Trouble with oral surgeon

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

notime

Stalwart
Reaction score
Hi,

Been a little since I made a post, but just had another question. Has anyone had an experience like this with an oral surgeon? Right now, I am still waiting to see if the medicine will control my seizures. It has been a month since my last seizure.

So, now I have a darn impacted wisdom tooth that is hurting and finally saved enough money. I went to see an oral surgeon, and I put down I had epilepsy and not sure if it's because of that or what. I had to wait about an hour and half after my appointment to see the oral surgeon. He came in, and looked at it with a previous xray I had done. He said that he wants me to do IV sedation, and wait a few months to the end of October when my neurologist's appointment is to make sure he okays it.

Is this oral surgeon afraid of being sued or something? He didn't say anything about an interaction between medicines. I even had to wait about an hour and 30 minutes, with patients coming in and going out. Is this discrimination or something? I mean, I have an impacted wisdom tooth that's hurting, and he wants me to wait a few months and didn't prescribe any pain medicine or anything.

Some seizure medications can interact with sedation, and also the stress of the procedure can trigger a seizure. Also, it is sometimes better to treat the infection before the tooth is removed, or more problems result. Did the dentist/surgeon talk to you about antibiotics? If not, I would suggest going back to your regular dentist who referred you, and get the details from him/her.

I'd find myself another oral surgeon. The stress of having an impacted tooth that hurts for months would far outweigh the stress of undergoing a procedure. I'd go back to the referring dentist and get a different referral, just my opinion.

I had my widsom teeth removed not long ago (well, 3 of them)
My seizures were coming roughly once a month at the time id say

My consultant opted for general anesthesia as one of the drugs they can use to put you to sleep is anti epilepsy anyways so that covers that side of it if they were to opt that way.

Sedating drugs with certain epilepsy medications can interact in a sense that both make you drowzy and dizzy and thus the effect would make the effects worse, possibly make the recovery time of iv sedation longer (eg, take longer for the effects to wear off)

I wouldn't expect anyone to wait that long with an impacted tooth, that is pretty cruel, especially with no further pain relief. If you have the option to do so i would perhaps seek another opinion.

To me, that seems like your oral surgeon is just acknowledging he doesn't know everything and is trying to be careful. He wants to consult with your neurologist to make sure everything will be OK. Personally, I find that much more reassuring than the "oh-you'll-be-just-fine" attitude some doctors assume.

Dental pain is the worst. And because it's hurting, I'd try to see if there's a way to put your neurologist in touch with your oral surgeon sooner than October. Maybe once he knows everything will be OK, he'll be more comfortable proceeding.

It's OK to ask doctors about this stuff, too! "Why?" is a perfectly valid question.

Good luck.

I had two wisdom teeth removed a few years ago and didn't have any problems with the surgeon. I think he used general anesthesia for the surgery but I'm sure having it done one way or the other probably doesn't make any difference. IV sedation may just be the way that he prefers to do things?

I'm pretty sure he talked to my neuro before doing the surgery before doing it to make sure there wouldn't be any problems. I'm not positive though because my memory isn't that great. Maybe if the surgeon does that, as said, he may feel better about things.

If this one is giving you a good bit of trouble I'd look into finding another one.

Back
Top Bottom