Seizures and Stress? And the worst night ever..

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Kate

New
Reaction score
Sit back ya'll.. this is one long post. And I really need some help and advice. Well, and some hugs and shoulders to cry on. I just woke up, and still can't believe what happened. First of all.. my "friend" has never treated me the way she did in MY life. Otherwise, I would not have been with her.

So, as you all know, I spent the weekend with a friend. We had a great time.. but unfortunately we missed the train Friday morning. She decided not to pack till right before we were supposed to leave, and made us late. I don't like to complain.. so I tried to stay calm.

Luckily we were able to catch a bus.. my first time EVER on a Greyhound that left a bit later. And arrived back in Indianapolis Sunday around 11.

So we have a really fun weekend.. our bus leaves at 7 PM, we are at the station early, and I make sure to eat before we leave. My "friend" however, does not eat. She says she'll wait. By the time we get to Indianapolis at 11ish she is STARVING and very very gripey..

I don't like to cuss, so I won't use the words she started calling me in the car, but she didn't know the way back to the highway. I was to call my mom as soon as we got into town, so I called my mom and my "friend" starts SCREAMING at me for being on the phone. She is also cussing at me.. my poor mom hears all of this and decides to make the two hour drive to where my "friend" lives to pick me up.

My mom offers directions after hearing what my "friend" plans on doing (heading into a very unsafe neighborhood) and listening to her boyfriend. My mom used to LIVE in Indianapolis. She knows the city very well, and could have easily got us to my "friends" house.

So, my friend is still angry and cussing me out, I'm not even talking, I'm scared to death by her sharp turns, nearly running of red lights, etc. I'm just sitting there quietly shedding tears listening to her tell her fiance on the phone I won't shut up (ironic that I'm doing the opposite) and then she suddenly turns in front of a car, I jump, grab onto the side of the car, but still am silent.. I'm scared of making her mad.

At this point, we are still in Indianapolis, but I don't see any gas stations near by. She turns around in some closed down place, and screams at me "IF MY DRIVING IS BOTHERING YOU SO MUCH JUST *insert cuss word* GET OUT!" I say "No. I'm okay." I'm safer with her unsafe driving then after midnight roaming around in the rain in a dark area of Indianapolis!

Her fiance finally convinces her to stop at a gas station.. as soon as she goes inside I call my mom. Im starting to feel funny. Apparently I told her I felt like I was going to have a seizure. I don't even remember. Then, I get out of the car, I slightly remember thinking I need to lay down inside (it's raining horribly) but I don't make it.. because next thing I know I wake up on the hard concrete. It's pouring. People are standing all around me.

I don't really remember a lot.. My "friend" knew I had doctors at IU Med center so even though we were closer to some random hospital, luckily she told them to take me there. That is one thing I am VERY thankful she did. I'd rather be at IU Med center than ANY other hospital in the world. I had SEVERAL seizures.. I don't think I have ever had so many in one night. And they were all grand mal. They were giving me valium in the ambulance and ugh my arm looks awful. I have a hugeeee bruise on one arm. I have never had a bruise like this as matter a fact.

No one counted how many seizures I had in the parking lot.. In the ambulance I had three seizures and then in the hospital I had two more. I was considered "status." And unfortunately lost control of my bladder and I was just a huge mess.. and yes.. my "friend" MADE FUN OF ME. When the nurses would leave the room she would say things like they were "spoiling me." Etc..

I was in so much pain and so out of it. I didn't remember a lot, I was just confused, I just wanted my parents.. I was lucky they were already on their way to pick me up from my "friends" house, so it didn't take them the entire THREE hours to get there, but it still took quite awhile.

I asked for my "friend" to leave, but she refused to because she didn't want to have to deal with my "crap" in the back of her car and she didn't want to go to her car and carry my "crap" inside until my parents got here. If I had the energy I would have asked for the nurses to make her leave the room.. but I just layed there and let her go off on me in between doctors, nurses, seizures, and medicine. At one point she was saying how she hated me because I changed after high school. Well yes, two weeks after high school I was hit head on and lost my ability to walk.. then I've gone through surgery after surgery, and I have epilepsy. Have I changed? YES. But for the worse? No. Medically for the worse? Yes.. but I think I'm a stronger person.

Honestly, I don't think the night could have been any worse. Once my parents got there she left without saying a word to me and even though my parents knew how horrible she was they thanked her for staying with me. Because thats the kind of people we are. And thats just why I didn't fight back.. I wasn't raised that way.

I don't think I have ever cried as much as I did when I saw my Mom. I have never been so glad to see her. They had to give me more medicine to calm me down. I was just so upset.. I still don't see how she could treat me like that. Especially when I'm laying there in so much pain. She was there when the nurses talked about my concussion and the huge lump and bruise on my head. The nurse told me I was so lucky the skin wasn't busted open.

My neurologist decided to raise my Keppra even more, so now I'm taking 500 mg in the morning and 500 mg at night. Still taking Topamax too. They gave me some type of pain medicine that they inject.. I think it is diladin, but I cannot spell it correctly. It's one of those that as soon as they give it to you you are veryyyy out of it. It feels exactly like morphine to me. They also gave me nausea medicine.

So after they gave me the medicine Im so loopy and tired I dont remember a whole lot. Actually a lot of this is just fuzzy memories. I know they got me to my parents vehicle.. for some reason I remember Steak N Shake.. LOL. And I slept. We would have gotten home around Monday morning, and I JUST woke up, around 1 PM on Tuesday. So.. I slept quite a bit. I woke up to use the restroom when Mom gave me my medicines but I just would fall back asleep.

I've had tons of worried phone calls from my OTHER friends, but naturally haven't heard a single thing from that other "friend." *shakes head* And she had been my best friend since high school.. Guess I learned something.

I'm trying not to be upset now.. and just focus on my health.. my head still hurts so very badly and I am in a ton of pain. As my first seizure was on concrete I have horrible bruises everywhere and my wrist is pretty sore.

Well.. I had gone seizure free for over a month. Guess like we gotta re start the count. *sigh.*

But my main question is, I was doing so well.. Can stress cause a seizure? Do you think being screamed at by my friend, the fear of her causing an accident, etc.. caused it? OR did I just randomly happen to have one then? ( I am NOT trying to pin this on her.. and do not blame it on her or anything at all. I don't think that way AT ALL. I was just wondering if stress could cause a seizure.)

Last edited:
Hey Kate!
I wanted to say sorry about what happened to you. I cant explain how I feel when I hear a "suppose to be" friend do that to you. I know the feeling. I have had a bad past with old friends. I dont know what you plan on doing with your friendship with her. I wish you the best. I say it isnt worth all of the stress and hurt you went through. You do not deserve it what so ever. Your a very kind and nice person by what I have seen on this forum. As for what I have heard about stress, yes it can cause seizures. But who knows if it caused it then. Stress is one of things that cause seizures but everyone is different. Like me I have not had a seizure when I am more stressed out, it is when I am more calm. I cant figure what is causing mine. I really hope you feel better and get everything taking care of. Take care.. :)

From Symphony in the Brain by Jim Robbins: p 58,59

Stress can also dramatically impact immune system function.

What's been added to the body of knowledge about stress in recent years is the profound impact that emotionshave on teh nervous system. A stress chemical called cortisol is emerging as a primary player in damage to the brain. "It is the master stress hormone".

"In low doses it alerts us and organizes our behavior so we make sure to protect ourselves." But in higher doses, "it leaves us stressed out, inattentive, disorganized and depressed. Severe stress affects the size of the structure [in the brain], cell death, and the number of connections between brain cells.

Research has shown that sustained exposure to cortisol can cause serious damage to the hippocampus, which affects memory, mood regulation and interpretation of space. Some researchers believe cortisol may also cause damage to other parts of the brain, notably the left prefrontal cortex. This region of the brain, right behind the forehead, is vital to humans, orchestrating emotion, arousal and attention and providing a restraint mechanism that keeps people from acting on impulse.

According to work at the Univ. of Wisconsin and elsewhere the left prefrontal cortex plays a key role in integrating positive emotion into people's lives. The tiny bit of tissue drives the networks in the brain that makes us feel good, while the right side drives anger, fear and other negative emotions. When the frequency of the two sides isn't balanced and the right side is higher than the left, people can't engage their positive emotions and become depressed.

It is a good idea to keep the brain in balance... which is what neurofeedback is so good at.
Bottom line is... stress kills brain cells.

One day you are going to live a normal, boring life. :paperbag:

But my main question is, I was doing so well.. Can stress cause a seizure? Do you think being screamed at by my friend, the fear of her causing an accident, etc.. caused it?

Yes, stress (and adrenaline responses) is a major trigger for seizures. So is a lack of sleep (or disturbed sleep schedule) and lack of food (affects blood sugar/and possibly anti-epileptic drug metabolism). I'm not sure that saying her screaming and reckless driving caused the seizure, but I think it's fair to say they contributed a lot.

I would wonder (if I were you) if it was really the stress of the bad driving/schedule disruption or the stress of seeing your "friend" out of control. Let's face it no matter what her excuse for her strange behaviour she was obviously out of control. To me that would be just as stressful as bad driving.

Honestly, I don't think the night could have been any worse. Once my parents got there she left without saying a word to me and even though my parents knew how horrible she was they thanked her for staying with me. Because thats the kind of people we are. And thats just why I didn't fight back.. I wasn't raised that way.

Just a small piece of advice: It is not bad manners to ask to be treated the way you treat others. It's actually a good way to remind people that they're behaviour is out of line. The best piece of advice I was ever given was "Standing up for yourself does not mean that you're putting anyone else down."

It's not too late to stand up for yourself. Give her a call (when you feel up to it) and say that you enjoyed the majority of your weekend together, that you've cherished her friendship through the years and that you regret that she has not. Tell her that you didn't realize that your medical condition had such an effect on her and that it left her with so little patience for you when you needed it the most.

That way if the friendship is well and truly over (and no one would blame you if that was your decision) then at least you ended it on your terms and not with her silently turning her back on you.

Just my :twocents: No hurt feelings here if you decide not to listen to any of my advice.:)

You've been so upbeat and generous here that I hate to see you upset :crying:

I'm never more stressed...

...than when I'm at odds with a friend.

The closer someone is to you...the more it will stress you out that something is going awry between you.

Your 'friend' stressed you out...you hadn't let off 'seizure-steam' in awhile...you seized...period.

I'll bet you're okay for awhile now!...but try to RELAX!
:rock:

Kate:

I am wondering if you are taking any B vitamins
since you are on Keppra? Since so much has been
posted in reference to it. You might want to talk
to your pharmacist or Doctor about this while
being on these medications, if this behavior isn't
typical for your character.

Just my humble opinion.

Hope everything calms down and cools off for all!

Yes...stress can cause a seizure. And, from what you tell us in your post, I'd say that your "friends" driving and behavior definitely contributed to your seizures. And personally, if it were me, I'd write her off as a friend. You know what....there are enough people out there in the world that are strangers that will yell, scream , and verbally abuse you. You don't have to deal with that kind of behavior in a "friend". Just think of it this way.....you learned a valuable lesson about your "friend".

^^ ditto skillefer on this one.

Kate - I have a genetic disorder called 'My Dad' ! :D ....thanks to him, and his side of the family I am genetically 'gifted' with getting stressed over the smallest of things. <that damned dad ;)>

I have two areas of stress -

1. something has peed me off, and I get a 'build-up' of anger and stress - this will reduce me to a sz.

2. I am under pressure at work, and MUST get something completed by a certain time - this turns me into a fighter, and although I don't have a sz at the time, when the 'stress-release-valve' is turned (ie. when I have accomplished the mission) is usually when I have a sz.

Just to re-cap on what happened with you, I'm confused a little (doesn't take much, I know). Why they hell did your 'friend' go off on one in the first place ? She sounds a little psychotic to me.

Personally, I would start RE-considering your future with her. People like us can do without people like that in our lives. It sounds like you have plenty of other REAL friends out there....time for a change in 'best friends' maybe ?

Thanks for the replies everyone.

As for the vitamin question, Im a little confused.. yes Im on B-6 since I started Keppra, but Im not the one who was angry at all. So Im not sure why you asked that. I was upset about the situation.. but I wasn't lashing out. She was the one who you would thing had kepRAGE lol, but she's not on any medications.

As to why she lashed out.. WHO KNOWS?! That's what we don't understand. I think it's a combination of her being tired and not eating.. but it's not like she didn't have the chance to eat. There were places we could stop and eat, etc. So it doesn't make a lot of sense. I know she used to be on medicine for depression but she refuses to take them because she can't have sex with her boyfriend on them.. However, I told her all she had to do was ask her doctor for a different medicine and she goes "ah, it's not worth the trouble." She also admits she needs therapy BUT won't go to it because it takes up too much time..

She's used to getting literally everything she wants in her life, and my seizure and her having to wait on my parents in the hospital messed up her routine, so it made her angry.. which is why she continued to yell at me in the hospital bed. Shes an only child and has never really thought of anyone but herself.. but never been as selfish and as mean as she was that night.

Needless to say, we aren't speaking anymore. I'm just trying to get over the entire whole ordeal.

feel better...

Hi kate,

Sorry about the crappy friend and seizures!! Hope you are feeling much better. It is funny how we learn who our true friends really are..sometimes it can be surprising too. People you don't think of as maybe a close friend, end up being a best friend and those you think are great and such good friends end up changing. You learn as you go along and as you get older too. as for stress and seizures..I am certainly no expert, but you know my Mom just died April 16th.Well.. I hadn't had any in a few weeks and then I had 3-4 nights in a row. Bad ones. Just what I didn't need!! I think it was all the stress, sadness and my lack of sleep for sure. All compounded. Anyways..glad you made it home and now you know what kind of person she is also. She showed her true colors. And it is nice you weren't raised like her!!! : )) She sounds like a witch!!! Very uncaring! Feel better Kate!!! Rest up!

Michelle : ))

... As to why she lashed out.. WHO KNOWS?! That's what we don't understand. I think it's a combination of her being tired and not eating..​

I get grouchy when I'm tired and hungry too.

I get grouchy when I'm tired and hungry too.

^^ I can vouch for that too....I'm not the best person to be around when I haven't had my calories.

Still, glad to hear you aren't speaking any more Kate - who needs enemies when you have 'friends' like that ?....kick her to the kerb and walk on. Sounds like she's a 'only child, spolit brat' in my opinion. She doesn't deserve decent friends like you in HER life.

Needless to say, we aren't speaking anymore. I'm just trying to get over the entire whole ordeal.

:::::::: Slamming the Train Brakes :::::::::

WHOA NELLIE! Y'all hold yer hosses thar!

(Oops gotta get my southernism outta me!)

:D

My lil' sissy and her best friend had moments like
these; and you know, she's 2.5 years younger than
I and her best friend is 1.3 years older than her,
and they're still best friends - and TRUST ME!
They have HAD their moments! I am surprised
they still have hair and have not shed any blood!
Trust me, they've lashed out, threatened, sworn
to never-ever to see each other again, nor phone,
talk, even to look at each other's face ... after a
few weeks ...

"I'm sorry"

"Me too"

"Here's I gots ya this"

"Cool Mac Davis LP! Well I jest gits ya dis!"

"Awesome! Pink - The Wall!"

And the next thing you know, all mushy again ...
Same old, same old ... One day they're going to
kill each other, the next day they're they bestest
friends in the wholest widest world! (Well, that's
what they said back then)

Today, they're Adults - they've had some issues.

"I told you not to marry that twerp"

"Well it's my life, I'll do what I want!"

(slams phone)

I'm counting the months - figure it'll be about 2-3
months, and they'll be talking again... same old,
same old. You cannot separate those two - UNTIL,
my sister's best friend lost her dad at the same time
we lost ours; things changed. Then her best friend
lost her mother about a year and half later; they no
longer are at each other's throat, and my lil' sissy
has become her children's "God-Grandma". (Well
gee, she's ALWAYS been their God-Grandma!??!!)

:huh:

Then I was "corrected" - No she was their God-
Aunt, she's their God-Grandma now. No wonder why
I get so confused!

:huh:

I don't think I know my own little sister anymore!

:ponder:

NO WORRIES ...

THIS IS MY RECOMMENDATION ...

1) Give it a week

2) You know her well, buy her something little that
you know that she likes.

3) YOU make the first move (doesn't matter who's
in the 'wrong') and wrap it up and tell her you're
"Sorry" and you want her to have this.

Trust me ... it'll work! I can tell by the way you're
typing in the messages that you have good close
rapport with each other but you just don't realize
it. I can see you and her like my little sissy and
her best friend ... at least just be thankful that you
weren't in the midst of THEIR battles! (My Gosh,
how did I ever survive through it all - I'm surprised
they didn't use grenades, bazookas, US Army Tank,
and Nuke each other! Not kidding!)

:rose: :rose: :rose:

Trust me on this!

;)

Hi Kate

Wow, if that was a friend, your enemies must be pretty bad!?! She sounds like a right cow! I just wanted to let you know that stress is probably one of the biggest triggers of epilepsy, it certainly is for me, and it was the stress of my mum and dad's divorce, and being stuck in the middle of it all that first caused me to have seizures in the first place. Do you get the aura before a seizure, or any sort of warning? I think it's so inportant to be aware of the self management of our epilepsy, and to know the causes and triggers, things to avoid, get plenty of sleep, avoid getting drunk, and of course, try and avoid stressful situations.

I think it sounds like you could do without friends like that, and the people on this web site are so friendly and understanding, if you get a bit down just jump onto this site, and we'll all cheer you up! It's great to know that everyone understands isn't it?

I hope you are feeling better and have forgotten about that night, and that "friend" hope to hear from you soon. Take care, and keep smiling!

Best Wishes

Elaine x

Back
Top Bottom