Travelling Advice (Thailand) - Help :S

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Matty123

New
Reaction score
Hi,

Ok....so never used a forum like this before to discuss my epilepsy, never normally one to talk about it but thought maybe I could get some help/advice from people here...

Basically we all want to lead as normal a life as possible and do things everyone else can, one thing I have wanted to do for years is a bit of travelling. Finally the opportunity has come up to go with a friend in January for 2 months. We would like to visit Thailand, Vietnam, South Korea and China.

However a few things worry me, obviously some of these countries have various drug laws and a strict on the policy. Has anyone been travelling before with epilepsy? Is 2 months worth of medication going to be to much? Could I get letters that would be enough as evidence?

Really need help, as its a concern for me but I really really want to go.

cheers in advance
matt

Welcome to CWE Matty.

Personally I would contact the embassy or consulate for each of the countries you want to go to and ask about your concerns. I'd trust that over someone elses experiences.

I know when travelling to the US I keep my medications in my carry on baggage where it's less likely to be lost or postponed. I don't know if that's a good idea in the countries you're visiting.

If you're unsure if you need a doctors note, it'd be best to get one & not need it than the other way around.

I agree with Eric's advice. It may also be worth asking your doc for an "extra" month's prescription that you can keep in a separate back-up location. My neuro has also prescribed a small bottle of Ativan (ten pills) for travel purposes. It can be used to stop a seizure in an emergency (especially when you can't or don't want to go to the nearest ER), so you might want to look into that as well.

My neurologist has also provided me with a letter to tuck into my passport that describes my medication and why I travel with it -- ask your doc about that.

I just came back from Thailand about 3 weeks ago.. In the last year, I've been to Korea, Japan, Malaysia, Germany, Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan, and am heading to India in about 3 weeks (I do a lot of travel for work lately). Thailand and Korea were very easy as far as immigration and customs. I worry about traveling with all the meds as well. One bit of advice is to take all the meds with you in your carry on. I've heard of many people having their meds stolen from luggage in foreign countries. So far, I've had no problems at all with taking meds with me.

I take a note from my doctor listing all my meds so you can show they are prescription, but haven't needed it yet. Make sure your doctor knows where you are going and when just in case you have any problems and need to get in touch with them. I took a months worth when I did a swing through Taiwan, Japan and Hong Kong. I always take some extra which I do pack in my regular luggage, just in case.

It would be good idea to check with consulates as to their countries laws and recommendations, just to be sure. The only country I would be concerned about on your list would be Vietnam, just because I don't know anything about traveling there, but I'm sure you'll be fine.

One other thing you want to do is check on health warnings and tips for each country. Some countries have very poor water and food and other conditions (mosquitos, etc) and can make you sick, which may have some effect on you and your meds. make sure you follow travel advisories for each country! Oh, and also be sure to tell you credit card company and bank what dates you will be travelling and to which countries.... I've had mine frozen before, so now I always let them know.... (just a friendly FYI) :)

Good Luck! sounds like it'll be an awesome trip!

Last edited:
What a fantastic community.

Thanks for much for all the replies, I feel a million times better already. I will make sure I get onto those jobs and get a good letter.

Two months of medication for two types does look a little "odd", haha, thanks so much.

Matt

:agree:

I've travelled some in SE Asia. I kept an emergency supply of my most critical meds in tiny little ziplock bags in my money belt (actually my money pouch around my waist). That was a risk in that they weren't in the original containers with the prescriptions on it. But at least I was sure I would have my meds. Looking back I could have ended up in a prison. But I think it was unlikely.

Snatch and grab (cut the strap with a knife and take off) or pickpocketing is common in almost any country. Carrying meds in one's handbag, briefcase, or camera case may not be enough because one blink and it is gone. Your hotel room may have an in-room safe. Many of the places I stayed couldn't even be called a hotel room, lol....

In addition to the other excellent advice posted above, look up what your prescriptions would be called in your destination country, and in France and Great Britain. This is just in case you need them replaced. In many overseas countries you don't need a prescription. Just go to the pharmacy and tell the pharmacist what you want. Do find a western-style pharmacy when you need to. They get their drugs from reliable sources which means they are probably what they say they are. Who knows what you are actually getting in local pharmacies.

I replaced one of my meds while traveling. The country was SE Asian, but the pharmacy was French and catered to ex-pats.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom