video EEG #2 next week

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Well, next week I start my second video EEG. With things stuck up my nose to read my brain and everything! One reason we keep doing these tests is because of determining my fitness for duty... My neurologist keeps being unsure of whether my seizures were epileptic or not because of my last two normal tests. Nevermind that I've had two T/C seizures (well four if you consider I had two each time), two abnormal tests, already had a diagnosis, and mostly get deja spells that I ignored for a long period of time until I couldn't... Anyway, so, I hope this next test turns up something. I have been having an increase in auras as of late... the past two weeks or so, I think because my medication doses have been off. Hopefully it keeps up next week as well...

I also have an idea, and I want an opinions. My FIRST T/C seizure was after taking a diet pill for energy. Nothing illegal... the doctor looked up the ingredients and it was basically a bunch of types of caffeine-related stuff. Second one wasn't anything to do with pills... Not sure if there WAS a real trigger, besides being woken up by indirect fire on our base two nights earlier at two in the morning (kinda messed with my sleep since we had to stay around for an hour or so to make sure everyone was okay). This is why I have decided to leave the military. Anyway, my thought is to bring not only energy drinks this time, but perhaps a diet pill? We are trying to trigger seizures, and usually being really sleep deprived with too much caffeine is a trigger for me. Last time I didn't have access to any of that besides some weak hospital coffee. I'm also going to ask to use some of the exercise machines, since I also exercise on a regular basis. I want to be as close to a normal routine as I can be... Though it sure is going to suck because I have a paper due that Sunday, and it's hard to write when I'm sleep deprived!

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Etc.?

Depending on what was in the diet pill, it could definitely have been a factor in triggering your initial seizure. Caffeine + things like ephedra or other stimulants can mess with your brain particularly if you have a lowered seizure threshold. So if you think a pill will produce the desired results, go for it, assuming the doctor is okay with it. Caffeinated sodas can also do the tick, since they interfere with magnesium absorption. Maybe skip a meal or two, that might help...

And good luck! How long will the vEEG last?

I did go awkwardly walk into GNC and ask for pills "for my boyfriend." Hahaha. Anyway, I don't know if I'll actually use them, but someone can have them anyway (I won't use the whole bottle!) The EEG should actually take five days - 10-15 . That's a good idea too. And I'll drink sugar free redbulls. I think I was drinking a reasonable amount of sugar-free stuff in Afghanistan. I didn't feel I was overloading caffeine, but maybe the sugar-free played some role, since I know aspartame can be pretty bad stuff.

Yes, I think aspartame was a factor in my initial seizures. Basically all I had consumed for a few days in a row were diet sodas. I was going on fumes, and now doubt suffering from the combined effects of fatigue, low blood sugar, caffeine, aspartame, and decreased magnesium -- all things that can trigger seizures...

I go in today! I'm already extremely tired and a bit stressed because a bunch of stuff just happened in my personal relationship life... *sigh*... I'm also drinking a sugar free red bull as I speak because I can hardly hold my eyes open (nerves last night because of the personal problems kept me up). I kinda hope this is just a recipe for disaster... I REALLY want something to show up this time.

Good luck. I'm sorry that things are messed up in your personal life. Relationship Stuff was another factor in my initial seizures :( I guess the only silver lining is if it stresses you enough to make the vEEG productive. I hope thing is over quickly, with the right results.

Thanks! They didn't do sleep deprived last night but I definitely woke up a few times thanks to these issues.... Sigh.... If I wasn't lying in a hospital bed I'd probably be out running. Ugh a mess. I've spent the whole morning crying. Hopefully this plays a role in my seizure activity

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Oh RunningGirl, that's tough mate.

I hope you're feeling a bit better now. How's it going in there? I survived a 2 week EEG, 2 weeks ago because of CWE so I'm sure we'll keep you going!

Thanks for the encouragement. Wobblez, two weeks sounds awful! I was keeping up a bit with your thread as well. This site is sooo useful!

