Trileptal causing ringing in the ears?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

azra

New
Reaction score
I was diagnosed with simple partial seizures (temporal lobe) in April this year. I've had seizures since around 2011 but I just didn't know what was happening and I never thought for a second what I was experiencing were seizures.

Anyway, I started trileptal at the end of April 2015 and all was fine, everything was controlled but it seems to have caused ringing in my eyes which isn't a listed side effect as far as I know. I'm fairly sure it's down to the medication because I've never experienced anything like this prior to starting trileptal.

To describe it: basically it feels like my hearing suddenly becomes really obscured and blurry (just imagine getting blurry vision but instead of vision it's your ears) and then immediately following this, there's a high pitched ringing in both ears for about 20 seconds. The 'blurry' part lasts about a second. So in total, it lasts not even half a minute.

I'm slightly worried about this but I'm scared about doing anything because this medication has controlled my seizures so far. Plus, my hospital seems to think it's okay to book me appointments with a different neurologist every time and they all have conflicting opinions.
Has anybody had these side effects with trileptal or other drugs?

Strange to think 6 months ago I would never have worried about something like this but after the diagnosis I'm scared that anything happening to me is due to seizures...

Thanks for your help

I've never taken trileptal--I do know that I had ringing in the ears when I was increasing Topamax and it was a listed side effect. It did eventually go away.

To describe it: basically it feels like my hearing suddenly becomes really obscured and blurry (just imagine getting blurry vision but instead of vision it's your ears) and then immediately following this, there's a high pitched ringing in both ears for about 20 seconds. The 'blurry' part lasts about a second. So in total, it lasts not even half a minute.

It could possibly be a simple partial seizure, since this lasts not even a half minute. With simple partial seizures, one can see, hear or smell things that no one else does and they only last momentarily.

http://www.epilepsy.com/learn/types-seizures/simple-partial-seizures
Sensory seizures:
These cause changes in any one of the senses.
People with sensory seizures may smell or taste things that aren't there; hear clicking, ringing, or a person's voice when there is no actual sound; or feel a sensation of "pins and needles" or numbness.

I'm slightly worried about this but I'm scared about doing anything because this medication has controlled my seizures so far. Plus, my hospital seems to think it's okay to book me appointments with a different neurologist every time and they all have conflicting opinions.
Has anybody had these side effects with trileptal or other drugs?

IMO, you should be seeing ONE dr. so you will receive quality care, unless of course, you want several different opinions, which is needed at some point.
Look into seeing an epileptoligist (a dr. specializing in epilepsy care).

I've had E for 30+ years and been on many meds, Trileptal being one. So, yes I have experienced ringing in the ears from some of the AEDs. But with Trileptal, the most serious side effect I experienced was Hyponatremia, so I had to stop the drug.

Back
Top Bottom