Talk to me about eye problems and Lamictal

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

175mg per day seems pretty low I thought, especially for an adult? I'm currently on 900mg a day (400mg morning, 500mg night). It took me 12 weeks to get to this dose.
I noticed almost immediately the double vision and blurriness. I went and had my eyes tested but because the blurriness comes and goes and is frequently changing, glasses wouldn't be any real help.

Actually, I

just had an eye test today. I've been on 150 mg Lamictal (75 twice a day), along with a cocktail of other meds (Tegretol, Klonopin and Topamax) for quite a while. (over 10 years). It hasn't affected my eyesight anymore than what would be considered normal, I think.

Oddly enough, one eye went up, the other eye went down (just a smidge in both distance and the astigmatism)...but peripheral vision was perfect in both eyes, which I've not had before. It still changes my prescription, though, which is a bummer.

Rachellabella.........12 weeks is too fast for that high of a dose. 25 mg every 2 weeks is the recommended uptake/downgrade.

I had a digital retinopathy photograph done of each eye as well, because of the seizure meds, and there is some glaucoma/cataracts in my family. The first one I had done 2 years ago was great, and this one showed no change, either.

I will admit to getting double/blurry vision on occasion...usually when I have done too much computer work/reading. And I do have the eye twitching as well, though no one else seems to see it.....I just feel it. That comes and goes. Annoying as bejeezers, that is.

My partner is on Lamictal as well, and has been for 7 or 8 years. They are at 500 mg a day, the maximum dose....down from a higher dose of 600, and functioning quite well. Their vision is perfect, no glasses.

Cheers,

Meetz1064
:rock:

My doc (well the 2nd opinion doc) has me on a pack that has me going up by 50/50/100/100. On the one hand I'm concerned because I don't want to risk the rash, on the other I want to get to therapeutic dose quickly. I've heard that if you get the rash, some docs will pull you down (or even off it), and then reintroduce much more slowly, whereas others will pull you off it and that's that.

I actually start my 25 mg dose tonight for 7 days then go to 25 am and 25 pm the next week. Then another increase to 50 mg in the am / 25 pm. Eventually at week eight be up to 100 mg am & 100 mg pm.

I am currently on Keppra 1000 mg per day but after the 8 weeks we are going to try to reduce the Keppra due to all the bad side effects that its giving me.

As for eye twitching I have experienced this in the past, prior to taking any meds. This was just due to lack of sleep and thinking about work or a lot of overtime at work etc.

I hope this new med wont give me any new vision problems !!

Back
Top Bottom