WHY does voice mail start an aura or seizure?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

abacoian

New
Reaction score
My wife has epilepsy and sometimes (JUST NOW) she dialed a phone number and the voicemail came on and she got the aura that she gets before she has a seizure, this has happened more than a few times. Thankfully sometimes she is able to compose herself and not have a seizure.

It seems like something as weird as the telephone / voice mail setting off this process that someone somewhere would know why and what causes this and how to prevent at least this part of it. Also perhaps this type of epilepsy might be identifiable and "fixable?"

I don't know, I'm her husband and I love her and I hope to help her in any way I can. I have never researched epilepsy so I thought I'd start here.

So if these symptoms are familiar to you or you know anything about them I would greatly appreciate your help and wisdom.

Thank you,
Ian

Sometimes I can feel a little 'susceptible' to things, and anything which is unexpected like a sudden movement or noise (like voicemail) can trigger an aura or sz.

Has she been tired lately ? It's just that I'm more open to being 'jumpy' about things when I'm tired, and this triggers my aura's too.

Well she has slept pretty good but she is usually busy and perhaps more tired than she should be. But not too bad really. I do know that when she's tired she is more suseptable. So I try to make her rest and not over do it all the time.

She could

be going through a type of reflex epilepsy. Some of us are triggered by certain sounds....

I have something similar happen to me with the dialing tone, this happens nearly every morning. I dial the number, the phone starts ringing, I disappear into a seizure, I can hear the person on the other end answer the phone, but I cannot speak anything of any sense to them and all I can do is wait until the seizure passes.

Hi TeeTees, I'm interested in "sudden movement" as a trigger. The doc that happened to be on duty during my video EEG blew that off. I used to get that feeling as a child. I told him I felt like I could trigger one by running down my hallway and jumping on my bed. Now I was only 9 or 10 at the time. I thought they tickled so I would that sometimes. As a teen I would have one if I changed direction suddenly while walking down the hall. So now I think I'm not crazy I really did it.

Specific dB (decibels) in the past when I
could hear triggered seizures at a certain
pitch and range (dB and Hz - Hertz). It
falls into musicogenic seizures / epilepsy
under the Reflex Seizures / Epilepsy category.

So the chances are that specific dB and Hz
are triggering the seizure event.

Hi TeeTees, I'm interested in "sudden movement" as a trigger. The doc that happened to be on duty during my video EEG blew that off. I used to get that feeling as a child. I told him I felt like I could trigger one by running down my hallway and jumping on my bed. Now I was only 9 or 10 at the time. I thought they tickled so I would that sometimes. As a teen I would have one if I changed direction suddenly while walking down the hall. So now I think I'm not crazy I really did it.

It's usually if I'm feeling tired, or have just had a sz. I become more responsive to sudden movements/flashing lights.....for instance, I could be watching the TV, when suddenly my Dad walks in (in a non-gentle way) - the difference in my conditioning goes from being relaxed to kind of 'shocked'.....this for me can trigger a sz.

PS. you're never crazy - there will always be a first person to have a different form of anything....they're not crazy people, just pioneers that the Doctor's should be watching and listening to :rock:

Oh, just had another thought - I have had terrible responses to 'surround sound' systems on modern day TV's.

I find them really disturbing at times, especially when the people are talking in the speakers behind me - maybe it's due to their being a link to me hearing 'voices' in my aura's, and my mind 'believes' that I'm about to have a sz.

Back
Top Bottom