The Vimpat stopped working after 3 months

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
A week or two ago I had a “breakthrough seizure” while I was awake. At the time I thought it was because I was very fatigued from switching from Synthetic Thyroid (Synthroid) to natural Thyroid (Nature-Throid). I also had had two coffees that night because I was working a 10 hour shift that night that I was very fatigued.

In terms of taking the Vimpat, for the first 10 weeks of taking Vimpat I had had no seizures, including no seizures in my sleep. After the first two weeks of taking the Vimpat I starting reducing the 1200 mg a day Tegretol XR I was taking by 100 mg a week as planned by my Dr. After those first 10 weeks of taking Vimpat I started to have seizures in my sleep. Some of these seizures I was aware of and some of which my girlfriend noticed that I didn’t notice. This was also during the same time I was switching my Thyroid medications.

Near the end or right after finishing getting off the Tegretol XR, I was feeling what I thought were anxiety attacks from too high of a level of Thyroid hormone but looking back on it might have been simple partial seizures. I have not gotten the results back yet but I am getting my Thyroid levels checked and will get the results back this week.

Fast forwarding to now, I have had 3 breakthrough seizures while I was awake. After having two seizures in my sleep Saturday and one while I was awake Sunday, I started taking my full 1200 mg a day of Tegretol XR again Sunday night. I also am still taking the 400 mg a day of Vimpat and 500 mg a day of Lamictal.

The reason I got off the Tegretol is because it affected both the Thyroid levels and the Testosterone levels. The only other drug I can think of to go back to is Dilantin either with or without the Tegretol XR.

I'm sorry to hear that the Vimpat isn't working. It does seem that you've had a lot going on with the thyroid stuff too.

Starting Tegretol right back up at 1200mg was a tad extreme -- usually it's a good idea to ramp up slowly on any AED if possible. Did you ask your neuro about it first? More importantly, has it helped, and how are you feeling now?

I'm sorry to hear that the Vimpat isn't working. It does seem that you've had a lot going on with the thyroid stuff too.

Starting Tegretol right back up at 1200mg was a tad extreme -- usually it's a good idea to ramp up slowly on any AED if possible. Did you ask your neuro about it first? More importantly, has it helped, and how are you feeling now?

I didn't get to talk to my Dr. but I will talk to them tomorrow. The Tegretol has made a difference since I started taking it again. I used to be on 1400 mg of Tegretol a day but I know it's best to ramp up on the meds. After reading about so many people almost calling Vimpat a miricle drug it apparently isn't for everyone.

Thats not good that vimpat didnt work for you! :( But it didnt work for me either! Not everyone has the same good effects. I hope your doctor can give you answers and get things under control for you!

You were definitely right about starting Tegretol back up at 1200 mg being too much :) I was extremely dizzy and slightly nauseated. I dropped it down to the 200 mg BID that is the standard starting dose. I thought I could get away with starting at 1200 mg because I had taken that does for 5 years and 1000 mg for 17 years before that. I had only been off of Tegretol for a couple of months. Oh well.

Back
Top Bottom