Tell me about your auras

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Typically I have one of 2 kinds of auras

1. A sort of generic premonition type where I feel something is off and that a seizure might be approaching
2. The sense of having something metallic filling up my mouth

Sometimes its like I hear an evil voice that shakes me to the core, or sometimes its just a wave of negative emotions

What kind of auras do you have? And what part of your brain has been indicated as central to your seizures? I haven't had any luck finding an origin, they tell me my brain just lights up like a Christmas tree, as if I had multiple origins, my EEGs are crazy and I read as asleep when I am awake and conscious sometimes.

Anyways last night I had a different type of aura this time I saw flashes of a creepy man in a corner (in my mind not for real) or of my own limbs bending as if they were rubber (this felt very real), it started with extreme dizziness and disorientation, I couldn't seem to get my legs under me. I'd have the aura than a very small seizure, than again and again back to back so quickly I never recovered from the first until it went away and I was just dizzy. Today I am still dizzy and I am so angry today (not just grumpy from a rough night as happens but really just angry) and so incredibly disoriented even though they were all small I can't seem to recover, I have felt really off all day.
Has anyone experienced this?

For me, it starts out with a feeling that something isnt quite right... like I can tell a seizure is wanting to come on. Then comes my heart beating faster, a uprise feeling in my stomach, (nausea feeling) followed by a sense of fear or sadness... and then my head turns to the right. When I get the head turning, the best way to describe it is like a person is taking their hand and pushing my head to the right. Then sometimes if it doesnt stop before then, it will go into stiffening and jerking on my right side. They last between 30 seconds to a minute.

For me, it starts out with a feeling that something isnt quite right... like I can tell a seizure is wanting to come on. Then comes my heart beating faster, a uprise feeling in my stomach, (nausea feeling) followed by a sense of fear or sadness... and then my head turns to the right. When I get the head turning, the best way to describe it is like a person is taking their hand and pushing my head to the right. Then sometimes if it doesnt stop before then, it will go into stiffening and jerking on my right side. They last between 30 seconds to a minute.
My aura is similar to Momof3boys. When I was having grand mal the aura would be a tapping noise almost like water dripping voices and noises around me would be distorted almost like echoing at that point I knew it was coming and it was time to find a safe place. People around me knew it was coming by the fear on my face

For the most part, I haven't had auras immediately before my tonic-clonics. But once or twice I've had "breakthrough" warnings a few days prior, which felt like I was maintaining two levels of consciousness simultaneously. A bit like what happens if you're really, really tired while attending a class: simultaneously listening to the lecture and nodding off and having an instantaneous dream.

You might be interested in these CWE threads:
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f27/experience-aura-auras-2485/
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/auras-17979/
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/edgy-feelings-auras-seizures-18640/
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f22/invaluable-article-simple-partials-auras-13324/
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com...auras-determine-location-seizure-focus-18572/

I think I'm just still learning what some of my auras are like because usually I just go right into a tonic-clonic. but lately I think I've been figuring more out about some auras I do have which involve a sensation of weightlessness in the back of my head and a running dialog in my head that starts pulling me 'in' toward that weightlessness. The dialog is an "if..then" kind of simple logic form that works in layers of sorts.
These may not be auras, I've thought these may be a way my mind is healing itself or something. But it's a few days after a "very bad one" and the weightless dialog thing I know is a warning sign and starts me to panic.

I see flashing lights 2 seconds before a seizure. Yes a 2 second warning no where near good enough as can't prepare in 2 seconds. I can gaurantee that 2 seconds after my aura I go into a tonic clonic.

2 seconds isn't a lot of time my auras tend to be that way too right on top of my seizures and when I am having a aura I really can't move in any meaningful way so its not like I could do something. Petero I recognize that feeling I have had the sense that my head was floating off like a balloon a few times.
Does anyone know what type of Epilepsy they have?
How often do you have seizures?
Lately I have had seizures every day and frequently I am stuck in this cycle of getting sick having tons of seizures because I am sick and then becoming so weak and exhausted from seizing that I am getting sick all over again.

For me it starts with butterflies in my tummy, then tingling in my head and i stop being able to communicate and understand people, it feels quite nice it a wierd way, like im floating or just drifting off into a dream, and everything looks different like flat and tunnelled then i forget :/ about it really

For me it starts with butterflies in my tummy, then tingling in my head and i stop being able to communicate and understand people, it feels quite nice it a wierd way, like im floating or just drifting off into a dream, and everything looks different like flat and tunnelled then i forget :/ about it really

I don't understand people either. Have you ever seen their lips moving so you know they must be saying something but you can't hear them at all?

A bit but i can hear them it's just muffled and i don't have a clue what they're saying, but the lips thing is exactly the same

2 seconds isn't a lot of time my auras tend to be that way too right on top of my seizures and when I am having a aura I really can't move in any meaningful way so its not like I could do something. Petero I recognize that feeling I have had the sense that my head was floating off like a balloon a few times.
Does anyone know what type of Epilepsy they have?
How often do you have seizures?
Lately I have had seizures every day and frequently I am stuck in this cycle of getting sick having tons of seizures because I am sick and then becoming so weak and exhausted from seizing that I am getting sick all over again.

