spring pollen

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Emee

Stalwart
Reaction score
Is anyone else having a problem with the pollen? High is 2,000 & it was over 9,400 here yesterday. I'm very sensitive to it & have to stay inside until it's over. Even staying indoors I'm constantly coughing. I can't take antihistamines because they trigger seizures. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this? Thanks.

Don't have any suggestions as to how to handle it...but I can tell you my car is COVERED in it. Sorry it causes you so much trouble.

The unusually warm winter (at least where I am), means that pollen counts will be through the roof. :( There are some herbs like chamomile that are supposed to help with allergies, but you should check with your allergy doctor first.

It is unusually warm here, also, so the pollen is high & flowers are blooming. I now have a sinus infection and tracheitis (infected trachea), due to all this. I've been taking over the counter antihistamines, along with the anti-biotic and inhalant the dr. prescribed. The dr. didn't think the antihistamines would cause seizures for me. I also use sugar-free Halls cough drops for the cough and a Saline nasal spray for my nose.

I also think the infected trachea and shortness of breath for me is from the VNS.

I hope you find some relief.

the book "Prescription for Natural Healing", makes the following recommendations for allergy relief:
--Allergy Helper http://www.hls-herbs.com/product/Allergy-Helper.html or Zand Decongest Herbal Formula http://www.vitacost.com/Zand-Decongest-Herbal
--Eyebright tea, to reduce watery eyes/runny nose
--Licorice root, to reduce allergic inflammation
--Yerba mate (unless you're sensitive to caffeine)
--Horseradish
--If you're allergic to ragweed, don't eat canteloupe
--Have a an air purifier at home
--Try a personal air purification device like one made by Wein Products called The Air Supply. It's a miniature unit that you can wear around your neck. It sets up an invisible pure air shield against pollen and other allergens.
--Wear long pants and long-sleeved shirts outside, and change your clothes and shower as soon as you get inside.
--Acupressure and acupuncture have had some success in relieving allergy symptoms.

Thanks everyone, The neti pot or nasal rinse bottle helps some too. Changing clothes & showering after being outside helps the most.

Back
Top Bottom