Statin drugs and Epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

LynnW

New
Reaction score
I just had my cholesterol checked, and it was on the high side. It was basically unchanged from 8 years ago (last time I had it checked), despite better diet and exercise habits that I now practice. I also have a strong family history of heart problems and high cholesterol.

My cardiologist wants me to take Zocor. My neurologist says that it shouldn't be a problem (and then gave me a lecture on the wonders of statins... but that's another issue. I think he must have investments in the drug companies).

My question is... Does anyone else have any experience with statin drugs and how they mix with anti-epileptic drugs? I'm not thrilled about having to take yet another drug...especially such a controversial one. A few months ago, I had NO health problems (at least that I knew about), and now I am in the clutches of the medical world. :doctor: Is this a downward spiral into --- old age?:huh:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...12/15/linking-your-cholesterol-to-stress.aspx

The fixation on cholesterol as a major cause of heart disease defies the last 15 years of science and deflects from real causes such as the damage (via glycation) that sugars such as glucose and fructose inflict on tissues, including the lining of arteries, causing chronic inflammation and resultant plaque.

Hundreds of excellent scientific articles have linked insulin resistance and more recently leptin resistance to cardiovascular disease much more strongly than cholesterol, and they are in fact at least partially responsible for cholesterol abnormalities. For instance, insulin and leptin resistance result in "small dense" LDL particles and a greater number of particles.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2005/05/28/cholesterol-heart.aspx

I suggest you really do your homework before you take more drugs .... that will cause even more side effects. Your two illnesses may have more in common than you think.

My neurologist says that it shouldn't be a problem
This type of answer really concerns me. They have no idea how those two drugs will interreact in your individual unique system.

Talk to your local pharmacist. They are likely more knowledgeable about potential drug interactions than your neuro.

I am not a doctor!

Here is what I found on drugs.com

IMO, this is enough to make you question your doctors more closely.

Drug interaction results for the following 2 drug(s):

oxcarbazepine (trileptal)
simvastatin (Zocor)

Interactions between your selected drugs
simvastatin and oxcarbazepine (Moderate Drug-Drug)

MONITOR: Based on in vitro data, coadministration with oxcarbazepine may decrease the plasma concentrations of drugs that are substrates of the CYP450 3A4 and 3A5 isoenzymes. The mechanism is accelerated clearance due to induction of CYP450 3A activities by oxcarbazepine. In one study, a single dose of oxcarbazepine (600 mg) had no effect on the pharmacokinetics of felodipine, a CYP450 3A4 substrate, while repeated doses (450 mg twice a day) decreased the peak plasma concentration and area under the concentration-time curve of felodipine (10 mg once daily) by 34% and 28%, respectively. Likewise, in a single case study, cyclosporine trough concentrations decreased to subtherapeutic levels a little over 2 weeks after addition of oxcarbazepine in a renal transplant patient. These results indicate that enzymatic induction occurs after multiple doses.

MANAGEMENT: Caution is advised if oxcarbazepine must be used concurrently with medications that undergo metabolism by CYP450 3A4 and/or 3A5, particularly those with a narrow therapeutic range. Dosage adjustments as well as clinical and laboratory monitoring may be appropriate for some drugs whenever oxcarbazepine is added to or withdrawn from therapy.

Other drugs that your selected drugs interact with
• There are 1576 other drugs known to interact with trileptal (oxcarbazepine)

• There are 424 other drugs known to interact with Zocor (simvastatin)

Note: I am not a fan of any of the cholesterol drugs. They can cause many dangerous issues for a "potential" health problem. Personal opinion

Back
Top Bottom