Sleep deprived EEG

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

AnnaM

New
Reaction score
Hey all :) ..My 3yr old son is going in for a sleep deprived EEG tomorrow. Need to keep him up till midnight tonight, wake him at 4am, he stays awake till 8am..asleep after they are done hooking him up. Not sure how long this test will be - need to call and ask. Has anyone had any luck with sleep deprived EEG in regards to catching a seizure? My son has had an ambulatory and 1 hr..His seizures are nocturnal (tonic clonic absence frontal ..if I'm remembering correctly..so much info being thrown my way)

Thanks for any help out there..

Anna

My EEGs were all sleep-deprived. They lasted less than an hour (including time for attaching and detaching the sensors), and all were able to capture abnormal readings. I didn't actually have seizures during the test, but my sleep-deprived brain did produce "classic" brainwaves for the kind of epilepsy (tonic-clonics) that I have.

It sounds like you will be sleep-deprived too. I hope it goes well tomorrow and you will get some answers.

Thanks :) ...EEG is for my son..I am his mom :) ...I read tho that they want him to go to sleep and come back later in the day...I still need to call about this tho..Been dealing with 2 and 3 yr old meltdowns this morning. Thanks so much for sharing your experience with this tho.

eta: Okay - just found out that they want him to sleep during test...not go home and come back...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom