is there any link between deja vu and events not remembered during CPS

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

petero

New
Reaction score
When complex partial seizures involve no or little recollection of episodic events, could deja vu be an attempt to bookend memory not completed during complex partial seizures?

A simplified example- during a complex partial seizure a song is on the radio and the parietal lobe is interpreting the info, but it's not recalled after the seizure as a part of the timeline memory. Then the next time the song is heard it triggers a deja vu because the parietal lobe has previously interpreted the information but there is no way to reference the information in the memory timeline.

There is the link between temporal lobe epilepsy, the hippocampus and the hippocampus' role in episodic memory.

So I was supposing that there might be a tendency for the brain to try to fill in gaps in the episodic memory timeline when a seizure breaks up that timeline. When the song occurs again it refers back to info the parietal lobe interpreted and since the brain can reference parietal lobe information it tries to reference information also in the memory timeline, but since that was involved in the seizure there is no reference to complete the memory.

I've smelled this somewhere before...

That could be one form of what happens with deja vu. I think with classic deja vu you really are in a completely new place, but your brain insists you've been there before. So it's not a matter of filling in gaps.

But it is the case that we register a huge amount of information unconsciously that influences our conscious brain unpredictable ways.

I agree with Nakamova, it's a reasonable thesis for some proportion of all Deja Vu instances but fails to explain all deja vu. I have had extended bouts of Deja vu some lasting hours continuously , some relating to things i was sure I hadn't seen before...then on the other hand... if that memory was gone you WOULD be totally sure you were never there before because all memory of having been there would just be missing. it's an interesting notion.
I'll be thinking about this more.

Back
Top Bottom