No it's not a lot of tie I's it. Ok I get a warning/aura but not goo enough. If it's goin o warn me turn please give me an aura 5 minutes before.

I get the muffled voices one mostly but a few times no sound at all.

That would be great a proper warning especially if I could actually move to a safer location

I've had a several different kinds of auras. The first is like a head rush that starts in the back of my head a tingling that just keeps getting stronger and stronger. The other aura I have is sparks of light off to the side of my left eye the sparks get bigger and bigger I get really scared (terrified) and when the sparks cover my whole vision that's when I black out and have a seizure. Another is when feel like I am going to fall into a hole. I can see the hole its like a spinning swirlling lights ahead of me and I know if I let myself go into the hole I will have a seizure such a strange feeling.

I've had a several different kinds of auras. The first is like a head rush that starts in the back of my head a tingling that just keeps getting stronger and stronger. The other aura I have is sparks of light off to the side of my left eye the sparks get bigger and bigger I get really scared (terrified) and when the sparks cover my whole vision that's when I black out and have a seizure. Another is when feel like I am going to fall into a hole. I can see the hole its like a spinning swirlling lights ahead of me and I know if I let myself go into the hole I will have a seizure such a strange feeling.

Your auras are quite different than mine. What kind of epilepsy/seizures do you have?

About to win the lottery

This is my first time here I have been having seizures for 8 years due to the police in oregon beating me against a concrete wall and tile floor while I was handcuffed. My auras used to be an extreme feeling of deja vu and I would put my hands togather in prayer. went crazy for a while in New Mexico saying I was a profit of god and seeing angels and deamons due to the pressure it put on my brain. I began getting disability for my gran mal seizures and had a golf ball sized tumor removed and then had a portion of my right frontal lobe removed to stop the seizures. They didnt stop but stopped during my waking hours now only happen while I'm sleeping. When I was a child like many of you I would close my eyes and be visited by an angel who would read to me from a book written in egyptian hyroglyphs. I only remember the seal on the book after 20 some years and have found it in alchemic texts usually depicted in the circle in a pic i cant post the link to...

previously while spending some time with my dying grandfather I remembered a premonition to buy an item regarding something on ebay unfortunetly some kid outbid me on the only authentic picture of billy the kid (he made millions too)

however a few months ago I had a dream/seizure while trying to envision the willing lottery numbers in this manner in which I was sleeping in a bunkbed with red sheets and there was a girl standing by the dryer and I was wishing I had remembered to play "the damn lottery numbers" I wrote down because they all hit, now I find myself having moved from alaska to california after loosing my job living in a house I found on airbnb sleeping in a bunkbed with red sheets and the girl who runs it... after the dream I was questioning my wife about when "the hell did I ever have red sheets or sleep in a bunkbed for that matter" thinking it was a memory of the past... had the seizure to match the previous one months ago 2 days ago (got the bruises to prove it) just wrote down said lotto numbers before coming to this forum, playing them tomarrow!

Hi M4dH4TT3r, welcome!

Feel free to introduce yourself in "The Foyer" forum as well...

Good luck with the lotto numbers!

Best,
Nakamova

also just out of curiosity do any of ya'll have alopecia? I remember something about hair being directly related to EM feilds and after the last surgery I started having finger sized spots of hair in my beard falling out for a few years.

For me, it starts out with a feeling that something isnt quite right... like I can tell a seizure is wanting to come on. Then comes my heart beating faster, a uprise feeling in my stomach, (nausea feeling) followed by a sense of fear or sadness...

Yep this is a a good part of mine. Usually it starts with deja vu, or maybe I'll notice things look a little different. But yeah, I get the heart beating faster and stomach uprising. And then yeah.. the fear. I had three of those last week :/ They lasted for awhile too... I really really thought I'd wake up on an ambulance. And in those three days, I had more than I'd had where I REALLY thought I'd break into a T/C in months... I actually checked my heartrate and it was 150! That's where my heart rate is on a run or riding my bike - not just sitting/standing there! (It was also that high when the EMTs got me after my last two seizures) I also feel disconnected from reality... Sounds are amplified, colors are intensified (I noticed this especially before those days last week), and then of course it's hard to speak clearly. Usually if I get episodes like those, I've had several deja vu's earlier in the day/the day before (same thing happened before my last T/C... I brushed them off at the time). I also haven't been getting enough sleep lately though :/ My schedule is all messed up, and my number of deja vu auras have increased a LOT the past two weeks.

Of course, I tell my neurologist this and he isn't sure it's seizure activity... Not the deja vu/difficulty speaking part, but the heart rate and fear... he seems to think it's panic, but I never had any issues with that before epilepsy. The fear is a result of everything else, not the cause of it! Hence why I'm going to see an epileptologist.

Your auras are quite different than mine. What kind of epilepsy/seizures do you have?

Lesional epilepsy with simple partials weekly, complex partials the odd time, and grand mals every few months. Auras are actually simple partial seizures, I noticed you referred to small seizures but those are known as simple partials, where you regain consciousness but things feel warped either physically or mentally. From the sounds of it the new feelings you're having are like my simples, which have a woman in a black room in them. Check out the link on nakamova's thread 'invaluable....' It is very relatable.

Back
Top Bottom