Well, THAT was interesting.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
First, let me start by saying, as my 279th seizure free day, I know I'm blessed.

Ok, so something happened a few days ago. I'm not freaking out about it, not trying to read more into it than necessary; I guess just trying to understand it.

At my first follow-up appt after my second surgery, the nurse practitioner asked several questions about how I'd been feeling, and things that I may or may not have noticed. Specifically about spatial orientation. She proceeded to give an example of "If you drive to the mall, and park your vehicle... do you know how to get back to it?" Well, we giggled about that one afterwards, because of course I wasn't driving, 6 weeks post-brain surgery. As I hadn't even really been going anywhere yet, we agreed that I'd let her know if I noticed anything.

For work, I'm a client trainer. My conference call number has been the same since I started doing this in 2007, so has my 6 digit passcode. Several times per day, I call the number, enter my conference code#, then my passcode. I do so without thinking; it's become habit.

Last week, my phone system for work changed. I now use an VoIP application on my computer for my calls. I can dial the phone number using the mouse by clicking on the numbers, but that quickly became a pain, so instead, I chose to use the number keypad on the right side of my keyboard. Suddenly, I couldn't remember my passcode. Gone. After several incorrect attempts, I stared blankly at the keypad, and an operator came on the call to save the day, allowing me to begin teaching.

A few hours later, still a little upset and confused about what happened, I had my cell phone in my hand to call a friend. At that very moment, it hit me. The number keypad is inverted from the phone's number keypad! I'm thinking it's that spatial orientation that the nurse practitioner had asked about, and maybe not just my memory failing me? :ponder:

Definitely very trippy... I've now written down the password in case I ever blank again!

It will probably happen now and then since you've had two brain surgeries. At least you are back to working. Just keep extra pens and pads around to take notes often.

I often forget my own cell phone # but realize that since my hippocampus is my culprit, that is the problem. And we've done all we can.

Thanks Cint, and yes... hand-written notes, and lists and reminders on my phone (so that I can get alerts), are essential. I'll take that over seizures any day.

What sucks though, is when I forget to look at the list/note I've made (like what I need when at the grocery store, or what questions to ask when I'm with the neurologist). :roflmao: Yep, hippocampus is gone too. Yours right? Or Left?

I don't have anything gone yet but my neuro has been asking those questions about spacial orientation. I thought I was doing ok until after my apt this last end of Nov when my case Manager, residential superviser , daughter and son sarted pointing things out. The big one came the day I got lost in the Walmart parking lot from my daughter. Thankfully I had my phone and had just told her the isle I was in as I went in to a partial seizure and as she found me I was in a complex one still on the phone. We stick together in the check outs now! :)

I have a really hard time typing things in on the number key pad on the computer that I usually type in on the phone because the key pad is inverted. When I'm on the phone I could probably punch the numbers in with my eyes closed but when it comes to the key pad I've got to stare at it and really think about what I'm typing.

When things change it takes me a while to get used to how to use it. We recently got a new microwave and it takes me forever just to figure out how to heat things up for a minute because it works in a totally different way.

I have a hard time remembering phone numbers because most of them I have stored in my phone and don't actually have to dial it. I can never remember my home phone number, I usually always have to look it up when I give it to someone. I think it's because I never call myself.

The funniest thing (I think at least) is that I have the pharmacy's phone number memorized. I think it's because I call them so often to have my meds filled.

Back
Top Bottom