stopping meds

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

angel

New
Reaction score
anyone,

I'm taking 500mg in the morning and 250mg at night any ideas to help me stop the meds you can send a private message or post here

thanks angel

That's something you should really discuss with your doctor. No one here knows your medical history like s/he does.

In general, meds should be titrated down slowly - reducing the dosage slowly every few weeks until you reach zero.

That's something you should really discuss with your doctor. No one here knows your medical history like s/he does.

In general, meds should be titrated down slowly - reducing the dosage slowly every few weeks until you reach zero.
thanks bernard... :)
i called my neuro and left a message this morning around 8am .... ive talked to family members parents and others they all agree its best for me at this time. to quit the meds...

my kidneys are more important....

thanks bernard... :)
i called my neuro and left a message this morning around 8am .... ive talked to family members parents and others they all agree its best for me at this time. to quit the meds...

my kidneys are more important....

klnopin im just quitting cold turkey as im only taking half of 1 mg
not to worried about that one ..... ive been in bed for about 4 or 5 days anyways.... not going to matter much...

angel

Angel when weaning off meds I dropped 1/2 tab every 3-4 weeks. Too fast you can have a withdrawel sz.

Riva

Angel when weaning off meds I dropped 1/2 tab every 3-4 weeks. Too fast you can have a withdrawel sz.

Riva

ok riva ill be careful the neuro's office just called me back and said it can cause kidney problems if i dont drink enough water i dont drink pop or anything like that ... some coffee and tones of water i told her again about my vur and she is talking to the doctor then going to call me back about teetering me off the meds....

i told her ill just reduce the dose of keppra 250mg at a time that im not going to take them anymore shes going to be calling me back .....

my parents and husband are going to be helping me if i need it.....i feel a little anxiety from not taking the klnopin nerves thats it.... like i said im on the couch .....

why is it so scary to tell your neuro yu dont want to take meds that make me sick ? lol i feel like a damn little kid....

love angel

Because they don't understand , when I lived in Montreal , the drs made fun of me for taking vitamins the NYC nuero perscribed. They said I was wasting my money. They were pharmacolgists.

From my expperience with the top nueros in MTL , NYC they live in their pharmacological world and understand little else. The MTl drs stole my life from me and it was some fight to get it back. SO when it comes to epleptolgists,pharmacolgists , I have little regard for them. They have little regard for their patients and their needs.
Riva

Because they don't understand , when I lived in Montreal , the drs made fun of me for taking vitamins the NYC nuero perscribed. They said I was wasting my money. They were pharmacolgists.

From my expperience with the top nueros in MTL , NYC they live in their pharmacological world and understand little else. The MTl drs stole my life from me and it was some fight to get it back. SO when it comes to epleptolgists,pharmacolgists , I have little regard for them. They have little regard for their patients and their needs.
Riva

she called me back a few min ago I'm told not to quit my meds until the doctor talks to me they made me an appointment at 2:45pm tomorrow ... im so sick i can hardly walk across the room for very long i just go bathroom and get water take meds and go to bed or sit here for a few minutes ....... I hope he will understand that i dont want to take these meds anymore... do we even have a choice?... it right now doesnt feel like it
Im 38 years old not a little kid and ive had enough

I guess that depends upon your raport with him. When I left NYC I didn't renew my BCBS and I haven't seen a Nuero or epiletolgist since .

You do whats good for you , YOUR AN ADULT. You can go for a second opionion or just do what you want . Or discuss it with your Dr????? And see how he reacts?

Its your life ,your body ,your choice!!!!!!

But find a substitute!!!!!!!

Riva

Doctors are reluctant to wean patients off of meds unless there is another option in place to control seizures. Their first priority is ensuring that you get seizures controlled.

I'm glad that you are communicating with your doc. I hope you can work out a plan that fits your needs.

Angel,

Please be very careful how you do this. You can end up in worse shape by stopping everything, even those meds of small doses, cold turkey. It's quite possible to go into status, or have major organ failure! :eek:

If you insist on coming off meds, have your doctor assist you with a plan.

NO COLD TURKEY!!!

Please promise me this. I will be worried sick about you if you do!
:crying:

Last edited:
Angel,

Please be very careful how you do this. You can end up in worse shape by stopping everything, even those meds of small doses, cold turkey. It's quite possible to go into status, or have major organ failure! :eek:

If you insist on coming off meds, have your doctor assist you with a plan.

NO COLD TURKEY!!!

Please promise me this. I will be worried sick about you if you do!
:crying:

Its ok birdy:) im doing just like they asked....until i talk to him .... dont worry.....

ANGEL:

#1 - I've posted this in various forums
and I'm going to post this again:

NEVER QUIT OR TITRATE OFF OF ANY
MEDICATION WITHOUT SUPERVISION OF
YOUR DOCTOR.

#2 - This is not a Medical Forum, we are
not Medical Doctors here and cannot
provide medical advisories; but we can
provide medical information, news, and
such the like when it becomes available
via the resources.

#3 - We are not Pharmacists nor do we
deal with Pharmacology, although we are
aware of the dangers that can result from
such individuals who toys with medications
whether it be AED or recreational drugs or
OTC or prescription drugs of other medical
reason. We can only advise you to consult
your Neurologist / Epileptologist ASAP.

#4 - If you are experiencing such severe
problematic and troublesome issues, then you
need to either go to the HOSPITAL if your
Neurologist / Epileptologist is not being responsive
in a timely fashion. There is no reason to endanger
your life. This is all the advisories we can give
you.

#5 - We cannot advise people to titrate
medications or toy with their own medications
nor can we advise people to experiment with such.
Such practice is dangerous, not only to one's health
but considering this being a public forum, people
will get the wrong idea and think "it's okay to do it"
when it is NOT okay to do it. You can kill yourself
or critically endanger your own life.

#6 - If you are NOT HAPPY with your current Doctor
you are under no obligation to continue to see him
or her. Go and search for another one who is more
open and more available that you are more comfortable
with. You should not feel like you "are in a closed box".

I do not apologize to come across in a very harsh
manner, but my deceased father was a Pharmacist
and I do have some Pharmacology knowledge and I do
know of such individuals who have "played around"
with medications and I know what had happened to
them - and I'll tell you right now where they are ...
6 feet under the ground!

Last edited:
I have made my decision to lock this
thread. No further discussions will
be made and no new threads will
arise from this.

This thread is NOW CLOSED.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom