Seizure Due to Decongestant?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

momof3boys

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
Ive been on Vimpat for 2 weeks now. I was on Carbatral and Keppra for over 10 years before getting on the Vimpat. My dr took me off the Carbatral due to the side effects of being on it a long time.

Ive always taken the Sudafed (Equate Brand). Never had any problems with it. This past saturday I was out with the kids and hubby doing some lawn work. That night, I see that I have allergies! The usual nose and head feeling all stuffed up, not being able to breath, lots of drainage, etc. So Monday I took some sudafed. Nothing new for me. Had no problems. It can be taken every 4-6 hours. I had taken it two times during the day that day. Tuesday night comes along and I didnt take any during the day and had taken the nose spray instead, so I took another dose before going to bed. I couldnt sleep at all that night. Ive been noticing since Ive been on the 100mgs twice a day, Im having a hard time getting to sleep. last night it wasnt til around almost 3am that I finally got to sleep. I woke up at around 6:30am, with my body being totally numb from the waiste down. My head was turned to my right, my left arm was over my body to my right side, and as I came to, I turned my head to my left and my left side of my head was just pounding! I didnt think at the time it was a seizure that occured. I tried to get up, and I felt so weak and tired, and alittle dizzy. Thats when I knew something had to of happened.

So, I give my mom a call because my husband had already left for work and I had to still get the kids up for school and take them. She came over and took the kids to school for me and had me come with her back to her house with our youngest son. She didnt want to leave me home alone incase it happened again.

I give the drs nurse a call and she gets back with me saying it couldnt be from the Vimpat, but from the Sudafed. Its weird becuase for years, like over 10 years, ive taken the sudafed with the Carbatral and Keppra and never had any problems with it. She said that Sudafed is a medication that can cause seizures.

She said to stay away from the Sudafed and I can take Mucinex or Benadryl. what suprised me is that my mom told me for years that I couldnt mix Benadryl with my medications. So to hear it from the nurse suprised me.

have any of you had problems with taking Sudafed before?

Since I've been on AED's, Sudafed has given me big problems.

It feels like my brain is literally buzzing. And my seizures increase. So I don't take it any more. It's definitely on my "no" list, which is too bad. When I had a cold Sudafed used to be a favorite.

I have problems with Benedryl now, too.

I was told long ago by my epileptologist to stay away from Benadryl because it could lower my seizure threshold.

Here is an interesting article from epilepsy.com regarding this issue:

Drugs and Supplements that May Increase the Chance for Seizures
http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/newsletter/mar11_onmymind

And these drugs are pseudoephedrines also used as stimulants. Here's a list of the common brand names:
(Sudafed is a trademark for a common brand that contains pseudoephedrine, although Sudafed PE does not contain it).

The following are some brand names of medications that previously contained pseudoephedrine, though some of them now contain phenylephrine instead.

Sudafed (Johnson & Johnson [formerly Pfizer])
Unifed (United Pharmaceutical Manufacturer-Jordan)
Actifed (Burroughs Wellcome)
Contac (GlaxoSmithKline) - contains pseudoephedrine HCL.
Sinufed (Trima - Israel Pharmaceutical company) - contains 60 mg pseudoephedrine HCL.
Claritin-D - contains Loratadine along with pseudoephedrine.
Zyrtec-D 12 Hour - contains pseudoephedrine HCL as well as cetirizine HCL.
MucinexD - contains 60 mg pseudoephedrine and 600 mg guaifenesin, an expectorant.
Eltor (Sanofi Aventis)
Allegra D (Sanofi Aventis) - contains fexofenadine along with pseudoephedrine.
Nurofen Cold & Flu (Reckitt Benckiser) - contains 200 mg ibuprofen along with 30 mg pseudoephedrine HCL
TheraFlu(NeoCitran) Contains 60mg pseudoephedrine HCl

I was told long ago by my epileptologist to stay away from Benadryl because it could lower my seizure threshold.

Here is an interesting article from epilepsy.com regarding this issue:

Drugs and Supplements that May Increase the Chance for Seizures
http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/newsletter/mar11_onmymind

And these drugs are pseudoephedrines also used as stimulants. Here's a list of the common brand names:
(Sudafed is a trademark for a common brand that contains pseudoephedrine, although Sudafed PE does not contain it).

The following are some brand names of medications that previously contained pseudoephedrine, though some of them now contain phenylephrine instead.

Sudafed (Johnson & Johnson [formerly Pfizer])
Unifed (United Pharmaceutical Manufacturer-Jordan)
Actifed (Burroughs Wellcome)
Contac (GlaxoSmithKline) - contains pseudoephedrine HCL.
Sinufed (Trima - Israel Pharmaceutical company) - contains 60 mg pseudoephedrine HCL.
Claritin-D - contains Loratadine along with pseudoephedrine.
Zyrtec-D 12 Hour - contains pseudoephedrine HCL as well as cetirizine HCL.
MucinexD - contains 60 mg pseudoephedrine and 600 mg guaifenesin, an expectorant.
Eltor (Sanofi Aventis)
Allegra D (Sanofi Aventis) - contains fexofenadine along with pseudoephedrine.
Nurofen Cold & Flu (Reckitt Benckiser) - contains 200 mg ibuprofen along with 30 mg pseudoephedrine HCL
TheraFlu(NeoCitran) Contains 60mg pseudoephedrine HCl

My mom said she was told the same thing about Benadryl from my pediatric Neurologist, That it will lower the seizure threshold. :ponder: So, I wonder why my dr's nurse would say it was ok? I just find it odd that for years i was taking the sudafed and had no problems with it. But now that Ive changed medications, Its causing seizures to occur. The nurse kept repeating herself about the Benadryl and Mucinex. those two in her eyes are safe to take. Ive taken the Mucinex with no problems. But never the Benadryl. If it does help and not cause seizures, my mom said to make sure I take it at night. It will be make sleepy... which may be good since I cant get to sleep til 2 or 3am!

During my US holiday, I had severe lung congestion and bought a cough syrup I'm not used to. It was yellow and very syrupy. It brought on sps.

Even though I'd only just been diagnosed, I'd been managing my diet for E triggers for a couple of months by then. Yellow colouring is typically a trigger for my other health problems, so I usually stay away from it. However, I was desperate, and ended up with this stuff. Bzzz went my head!

I've been told by my neurologist and family Doctor that, If I should happen to catch a cold or the flu , Since I'm on medication for my EP, I should not take any over the counter medications, especially the ones that contain DECONGESTANT or ANTIHISTIMINE as they can cause internal bleeding or even massive nose bleeds. When they mix with the other meds that I'm on, they can also trigger a seizure.
Randy

If you're on any type of anti-epileptic drugs, you should avoid anything with antihistimine in it like most cold and flu meds.as well as some alergy meds.
It is documented that antihistimine is a seizure trigger if combined with any anti-epileptic drugs.

Originally Posted by RanMan :
Forward2007,

I just had to add my piece, it's from an earlier post:

check with your pharmasist or Dr. but if you are on ANY anti-epileptic drugs, definately don't take any over the counter cold or flu meds (anything containing antihystimine and/or decongestant as the chemical reaction CAN be fatal.)

I speak from 28 years experience of being on anti-epileptic drugs.
I was told (and experienced myself) internal bleeding or nose bleeds from most headache meds exept Tylonol. That's the only one that I can take that doesn't react to my seizure meds.

I can't take aspirin, IB Profen, Advil, Exederin or Motrin, just Tylonol.

I took 2 Advil once by mistake and had massive nose bleeds that wouldn't stop. At the time I didn't think it had anything to do with the meds then it happened again just a couple of days before I had to see my neurologist. I happened to mention this to him and he was very concerned and said that I was lucky that I didn't bleed out through my stomach.

This is more of a problem in my case because I also take meds for my ulcerative colitis.

This warning is not documented on any OTC cold/flu meds literature.
I don't know why the FDA doesn't make this info manditory.

Regards

Randy

I havnt had any problems taking ibuphrophen, or migraine pills. My neurologist that I saw for the past couple of years, (Im with his partner now, since he went to a different hospital) He said to take the advil Migraine Pills due to the headaches I was experiencing all the time. He then increased my Keppra to 4000mgs a day, the max amount, I was on that for about 5 weeks and had break through seizures. I went back, and saw his partner. He put me back to the 3000mgs, but switched me to the Keppra XR and since then Ive had no more migraines.

I just found it odd that for years Ive taken the sudafed and had no problems with it at all. But then I get off the carbatral and go to Vimpat, I know my level is not where its suppose to be since Ive only been on it for two weeks now, but I had the seizure the morning after taking the sudafed. I took sudafed days prior but had no problems then.

So, til I see my dr in May, I will write down these questions and ask him then, thats if nothing Major happens between now and then.

This is just a hunch: Maybe when the brain is transitioning up or down on AEDs it's more vulnerable than at other moments because it's trying to recalibrate re-balance. So ordinarily Sudafed might not be a problem, but at this particular time it was.

This is just a hunch: Maybe when the brain is transitioning up or down on AEDs it's more vulnerable than at other moments because it's trying to recalibrate re-balance. So ordinarily Sudafed might not be a problem, but at this particular time it was.

I'm thinking the same thing. Since Im beginning a new medication and havnt reached a full level, it caused the seizure to happen. But according to the nurse, she doesnt think thats the case. even after I told her I have taken sudafed for years with the carbatral and Keppa and never had any problems with seizures occuring.

So in the meantime I am going to stay away from the sudafed and stick to the mucinex and nose sprays. I dont know if I will try the benadryl. I will bring this up to my dr in may when i see him.

I agree -- play it safe if you can, and stay away from anything that might be even slightly risky.

Next time you purchase Sudafed or Benadryl, check with the pharmasist re interactions with AEDs. Phamasists usually know more about these things than Doctors.

Randy

Next time you purchase Sudafed or Benadryl, check with the pharmasist re interactions with AEDs. Phamasists usually know more about these things than Doctors.

Randy

if I ever am interested in taking the Benadryl I will check with my pharmacist first. Ive checked with them on the Sudafed in the past and they ok'd it with my seizure meds. Thats what suprised me most when I heard not to be taking it from the nurse. I havnt taken it since tuesday evening.

A while back (like a year?) I took something to unplug my nose etc, and it caused my first nosebleed ever (aside from one where a tether ball hit me and broke my nose) and almost instanty had a CP as my nose bled like crazy.

So far the only thing I KNOW to stay AWAy from for me is NYQUIL--took it at night just after my nightly 700mg trileptal and 300mg Zonegran because I just couldnt stand the phleghm and congestion and it was all I had.Fell fast asleep and 2hrs later could not figure out how to get out of chair to pee.I was so looped up and crying and hysterical and room was swaying it was awful-couldnt even slide to the floor to crawl-just went there-NEVER AGAIN

I don't know much about sedated lowering seizure threshold but I know that I never take it beforeq bed because then I can't sleep. It may be the way it affects people's brains that it wires you up. Sorry to hear about your seizure.

My brotherin law is a pharmacist and he swears by mucinex d--the stuff you have to sign for--he never warned me against it with my aeds and its always helped but it seems to wake me up every couple hours ready to go for the day-got through a lot of holiday baking and wrapping that way and never noticed an increase in seizures even with stress of holidays with my big clan and I took it almost the whole month of December

Back
Top Bottom