Are there any Moms here with Epilepsy?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

momof3boys

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
Im a mom of three little boys, ages 6-4 yrs of age.

I will be having my first Video EEG done March 7th, and Im kind of nervous about leaving my little ones! Im a stay at home mom, so Im use to doing everything around the house, cleaning, laundry, taking care of the kids, etc.

My husband works full time, but he got that week off. So he will be staying at home with the kids. Well, two are in school, Kindergarten and 1st grade, the youngest still is at home. So while Im gone, he has to get the kids up in the morning, get two of them ready for school, take all 3 out to drop them off at school, and come home. Now when my husband is at work, he works first shift... (6am - 2pm) I come home after dropping the kids off at school, and most of the time, our youngest will fall back to sleep for an extra couple of hours. So I lay down with him, and then we get up and get ready for the day. I start my day off by getting myself and our youngest ready, and then its time to start with the house chores, and cleaning, laundry, etc.

Im nervous because my husband is what most mom's call.... "Lazy".
He likes to sit around and watch tv, play video games, get on the internet, etc. On his days off, he does hardly anything! I feel like my job being a "housewife" is a 24/7 job. Im just nervous that he's going to not get the stuff done while Im gone.... I got to thinking, and I started to write up a list of duties he would need to do, that I do everyday, while Im gone.

does that sound like Im being too over demanding? I just want to make sure the kids are taken care of and the house stays in one piece!

I will be 45 miles away from them, so I wont be in the same town as them.
What I think will be taking place, is my mom and husband will be taking turns being with me on a daily bases. When my husband comes to see me, he will bring our youngest, and then my mom will be here to pick up the kids from school, and the next day my mom will be with me, and my husband will be here.

I just wondered if any moms out there had been away from their kids for a period of time for any medical reasons, etc and how you handled it?

Last edited:
I'm nervous because my husband is what most mom's call.... "Lazy".
He likes to sit around and watch tv, play video games, get on the internet, etc. On his days off, he does hardly anything! I feel like my job being a "housewife" is a 24/7 job. I'm just nervous that he's going to not get the stuff done while Im gone.... I got to thinking, and I started to write up a list of duties he would need to do, that I do everyday, while I'm gone.

does that sound like I'm being too over demanding? I just want to make sure the kids are taken care of and the house stays in one piece!

Nope..

There's days where my wife isn't feeling too hot especially now that's she's pregnant that I have to pick up the slack. (through no fault of her own) This is after already putting in a 10-12hr day at work.

Hi!
I'm a mom but my son is the one with absence seizures.

I have gone out of town and left my boys under the care of my hubby for a long weekend. He ended up doing "fine". I'm sure he will get by taking care of the kids (and will have a better appreciation for what you do on a daily basis!!!)

Just remember...he will not do things exactly the way that you do. Make sure to leave him a list of things he MUST DO... but cut him some slack as he will not be used to doing what you do at the rate that you can (I don't think that most guys can multitask the way that women can:twocents:)...

Try to enjoy your time away and not stress about what is going on at home!

Thanks!

I was thinking about this last night and found myself making a list of the things I do from morning to night. LOL

After I make the majority of the list, I couldnt beleive how much stuff I did through out the day! For me, at times its not that bad. I get things done within a certain amount of time during the day.

But for my husband, he is a totally different story! When i ask him to fold a laundry basket of clothes, it takes him two hours to do it! Im kind of scared that the kids wont get ready like they are suppose to before school. But I spoke to my mom and she told me not to worry. She will be here to help out. She can see how much I do, and she herself even said that most guys dont know how to multi task, so maybe this "weeK" when Im away doing my Video EEG, will make a difference and my husband will see how much I do around here!

..... and she herself even said that most guys dont know how to multi task, so maybe this "weeK" when Im away doing my Video EEG, will make a difference and my husband will see how much I do around here!

Hi Momof3boys,

Years ago when I had my VEEG done and then the LTL, we lived 1,000 miles away from either family and at the time our children were 5 yrs. and 8 yrs. old. My husband was also a pilot, so was gone a majority of the time, anyway.
When I had the VEEG done, we had our children stay with friends part of that time and then when I was in for the lobectomy my parents and a sister came to help out. But during the time when I was recovering and no one was around to help out, my husband at the time finally did say that he didn't realize how much it took to keep up with kids and keep things going around the house. Well, well, welcome to my world!!! Too bad he didn't have the seizures and migraines to go along with it all.

I'm hoping my husband will finally see how much I do around here too! He has monday and tuesday off from work, so those days are his most lazy days. Yesterday he got to come home early since they had extra staff, and all day he played video games, watched tv and slept! I would do anything to have a day like that! Seems like the only time I get to sleep extra is when Im sick in bed!

Im just nervous about him being home with the kids alone. It takes alot to get two kids ready for school, but then take all three kids out, and then come home to do house chores, and take care of a 4 yr old, etc.

He HATES doing laundry! I cant recall the last time he even helped me with the laundry around here. I must do 3 loads a day! I go in march 7th, and they say I will be there a week... I dont know if its a Business Week, meaning monday through friday, or an actual whole 7 days! Hopefully not the whole 7 days!

My mom is worried they are going to take me off my medications. Last time they did that, I was in my teens... so about 15 years ago or longer, and I went for 11 days with no meds and no seizures. It was on the evening of the 11th day that I started having bad seizures. So bad, they didnt think they were going to get them to stop at the time! My mom told me this after they arranged the Video EEG appointment. I have to give the nurse a call and inform her of this. I dont want to get there, and be there for a certain amount of time, and risk not having any seizures if they take me off my meds, and then not have a seizure. So if they know this, they may want me to be off my medications before going there. But I dont know for sure yet. I'll have to speak to them about it.

Some people are telling me it will feel like a break for me! LOL I dont call having seizures a break, but a break from not hearing the kids fight, yeah I guess that would be considered a break somewhat! LOL

My guess is there won't be much laundry...if I'm out of town, the kids seem to wear the same clothes over and over....and over...because dad is not as picky about how they look or whether the clothes are dirty or not.

Just warn the teachers that dad is in charge for the week..I'm sure they will get the hint.:roflmao:

The teachers always know when my hubby is in charge because the backpack does not get cleaned out daily and my youngest with autism is wearing the same clothes day after day.

And, yes, the youngest may not bathe either.:roflmao::woot:

My guess is there won't be much laundry...if I'm out of town, the kids seem to wear the same clothes over and over....and over...because dad is not as picky about how they look or whether the clothes are dirty or not.

Just warn the teachers that dad is in charge for the week..I'm sure they will get the hint.:roflmao:

The teachers always know when my hubby is in charge because the backpack does not get cleaned out daily and my youngest with autism is wearing the same clothes day after day.

And, yes, the youngest may not bathe either.:roflmao::woot:

I can totally see my husband the same way! If it wasnt for me telling the kids to get in the shower before bed, they would be going to bed dirty for school the next day! My husband always forgets when they need to take a bath or shower. And if our youngest doesnt want to take a bath or shower, he just lets it go. As for clothes, yeah.... my husband has put our oldest son who is almost 7 years old, into clothing our youngest wears! I was sick a couple of weeks ago, and during that time, two days I stayed in bed while my husband got the kids ready for school those mornings. I was up by the time they got home, and when they walked in, I noticed our oldest was in a shirt that was way too little for him! I can only imagine what the teacher thought!

I think as far as the clothing goes, I will be laying out their clothes, shirt wise, that is... for my husband to get to easily. If I dont do that, who knows what they will end up wearing to school!

Oh and I will also be emailing the teachers telling them I will be gone for the week due to a medical procedure, and my husband will be in charge if they are in need to get ahold of us, etc.

Back
Top Bottom