or a note. All these will help the docs diagnose what kinds of seizures you may be having.

Also good to track are things that might be triggers for your seizures. These include overall health (medications, headaches, infections, injuries), sleep/fatigue, metabolism (diet, nutrition, hydration), hormones, exercise, and anything that might present as an emotional, environmental, or physiological stressor. I know it seems like a lot, but once you get a handle on something that might be a trigger, then you can try to avoid it or eliminate it.

It's a good idea to write down when the seizures occur, what happens during them, how long they last, how you feel before and afterwards. And if you're not sure whether a seizure occurred or not, write it down anyway, maybe with an asterisk or a note. All these will help the docs diagnose what kinds of seizures you may be having.

Also good to track are things that might be triggers for your seizures. These include overall health (medications, headaches, infections, injuries), sleep/fatigue, metabolism (diet, nutrition, hydration), hormones, exercise, and anything that might present as an emotional, environmental, or physiological stressor. I know it seems like a lot, but once you get a handle on something that might be a trigger, then you can try to avoid it or eliminate it.

I can't add any more than this. It is what we keep track of.
I use a blank calendar that I can just print up more when we need to.

I used one of those little pocket calandars that I could keep in my purse. The week was written out on two pages.

I would write in when I had a sez and as was said before everything else that happened around the time.

I would put little post-it tabs on the days that I would have one so it would be easy to find.

Now I have an Palm Pilot. I keep track of everything in there. Even just little things- if I went to the store, out to eat or to visit someone so that I would know what was going on at the time (and so I wouldn't forget what I did, my memory is horrible)

It is set up so that you can make certain events in a different color, so if I have a major sez it is red, if it is a smaller one it is another color. I have drs appt in there too.

It's nice to have something someone else can get to incase you aren't able so that if they need the info at the time it's there.

I also keep a list of my meds, dosages and when I take them in it so that I'll have it with me any time I need it.

Dr's names and phone numbers along with important contact people (family or friends who someone can call if they need to get help for you) I keep in there too.

Everything pertaining to sezs are brightly labeled so that it is easy to find and you don't have to go searching for it if you are in a hurry.

Back
Top Bottom