What do you feel while having a seizure?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

idkk

New
Reaction score
I don't know the exact kind of seizure I have. But what do you experience during yours? When I have them I almost feel as if I'm being electrocuted throughout the seizure. I can feel tingling through my legs and arms. It's also feels like I'm being thrown around when I'm really just shaking in bed.

Oh my god, thank you, I apparently have tonic-clonic seizure. I've been going to the neurologist for five years and she couldn't figure out what I was having. I even looked it up and it said "Tonic–clonic seizures are induced deliberately in electroconvulsive therapy." This explains the electric feeling.

Do you lose consciousness during your seizures? That's usually a hallmark of tonic-clonics.

Oh my god, thank you, I apparently have tonic-clonic seizure. I've been going to the neurologist for five years and she couldn't figure out what I was having. I even looked it up and it said "Tonic–clonic seizures are induced deliberately in electroconvulsive therapy." This explains the electric feeling.

I've had tonic/clonic (convulsive) seizures & partial seizures. During the partial seizures I'm very aware of an electronic sensation around my head & my extremities.

During a tonic/clonic I'm not (& I don't think anyone is) aware of the sensations in their body during a convulsion.

I don't feel anything during a tonic clonic seizure. My mind has totally checked and its just my body seizing

Last edited:
I don't feel anything DURING a seizure, but before one I feel terrified, like during a nightmare, and after one I feel weird and out of sorts. I have complex partial seizures, so I lose consciousness.

Really, all the symptoms sound the same. First I get an aura I'm going to have a seizure, then my body goes numb and "locks", then I have a seizure. I'm usually wide awake during them though, it's only after that I go unconscious.

If you're awake during the seizure then it's not a tonic/clonic seizure.

You are lucky for that.

If you're awake during the seizure then it's not a tonic/clonic seizure.

You are lucky for that.

I am? I would rather be uncontentious then feel the pain. But through the years it's gotten better. When I wasn't on medication I would become uncontentious right away. Now that I'm on medication when I do have seizures it's usually only in one part of the body(Usually legs) So maybe It's less severe.

Partial seizures are definitely less sever than convulsive tonic/clonic.

I still have ones where I'm unaware for part of the seizure, came out of one in the middle of the road with cars honking. The difference between that & a tonic/clonic is the convulsion.

In medical terms tonic means tense and clonic means jerky or jerking. That is how they describe convulsing.

It's weird, I only have seizures after being sick and I've only had them in bed or just waking up. I do jerk when I have seizures but it's more like vibrating?

I do jerk too. I still get some where my head is pulled to the right but they're only partials. I get both simple & complex partials but I always forget which is which.

I have the same thing but to the left. I'm sorry for not knowing this but, what is a partial?

Partial seizures (also called focal seizures[1] and localized seizures) are seizures which affect only a part of the brain[2] at onset,[3] and are split into two main categories; simple partial seizures and complex partial seizures.

A simple partial seizure will often be a precursor to a larger seizure such as a complex partial seizure, or a tonic-clonic seizure. When this is the case, the simple partial seizure is usually called an aura.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partial_seizure

And a bit more in depth:

Seizure types

Feel free to ask if you have any more questions. The people here are pretty good about making sure you understand.

Ohh this is another word for aura. I have these. For me, it's usually walking around uncontrollably, and thank you. :)

A simple partial is only considered an aura though if it precedes a larger seizure.

There are also complex partial seizures as well. They're explained in the 2nd link I just posted.

Yes, I usually do it before a seizure. I don't know if this is an aura but sometimes I collapse before a seizure. For example my left leg with just randomly go limp.

I feel an "aura" before mine--which is uncomfortable but something I consider a blessing as it sometimes allows me to get help. I feel nauseated, I sometimes hear voices, my vision and hearing fades. (So it may be an absence seizure, leading up to my bigger one) People around me say I just stare and my eyes twitch. Then I lose all consciousness and end up on the floor, unresponsive for awhile.

My son does the kind where his head turns to one side. He also has the standard absence seizures.

We have different neurologists and have both just been labeled as having generalized epilepsy. My son's EEGs have been far more useful than mine.

Back
Top Bottom