Vivid Dreams

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

EmilyH

New
Reaction score
Hey i've just upped my dosage of lamotrigine to 100mg a day, and i had some more side effects, i've been having some really vivid dreams/nightmares, its gotten to the point where i can't figure out weather its a dream or a memory :ponder:

Is anyone else experiencing this?
i would love to know i'm not the only one :)

Hello and welcome! I have been on lamotrigine for about 15 years and am currently on 400mg per day. I have had very vivid dreams for my entire life (55 years) and the lamotrigine doesn't seem to have made any difference one way or the other. I have often thought that the vivid dreams have been associated with the activity in my brain which causes the epilepsy. I was diagnosed about 33 years ago but have probably had some form of undiagnosed/unrecognized seizure activity for most of my life.

I've tried many AEDs and while taking them, I've had many very vivid dreams. I no longer take Lamictal but take Keppra and a small dosage of Topomax. Some mornings when I wake, my dreams do seem soooo real. I swear that they really did happen! So it seems.
I tell myself it is just the medication.

Vivid dreams/restless sleep = known Lamictal side effect, especially when you're brain is still adjusting to a change in dosage. For me, those side effects went away after a few months, and I sleep very solidly now. You could try a supplement like Super Snooze (check with your doctor first) to see if it helps -- I've taken it help me sleep when I have a cold. It has melatonin, magnesium, valerian, skullcap, chamomile, passion flower, hops, inositol, L-taurine -- all things that soothe the brain...

thanks, if it is hust the activity in my brain and i have them for mist of my life , i hope i have more dreams than nightmares haaha!

I don't think lamictal has had any effects on my dreams or sleep. Only effects I noticed are less seizures (only one) and blurry vision that comes and goes. And maybe a few more bruises.

Happened to be on Tegretol big time, I think lamictal had the same affect. Seems like switching meds or upping the dose has made me have pretty awful nightmares. Or lucid dreaming. Last time that really hit was my increase on oxycarb. It very well could be the meds. Even when I took Keppra my dreams/sleeping habits were different.

Best of luck, hope the dreams are pleasant.

The same thing has happened to me starting a few months ago. I have much more vivid dreams than I used to and I remember the details pretty much the same as real memories.

Vivid dreams/restless sleep = known Lamictal side effect, especially when you're brain is still adjusting to a change in dosage.

For the first few months I was on lamictal I had such vivid dreams I would retell them to my wife as if I was retelling my day. They were all stupid or strange dreams. I never had any nightmares. To be honest, I kind of miss it.

Lamictal also gave me racing thoughts. Those were crazy. I was like thinking in fast forward and out of control.

I don't blame my dreams on any medication...to me that is just ignorant...I accept my dreams as they come...terrible or beautiful...it's all the same to me...inspiration

I don't blame my dreams on any medication...to me that is just ignorant.

For me, judging people with different ideas is ignorant. Don't belittle someone if they have different views. Close mindedness gives birth to terrible things.

For me, judging people with different ideas is ignorant. Don't belittle someone if they have different views. Close mindedness gives birth to terrible things.

For me, making blind assumptions and blowing things out of proportion is ignorant. Don't jump to conclusions based on nothing but your own ego...that my friend gives birth to terrible things.

FYI I WAS SPEAKING IN GENERAL...NOT DIRECTLY AT ANYONE IN PARTICULAR...BUT NICE TRY :)

Last edited:
FYI I WAS SPEAKING IN GENERAL...NOT DIRECTLY AT ANYONE IN PARTICULAR...BUT NICE TRY :)

You're right, no one in particular, just anyone who thinks their dreams are from medication. Why would you want to belittle someone on a support forum? It's great to express your ideas, but don't make others feel bad for have differing opinions. It's a sh_tty thing to do.

You're right, no one in particular, just anyone who thinks their dreams are from medication. Why would you want to belittle someone on a support forum? It's great to express your ideas, but don't make others feel bad for have differing opinions. It's a sh_tty thing to do.

Awww I love you too! :hugs:

I can have very vivid dreams,I have since I was a teen on Valium but I don't think it's meds it's usually about people I know.Last night night it was really vivid.

I can have very vivid dreams,I have since I was a teen on Valium but I don't think it's meds it's usually about people I know.Last night night it was really vivid.

Care to tell us about your dreams? I mean not if they're too personal of course...but sometimes it's hard to distinguish the difference between "reality" and dreams...dreams can play with your perception at times but in "reality" perception IS the dream and the dream is reality...

I had a dream once that my godmother died. I'll dream of my sisters who I'm not close to or of my husband Dennis who is my best friend.

I am sorry to hear that...my dreams are mostly bizarre or disturbing...demonic some would say...but I believe that all dreams are beautiful because they inspire me to create

I never remembered my dreams at all until I started lamictal in 2009. I still have them nightly, but usually only one..lol. I look forward to sleeping, it's like my own lil personal movie theater..lol.

Hi P, how's the wee one? :)

Mr e, after tons and tons of posts about vivid dreams on these types of meds, please be mindful and considerate to the ones sharing their experiences. Believing differently is perfectly fine, just remember to be polite.

Back
Top Bottom