Today is day two. They put in those sphenoidal (spelling?) electrodes today, so I hope something shows up. It hurt! My jaw hurts too, so eating isn't easy! I took my last medication last night, and am doing sleep deprived tonight. I've had an energy shot and am finishing off my sugar free redbull as I type! Unfortunately, I haven't even had the inkling of a seizure yet! Hopefully this will all have some effect on me starting tomorrow... Or later tonight - who knows! I still have 4.5 hours before I can sleep for a couple of hours :)

Also, the neurologist looked at my diet pills and said he wasn't super comfortable with me taking them, since they also have synephrine and another substance that I don't feel like looking at the bottle to remember the name of (like the sentence there?) It's not the same pills I had before, but most weight loss pills have all the same stuff anyway. Maybe if nothing produces anything he'll have me try them.

Ahh the unusual world of EEGs, where your friends, family and doctors say "Get worse soon!" lol. What are the nurses/doctors like? What is your room like, can you hear all the gossip on the ward? Is the food terrible? Do you have visitors coming in? I hope you're not too bored!

Oh wow I guess my last attempt at posting didn't work! Yeah I wish I would get worse soon! It's two a.m., I've had zero episodes despite my energy drinks and no medication in 24 hours... I've also been struggling to eat, so my nutrition level isn't exactly great. I also spent an hour crying earlier (trying to hide from the camera too) over this silly relationship stuff I've been dealing with. Dang it - I need my normal routine - lying in a bed is not stressful enough apparently! :)

Anyway, yeah, it's a bit boring here! No visitors because I don't live near family, and the hospital is 90 minutes from home, and everyone I know there is ALSO military, so they all have to be at work by 7 a.m... sooo.... since none of them are my husband or kids or anything along those lines, nobody is getting out of work to come visit me because their bosses are not likely to understand! :) The food is not very good, and my jaw hurts from the sphenoidal things, so it's hard to eat anyway :)

The nurses and doctor are great. Despite the bad food :) I'm thinking, though, if nothing comes up, I'm going to try to get the neuro to let me take one or two of those pills. It's worked before! I do wonder what the guys at GNC would have said if when they asked me if they could help me, I would have said "Yeah, I need to find some diet pills to trigger a seizure."

Okay, now I'm rambling :) I'm just hoping something comes of this this time...

Hope your brain gets hopping soon so you can get out of that rig...

Stupid brains...we'd be much better off without them. This is what our conversation would look like................................................................ See, no mention of epilepsy! lol

How are you doing now my friend? I've just come out of a research methods exam. Thank God that's over!!

Yeah, those sphenoidal probes are a kick. I think I could fit lettuce in my mouth the first day.

On the bright side, at least you're not a vegan. Vegan hospital food frequently consists of lettuce, vegetables and fruit. A lot of time I could tell they took about half to two thirds of the food off the plate. Then again at least they were nice about it, which was a great change that made it easier.

Hang in there. Just keep posting and best of luck to you. It's a weird experience, but it really gives you a great point of reflection on yourself and the mind in general.

Also, you can take a pic of yourself with electrodes on for humor.

Hahaha I love the idea of no brain - cause I would have no ideas :) hope the research methods exam went well! Those classes aren't easy! I have a clinical research class for my master's program coming up next semester, and am scared!

I discharge today. As happy as I am to leave I think staying longer would probably be more useful. If I do another I'm make g sure it's during my pms time cause that's when its worse.

I actually took several pictures! The one below was when I was on the exercise bike! I thought it was hilarious. a family was walking by while I was doing it too. It was like midnight and here I am on an exercise bike with electrodes on my head. I bet it was awesome to see :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1371219759507.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371219759507.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 6
Okay well I'm back home. I'm really disappointed that I had nothing :( I had way more last time, I just didn't have the sphenoids in to read the deeper brain waves :( Oh well. There is one thing that I've been looking at, and these EEGs have seemed to confirm that my menstrual cycle very much influences my seizure. I talked to the neuro about it, and he said that adding in a medication for certain times of the month may be useful.

OOOHHH, and good news. The epileptologist is recommending to my usual neurologist that I am able to drive since I remain conscious during my partial seizures. It's been well over a year since I have had a T/C seizure, and since I've had several normal EEGs, I think I should be okay :) I HOPE he agrees. Driving again will do SO much for my morale.

I just read the following in a pubmed article:
Routine electroencephalography may give normal results in patients with partial seizures. Up to four wake and sleep recordings on electroencephalography may be needed to identify interictal epileptiform discharges in 90% or more of patients with confirmed epilepsy.

So I guess maybe the fourth time's the charm. If you haven't gone crazy before then...

Congrats about the return of driving privileges! Road trip!

Back
Top Bottom