When to take medication?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ln1

New
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I know I'm over thinking this, but I'm going out of the country in a couple of weeks. I'm trying to decide if it will be best to keep the schedule on which I take my medicine according to my time or change it to Nigerian time, which is where I'm going.

In other words, I currently take my medicine at 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. If while in Nigeria, I take it at 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. in my time zone, that would be about 3 a.m. and 3 p.m. Nigerian time.

The other option would be to take it at 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. Nigerian time, which would be 1 a.m. and 1 p.m. my American time zone.

I guess I'm trying to avoid shocking my body. Or does it even matter? Thank you.

Hi In1

If I were in your place I would stick to taking my meds on the American time zone. I know in the past when I've taken my meds a little later or earlier than normal it sometimes messes me up and triggers seizures but everyone is different.
Probably the best thing to do is to ask your pharmacist what would be the best thing
for you to do. I've found often the pharmacist knows much more about meds than some Drs. do. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Bottom line: whatever change in dosage timing you make, do so gradually. If your medication is specifically prescribed to take before sleep at night to avoid nocturnal seizures (and then to take the next dose 12 hours later) then yes, it could make a difference when you take the medication while away. If the medication is simply prescribed to take two doses 12 hours apart then go with what is convenient, but either way start any transition to the Nigerian time (if that is what you decide to do) now so you can do it gradually.

When I've traveled, I've slowly shifted my dose slowly to match my destination time zone. It helps that my pills are in 25mg increments. I usually take 5 pills in the morning and 4 at night, but I will adjust that schedule (for example, 3/3/3 spread out over the day) to help with the transition.

Thank you all so much. As always, you've been most helpful!

I also change my medication timing to the destination time zone. Who wants to get up in the middle of the night to take meds?

Back
Top Bottom