sticky skin

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

marion

Stalwart
Reaction score
I've developed a rather unusual (I think) side effect from Lamictal. I've been taking it for two months, increasing the dose every week, and now am taking 175 mg/day. Last time I increased the dose I noticed that my hands felt sticky. So I washed them, really scrubbed them, and it didn't matter. When they dried they were ok. Now it's all over, when my skin is wet it's sticky. Has anyone ever heard of this? It's driving me crazy.

Is it

like a rash that's weeping? If so, you need to get hold of your doctor ASAP, and get off the Lamictal, NOW.:twocents:

No, it's definitely not a rash. I can't see anything on my skin, it looks normal, and when it's dry, it's not sticky. But if it's wet, even if it's from sweating, it gets sticky, sort of like it's covered with a thin layer of honey.

It's apparently called acquired cutaneous adherence, and it's unusual. It's not known to be caused by lamictal -- but, then again, side-effects that are unusual don't normally make it into the warning package.

I would see your doctor about it.

Is the feeling sticky to others, or only to you?

Thanks for that info Occb. I'll call my doctor tomorrow. It seems unlikely to me that it's not a side effect of the lamictal, the way it just came on when I upped my dose. And at the same time I got blurred vision. I wonder if side effects go away after a while, when your body gets use to the meds. If it's a very rare side effect, my doctor my not even know about it. Do you know who would?

I don't know the answer to that Robin. I live alone and I can't drive so I haven't seen anyone for a few days.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom