Side effects: Nose bleeds?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

resaebiunne

Stalwart
Reaction score
Okay, I'm wondering if I'm having a new side effect experience here. Has anyone experienced nose bleeds from topamax or depakote?

For the past several weeks my nose has been nothing but bloody, and sometimes even the slightest rub will cause a serious nose bleed. Just today I was out at an event and wearing dress pants and a nice shirt and it got stained with blood first thing in the morning because of yet another #$*&#$ nose bleed. :horse:

I'm going to make an appointment with the GP tomorrow and have a looksee. This is ridiculous.

Hi resaebiunne,

When I was on Depakote it would take longer for me to stop bleeding if I cut myself. I later had a blood test and found out that the Depakote lowered my blood platelet level to a danger point. If you notice any bruises on your body call your Dr. and ask for a blood platelet level reading. This could be what's causing the nose bleeds. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Okay, I'm wondering if I'm having a new side effect experience here. Has anyone experienced nose bleeds from topamax or depakote?

For the past several weeks my nose has been nothing but bloody, and sometimes even the slightest rub will cause a serious nose bleed. Just today I was out at an event and wearing dress pants and a nice shirt and it got stained with blood first thing in the morning because of yet another #$*&#$ nose bleed. :horse:

I'm going to make an appointment with the GP tomorrow and have a looksee. This is ridiculous.

I've been on Topomax for years now and three years ago I started having nosebleeds. I went to my GP who sent me to an ENT dr. The ENT dr. took a look and said I had polyps in my nose. So in her office she performed an endoscopic procedure. The problem was resolved, or so I thought. It returned several months ago so I went back to the ENT dr. and this time she says it looks like the epistaxis is going to be a chronic thing for me. She said she could do the procedure again to get rid of the polyps OR she suggested I use a nasal gel called Ayr to use every day to keep my my nasal passages moist, because the dryness is what's causing the nosebleeds. I live in a very dry climate and need the moisture. I also have Diabetes, so I checked with my Endocrinologist to make sure my platelets and everything was ok. All was fine.

However, I still think there is something more, so maybe it is the meds.
Check this out: Epistaxis is "bleeding from the nose"
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16822894

I went to my GP today and she gave me Flonase to start, heh. Thinking it's just allergies. She said if the nose bleeds don't stop, she'll refer me to the ENT.

I went to my GP today and she gave me Flonase to start, heh. Thinking it's just allergies. She said if the nose bleeds don't stop, she'll refer me to the ENT.

I hope Flonase works for you. It didn't help me with the nose bleeds.
Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom