Valproic acid - shocking side effect for my dear child!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Amy

New
Reaction score
I am extremely upset with my child's "acute pancreatitis" diagnosis - which was found yesterday from his blood tests. I have been screaming like hell for the last 1 month to neurologist who put him on this medicine, that HE IS A DIFFERENT CHILD from day 1 & has been horrible side effects. He has a very hard time falling asleep, he has almost stopped eating, SO MANY sudden crying spellls etc etc etc. ALL THEY DID WAS TO FORCE US TO CONTINUE FOR 1 MORE MONTH....

I feel so hurt, bad, awful, sad, upset, helpless, guilty etc for having come to this stage. Thank GOD they think it is reversible at this p oint of time. I was asked to stop the medicine abruptly yesterday due to these very scary numbers.

So, right now he is ok, recovering slowly, he is on liquid diet, the drs say he needs to heal himself. Thank god, he is able to take fluids, if not they'd have admitted him in hospi with IV. Poor baby, is having horrible stomach pains on and off throughout the day especially for the last few days.....

Thanks for listening to my vent & any feedback or similar experiences / input on this would be greatly appreciated.
Please pray for my child's quick recovery.
Thanks a lot,
Amy

Oh wow... So glad you caught it in time. It can be frustrating when doctors don't listen.

Amy - Good thing that you decided to trust your instincts. I am so sorry that you have all had to go through this. You child will be in my prayers. Give him a hug.

Oh wow...I am so sorry to hear about what happened. You, your family, as well as your doctor will be in my prayers.

Glad you've caught in in time!

((((((( hugs )))))))

hugs.gif

I'm really sorry to hear that.
Every medication reacts differently to the individual.
Personally, Valproic Acid has been the ONLY medication that actually helps me somewhat.
It has come with lots side effects though,
including those emotional states and lack of eating.
Maybe it doesn't react great with children...I myself am only 17. How old is your child?

Back
Top Bottom