shit scared

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

New
Reaction score
hi. ive been suffering petit mal for ages. i guess since i was 14. im now 18 and recently had two grand mal seizures three weeks apart. the last being only a week ago.

I'd like to describe both the petit and the grand mal just to see if any of you had the near-exact same experiences.

i'm booked into a neurologist btw (what a wait that has turned out to be---3mths+), so pls dont reply with an "online-diagnosis isn't what we're here for", coz it isn't what i'm here for. i'm just pretty scared about it all right now and until i see the neuro i'm hoping this will help me "cope".

so here goes:

I guess the petit mal's aren't that bad, they're constant but less demanding. sure i'll blank out and sometimes fall over but without any serious spasms or concussion-like-onset. so usually i make a loud sort of noise, an odd yelp which is similar to tarzan - if that helps.
anyway so i'll either fall down or manage to keep standing but my head will bounce down unconsciously and a lot of the time the muscle in my right shoulder twitches and my entire face contracts into the ugliest, twisted forms. image-wise think: squinty, lopsided, snarling, nervous twitching, hooks pulling sideways on my lips in different directions All at once.

they're always different in length, sometimes really brief (8secs max) and it sounds like my voice broke and sometimes outrageously long (10-15secs max) and humiliating. i often just don't even know what to say, people are like "what the fuck was that" -- i just say shit i don't know, and make up something about heart problems and that noise because of "sharp pains in my chest" or something to cover up. hate lying :oops:

sometimes the petit mal are silent and i just get the brief contraction/brief unconscious blank out. once i blanked out and was sitting at the table eating weatbix and yeah... you can imagine the rest. milk, honey soggy bran face. haha (at home luckily).

anyway so they're pretty regular, reoccurring nearly everyday. the severity is different each time. sometimes several times a day.

ok and now the grand mal:

first time i was in an auditorium - my right eye started blinking ultra fast and i started turning my head to the right. i turned so far eventually my neck said no and i vaguely remembering standing so my head didn't twist off (naturally not logically) that's when i hit deck, fell backwards? not sure - was alone and no one there got a chance to tell me. i don't remember after that. i remember waking up again having an ambo team and a few people who were sitting around me were still there peering for all they were worth. but yeah my knees were swollen like golf balls and my face was puffed and red for a few days afterward.and supposedly i was really aggressive when i came to, really agitated, lashing out at the ambo ladies telling them to leave me alone and let me walk home or something crazy.

so hospitalised the doctor asked my mum (who came asap) if i was on drugs and seemed to think i was (i was wearing pretty flower power generation clothing -- cynical doctor haha) but i'm not. anyhow they were busy with really serious serious emegrency stuff so they just monitored my heart rate, injected me with something, put me on saline and yeah told us to call a neuro and left us in the dark mostly. thought it was just a one-off substance abuse thing. that's the worst. i don't do drugs. i did do weed for a bit but that's it. i was 13/14/15 but i stopped smoking it completely.

ohwell, it happened again 3 weeks after that. i was at home watching tv. same sitting down, start looking to the right then my right eye begins to blink ultra fast. this time i sort of tried to fight it and decided id better lie on the ground so i didnt fall. i guess i got halfway down and fell because i found later in the ER that my pinky was broken. woke up but wasn't aware/remembering anything coz i only started "realising" my surroundings when my sister came into the room, i was sitting at the couch like clicking or something and she was looking at me all funny saying are you ok? are you ok? (my face see it was all puffed/red blotchy again)

and i was half crying/not knowing what was going on at all but with feelings of complete terror , so i stuttered out "i'm scared. what's wrong? i dont know... what's wrong? why, what?" mass confusion i guess and awful fear. but i was still barely taking anything in. coz the next moment i was in my bed my mum sitting beside me, patting my back saying it's ok, calming me down. my sister was there, worried look on her face. i have no concept of time on this one and haven't really asked about it either (i will do now) so i'm not sure how long i lay down for but it couldn't have been longer than 30 minutes because when i was sort of better mum said I think you had another seizure, We're going to go to the hospital. Of course I was all "FUCK NO I HATE THE HOSPITAL IM NOT GOING" then 10 seconds later "YEAH let's go" coz it's basically the obvious thing to do. You feel so safe there. I accepted it was what I needed and we went.

Different doctor. He spoke to me this time. What a wank. we had the same name tho -- weird. Anyway he just said So this is your second, you're now not allowed to drive until we get word from the neuro.
But he was a wank coz he tried to talk to me about weed, saying over and over "It's ok mate everybody does it, so how often are you doing it"

I kept telling him honestly I don't, seriously I have but I don't he just kept on with the "It's ok, it's ok, i'm cool you can tell me, we're friends" shit.

Seriously that is the worst. Him thinking I was denying it. I'm honest. So that was patronising as hell. I'm drug free.

Well I've recently come off a never again one month trial of mirtazon/zyprexa. But they're not recreational. Didn't like the side effects (dry mouth 24/7)

I'm posting this because I'm freaking out about it. It gives me anxiety attacks and Im still getting the petit mal. I'm now in terror that whenever I look to my right I might not be able to gain control again and I will end up having another seizure (I'm avoiding looking that way as much as I can). I'm sometimes, actually often, convinced that I was just about to have one but I managed to ward it off and calm it away with diaphragmatic breathing and thinking about ... well sex mostly. It's a good distraction.

