Status seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi! For those of you that have seizures that repeat for hours (or never stop at all for an extended period), what emergency medication have you been given for home use? My doctor gave me Lorazepam and then Onfi to be used if I found myself going into "status" seizures...either cps or sps. Now, I've built up a tolerance for both. Are there other options I could ask my doctor about? Many thanks!

Hi seizures4ever,

I'm sorry that you had status seizure, that happened to me a few yrs. ago when my family Dr. put me on Neurontin and I would be out of it for 30 min. to 3 hrs. I took mysoline which is a little stronger than phenobarbital and it stopped the status seizures. Once I got off the Neurontin the status seizures stopped and the drug co. now has millions in lawsuits because they found out that the drug can cause seizures. I wish you only the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Howdy, Sorry to hear about your status. Here in the UK many people with epilepsy are given buccal midazolam for their seziures and people who have had previous periods of status epilepticus are given a single IM jab of diazepam.
From an ambulance perspective we carry Diazepam emulsion for IV use in people for whom it's indicated, including cocaine, repeated fits, status epilepticus, fits longer than 5 minutes or non-epileptic fits e.g. eclamptic fits or hypoglycemic fits secondary to tx with D10 or glycogen hormone.

Thank you both for responding! I'm just trying to get a grip on these before they drive me crazy. My Lorazepam used to work great and then it quit helping, and then the Onfi worked great, but now it's quit working. I think I might ask about the Diazepam. Thanks again!!

I have status seizures. It scares me, glad IM not alone. I wake in the hospital. And they say show, because of your status we have your body a lot of drugs to stop seizing. But they Don't day what our I forgot to ask. The doc has me carry lorazepam for if I feel an 'aura' to take. It just puts me to sleep but may stop something. I find weed is a perfect to compliment the medications. MMJ.

Back
Top Bottom