Traveling with epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hopper

New
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am from Bosnia, Europe. Next June, I am traveling to Denmark. Do you have any information on bringing medicine with you? I am currently taking 1000mg of Keppra and 200mg of Lamictal for my Complex Partial Seizures. I thought of bringing one box of each, since I am going for a week. I've never flown before, so I am a bit nervous and I don't want to go to Denmark, spend a thousand dollars and then have my medicine taken from me....

There's no reason why your meds would be taken from you. Make sure they are in clearly labeled prescription containers. It's also a good idea to carry a letter from your doctor about the prescription, in case you do need to get it re-filled for some reason. I carry a letter like that with my passport.

If I am going to be traveling for more than a week, I ask my doctor for an extra "back-up" prescription of meds, which I split between my carry-on and checked luggage, just in case either of them go missing. If I ask, my neuro will also give me a small rx for a few ativan, which could be used to stop seizures if I am far from a hospital.

Hi Hopper,
Nakamova gave you some great advice. I travel once in awhile and I always take my container with my meds and also a copy of the perscriptions I take so that way there will be no problems.
I love to fly and one thing that helps me that you may want to do is to take some gum with you because when you take off and land the air pressure can sometimes get strong and I found chewing gum helps stop that with no problems. Here's wishing you well and May God Bless You!

Sue

Back
Top Bottom