Speech issues

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I can't speak during a complex partial. There are times when I tried and gibberish came out. I usually can't speak right away when I come out of a complex partial, either. It's like I can't get the word(s) in my brain to come out of my mouth during the post-ictal state.

I also have speech issues these days when I'm not having seizures. Like Valerie, I can't think of the word(s) I want to say and I have to describe things. Although, I'm now having a problem in that I can't think of the descriptive words either, sometimes. I can have this whole scenario in my head, but unable to communicate. Ex: I wanted to say the "Twilight" series about a week ago and I couldn't think of any titles in the series including Twilight. So, I wanted to say the young adult series with vampires and I couldn't think of the word vampire. I was having trouble coming up with the author's name (Stephanie Meyers) as well. It was so frustrating. Seizures over the years has caused the brain damage, plus I had epilepsy surgery last year on my left temporal lobe.

Last edited:
Music36 - I'm so sorry your speech issues have become more complex, and I sincerely hope that they don't get worse. I appreciate you sharing your experience with me. I've noticed a few people have mentioned temporal lobe epilepsy in regards to the speech issues, though that isn't the focus of mine. I'm in that percentage where they're not quite sure where it stems from.

350spider,

That's probably frustrating not knowing the cause. I do brain games a lot and I think that helps. Lumosity.com is good. Crossword puzzles is another good brain exercise. I'm doing a lot better now than I was in the earlier months after surgery. It's been 17 months now since my surgery.

Music36

I too regularly do Lumosity and crossword puzzles and find it helps a lot.

Music36 & Ranman - I never thought of doing brain games. It's definitely on my list now! Thanks for the tip!

Brain Games

350spider,
I feel that 'brain games' can be very helpful! I do several Sudoku puzzles each day. There are several websites that specialize in these. I use 'Sudoku Kingdom'.
Keeping your brain active is going to help with cognitive problems because the cells are going to be ready for use and not just 'taking up space' in a person's brain. :huh:
There are a lot of other sites that are for that purpose too. Just google 'brain activity sites' and you will get a list of these sites to choose from. :clap:

acshuman

I also do crossword puzzles. I may know the answer but just can't think of the word. Once I get a few letters in the spaces of the word I'll usually figure out what the word is.

I had the best time trying to figure out a word over the weekend. I wanted find out how much something cost that I could get for my cell phone but just could not think of the word it was called. I started describing it, laughing while I was. Two of the men working in the store were looking at me like I was crazy but the third started laughing with me. He told me to keep going and trying guess what it was I wanted to ask about. When I finally said "It's the thing like a CD that you put into a computer to save stuff on..." he said "Memory card?" I yelled out "YES!!!!" Both of us were still laughing with each other clear till the end.

Back
Top Bottom