So that is my medical history. Say whatever you're thinking. opinions? judgements? Be nice, be truthful, share something, welcome me to the community. Advice even?

p.s. i know this is getting long-winded but do I need to mention how depressing this is. the humiliation and all. i'm hoping it's pointless because it's fucking awful

shit im rambling now but i left out that

i get that zone out thing where i stop talking/mix words up mid sentence. only orally tho. can follow my train of thought writing.

Welcome 1096

Well, it sure sounds like seizure activity to me! You have done an excellent job in describing what has happened. It's good you are seeing a neuro, after an EEG and a few other tests he may be able to determine what these episodes are and what may be causing them.

Waking up from a seizure can be tramatic. As awareness returns, we are trying to put reality back together, but often have no idea what has happened to us. Combative behavor isn't all uncommon and can be mistaken for drug useage. When I had my first grand mal, I did not recognize my husband of 30 years! He scared me shitless and I just started screaming at the top of my lungs. I knew where I was and kind of what happened, but had no recollection of him, just this man standing over me. Yet when the EMT's came , they posed no precieved threat. The mind is a strange thing.

I have a friend who seizures cause him to spit into his hand first, although he has no recollections. One day he was eating lunch in the cafeteria with his doctor and a seizure happened. He spit into his hand then attacked the doctor punching him so hard he fell to the floor. As Donny came out of the seizure, he began eating again and hadn't realized anything happened, but everyone around him was staring and hostile. He couldn't undestand why. They told him what he did and he didn't believe them. This incedent cost him his job and this doctor who was his friend no longer speaks to him. Imagine, a doctor, who should be knowlegable and understanding of this neurological event, kicked Donny to the curb and got him fired.

Some doctors are just buttholes. Keep looking till you find one YOU like and one who will LISTEN to what you are saying.

We cannot control how we look, or what we do during a seizure, Sometimes I'd do this "Elvis" thing head bobbing, lip quivering, drooling. Sometimes, I'd throw furniture. Most of the simple particals , I just get spacy, can't talk, eye glaze over, I can hear, see, understand and remember what is going on but they did scare others around me.

I took the time to talk to those closest to me. I wanted them to understand what they needed to do and what NOT to do. It doesn't hurt and in a few minutes, all will be back to normal. I learned a few important things.

• I cannot control this
    It is not my fault
    If you have a problem with what happens to me, then it's your problem, get educated!
    If I could stop it, I would.
    Life is unfair.
    I will not beat myself up for something I have no control over.
    Those who really care about me will still be there, those who leave never were real friendship material.

thanks <3

p.p.s i got fired monday. from telsta. fuckheads....

sleepilepsy!

last night i'm sure i had multiple seizures in my sleep... triggered from dreams. ongoing tapping in the corner of my head and the fluttering muscles.
i'll call this "the butterfly"

they were intense but i can't say i'm certain that i had one. it felt like a jackhammer. i just have a feeling like i know i had them and remember the jackhammer & the butterfly.

Well, I wrote you a long post and lost it. Sigh.

Here's the abridged version:

Sounds like you are experiencing absense seizures, myoclonus seizures, atonic seizures and possibly complex partial seizures.

Sounds like you were not taking any meds to control the seizures. Uncontrolled seizures can lead to seizure activity getting worse (frequency, intensity) and may have contriuted to the onset of grand mals.

Hopefully your neuro will be able to find a drug that brings the seizures under control without too bad of side effects. I understand it's not easy to choose (or see) a doctor over in the UK.

There are a few things you can do to try and minimize the seizure activity. See the seizure triggers thread for a list of things to avoid/mitigate.

so i'm pretty scared about drugs as well.

so many side effects. untreated versus treatment. what if they diagnose me as being epileptic but i'm not really an epileptic, i take the drugs and incur psycho/physical harm.

needless worry?
hope so

It's a carp shoot for sure. Damned if you do, damed if you don't.

You do have choices

A.) Do nothing. Let nature take it course. If you have Epilepsy and it is NOT treated, it can get progressively worse. The seizures become more aggressive. Seizures can cause brain injury. I am living proof of that.

B.) Take medications. They can get epilepsy under control for most people. You will be monitored and have regular blood work done to make sure no liver damgae is happening. Medications are a trail and error treatment. It may take some time and several different combinations to fine the right combination that works for you.

B.) Use an alternative form of treatment other than medications, neurofeeback, holistic, etc.

Just like Birdbomb and bernard said -- "damned if you do and damned if you don't"...... and the chances of being damed are much smaller if you go aheand and do something.

One possibility you might be given is brain surgery :shock: . It frequently works well. It's certainly worth looking into.
Right now I'm working to recover from second surgery on May 18.

ok and say you go down the med lane,

is it all really expensive? :cry:

1096 said:
ok and say you go down the med lane,

is it all really expensive? :cry:

Depends on your medical coverage and the choice of meds. I have Triwest (military health insurance) My co-pay was $3 generic $9 or $21 for some name brands

I'm not sure what the system is in the UK, but generally, the older AEDs no longer have valid patents, so they are much cheaper (and available as generics though that is not recommended in the case of Dilantin).

dw looked at bernz0rs graph. rad graph bernard.

Thanks. What does "dw" mean?

turns out the appointment is on the 25th. so i have to wait. in the mean time i had another seizure. my third, it was worse. this time i pissed my pants... eek. i was at band prac with mates ive known almost my entire life so they were really cool about everything... oh god it helps to have friends who don't think you're a spazz and actually help out.

hows everyone?

Back
Top Bottom