topamax experience

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi all,

Started topamax couple of weeks back, had the face tingeling when I reached 50 mg a day (the dosage I currently take) for about two days than it was gone and besides that I just felt different but couldn't tell what was it and now I know.

Although I can imagine a verbal conversasion easaily I can't imagine anything visually, it takes alot of effort to succeedd and when I do the image dissapeares after couple of seconds.

I can't say I became stupid since I work with computers and can still function and figure out what to do at work, I can also hold a conversasion without too much problems of not finding the right word etc but this thing is just messed up, I feel like a budha monk, not a single image would cross my mind, a memory I would try to remember would be weak instead of vivid and would instantly vanish but a verbal conversasion of thoughts in my head, peace of cake. Its like the brain fog people talk about but only with pictures.

Any Ideas or similar experiences?

Topamax does help and although not as efficient as keppra at this stage, it doesn't have many side effects except couple of word missfindings and this problem. I'm planing to study biotechnology technician and I'm scared that lakc of imagination would scrue me over in all the biology and chimisty courses.

Topomax is known to cause aphasia-like symptoms. It is also know as Dopemax for this reason. I was taking a high dosage of it and couldn't focus at all. When I would sit at my computer, I would forget simple things, like how to operate it, how to spell, couldn't find words I was looking for to express myself. That has somewhat dissipated since lowering the dosage. If it still bothers you in a couple of weeks, speak to your neuro and ask for an adjustment or another medication.

Topamax is known for causing all kinds of cognitive effects. They can affect memory, reasoning ability, word finding, communication, and a whole host of other things. I used to just stare at the wall and lose track that an hour or two had gone by, as well as some of the other things mentioned.

Does the lack of pictures affect your ability to remember where things are? Where you read something on a page? A graph or illustration or diagram in a textbook? Will it make it hard to do your new job?

Any part of this that may affect your school work, you can probably get a special learning plan in place with your learning institution.

An occupational therapist might be helpful. They research what skills your new job might require and help you make those skills better.

I'm hoping your side effects even out soon. For some people, it gets better over time.

Topamax is known for causing all kinds of cognitive effects. They can affect memory, reasoning ability, word finding, communication, and a whole host of other things. I used to just stare at the wall and lose track that an hour or two had gone by, as well as some of the other things mentioned.

Does the lack of pictures affect your ability to remember where things are? Where you read something on a page? A graph or illustration or diagram in a textbook? Will it make it hard to do your new job?

Any part of this that may affect your school work, you can probably get a special learning plan in place with your learning institution.

An occupational therapist might be helpful. They research what skills your new job might require and help you make those skills better.

I'm hoping your side effects even out soon. For some people, it gets better over time.

I'm Not sure I can get most if not all of the things you mentioned in Israel like special programs etc... It might affect my study programm but will see.

and to answer your question, no, althogh I did notice I started to forget here and there more often what I was going to do or what I was going to say which sometimes just happens on its own anyway I do remember where things are usually or what I did I just read and if I will concentrate hard I would be able to see a picture in my head just not vividly enough.

Topomax is known to cause aphasia-like symptoms. It is also know as Dopemax for this reason. I was taking a high dosage of it and couldn't focus at all. When I would sit at my computer, I would forget simple things, like how to operate it, how to spell, couldn't find words I was looking for to express myself. That has somewhat dissipated since lowering the dosage. If it still bothers you in a couple of weeks, speak to your neuro and ask for an adjustment or another medication.

Yeah I know what the symptoms can be, but my dosage is only 50 mg a day.

Although I can imagine a verbal conversasion easaily I can't imagine anything visually, it takes alot of effort to succeedd and when I do the image dissapeares after couple of seconds.

I am the complete opposite of this. I can't think of the word that I want to say but I can picture of it in my head.

If I'm having a conversation with someone I'll have to describe what the word is until it gets figured out.

One example is if I'm trying to think of the freezer I'll say "the really cold thing that you keep food in. The ice cream is in there".

It's a fun game to play at times!

Topamax is tone of the few drugs that help control my seizures some, and there aren't many.
The only side effects I have of topamax now sleepiness.

I took Topamax a few years back for migraines and before that as a trial for bipolar (flop). I found something better for my migraines but I started taking it again last week, titrating up right now, for seizures that started last year after having a stroke. I lot of anti seizure meds are used for mood stabalizers for bipolar too so I know quite a few I can already tolerate side effect wise. That doesn't mean they will work on my seizures though. I am presently on lamictal, trileptal and the Topamax. God I hope these work! I have spent enough time in ER's lately!!!!!

i take topamax and and my doctor is weaning me off topamax and onto keppra because the side effects are extreme for me and i'm on a very low dosage, i have high hopes for keppra despite people warning me of kepprage because i have heard good things about it. topamax does its job ( most of the time) but the side effects are not worth it.

Back
Top Bottom