trigger

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

joey

New
Reaction score
i think when something happens that i cant explain right away i get scared and i feel like i will have a seizure. i just posted this because this looks like one of those moments.

When I have an aura which isn't that often I get anxious.
Even when I've had almost 5 minute warning and never told any one that time it happened in a hospital lobby.

Belinda

Wow, Joey......

That's a bit, um, unnerving........I can understand why you would feel that way.......

i cant understand either, i guess its the feeling of being confused triggers something in me that is unexplainable
ohno.gif

Joey, there are a class of seizures (reflex seizures) that are triggered by being startled. I'm not sure if that is what you are talking about or not.

If you've ever been through an eathquake you'll understand the feeling joey is trying to describe.

Flight or fight response. Sheer panic and confusion. I've had a few seizures do that. Very un-nerving and can cause the person to behave irrationationly and put them in extreme danger. I was in the car when I was hit with this type a time or two, it took every thing I had to keep fron jumping out of the car and running.

i think when something happens that i cant explain right away i get scared and i feel like i will have a seizure. i just posted this because this looks like one of those moments.
Joey,
Have you considered that when you get scared [startled] your breathing naturally gets faster and this may lower your seizure threshold? Learning to consciously slow your breathing back down, get a grip, may help you get on track again after something sets you off. What you describe was true for me by the way, when I was having uncontrolled seizures.
:mrt:

Last edited:
I had two seizures tonight and before I had them I had a really long aura.that's really strange for me and of course I ended up having a complex partial and tonic-clonic.
I'm sorer than ever now my head and my back.
I went wks without a sz and they've started back. :e:

:bigmouth: :pfft::soap::roflmao:

Belinda

that sounds like a good idea . it sounds so simple but when im in that state of mind its hard to get a grip on the situation, i will definitly try it though, if im able.
92.gif

I'm soooo sorry

I had two seizures tonight and before I had them I had a really long aura.that's really strange for me and of course I ended up having a complex partial and tonic-clonic.

Belinda

to hear that you had 2 seizures tonight, Belinda. Feel better soon.

Meetz
:rock:

Belinda

hope you feel better
anim_sad.gif

Joey, Meetz
thanks I really appreciate the nice post.

I'm just sore today those seizures didn't help my back one bit oh well.

I go tomorrow and have some test done which might determine if I have surgery on my back or not.I'll find out in September when I see my doc.

Belinda:pop::ponder::paperbag::e::noevil:

Last edited:
that sounds like a good idea . it sounds so simple but when im in that state of mind its hard to get a grip on the situation, i will definitly try it though, if im able.
92.gif

It isn't easy, but it can get better with practice. Just don't be too hard on yourself when it doesn't work. It may help if you do some "rehearsals". When you are in a quiet place, imagine yourself slowing down your breathing and consciously relaxing yourself when those scared feelings come on. Again, it takes practice, give yourself time and be patient.
:rose:

:wave:Sorry to hear you had more seizures Belinda. I hope today was better!
:wave:

Belinda

Last edited:
Zoe thanks I appreciate it.

I'm still sore and I had one photosensitive seizure and went over backwards in my computer chair.

I'm ok though thanks for asking.

Belinda:e::clap:

:pfft::bigmouth::banana::noevil:

Back
Top Bottom