Why no EEG prior to restoration/driving privilege?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

elizzza811

Stalwart
Reaction score
Just curious...

Why don't they perform an EEG prior to the restoration of a patient's driving privileges? My neurologist just sent in my paperwork last month, and I should be getting my driver's license back shortly. But even though I've been seizure-free for close to a year, how do I really 'know' I've been seizure-free given the fact that most of my seizures were occurring in my sleep anyway and I still experience this relentless, unwillful, lower-jaw clenching? - which, consequently, always seemed to intensify in the days preceding a seizure?

I know I showed "seizure potential" during my 72-hour ambulatory EEG (my neurologist's words), thus the diagnosis of independent generalized seizures. But apparently I didn't experience an actual seizure during this EEG - (as I suspected - no confusion upon awakening, funny taste/dizzy spells during that 72-hour span) - I just showed "seizure potential". Still, this "seizure potential", along with a motor vehicle accident, earned me the diagnosis of independent generalized seizure disorder.

Don't get me wrong...I want my driver's license back...but somehow I still don't feel 'safe'. And without a clean EEG (preferably a 72-hour ambulatory EEG), I'm not sure any of us should be on the road again. This just seems backwards to me - to trust my assessment that I'm seizure-free. Plus, I imagine there are those who might lie and say they've been seizure-free, when really they haven't been.

Last edited:
I think it's most likely not required because there is no "standard" for test results. Each doctors evaluation is subjective and the same EEG can be read very differently by two different doctors.
It's also not 100% accurate, so it would be unreliable. :?

My friends son who had seizures as a kid and then outgrew them, had an irregular EEG for years after ever having a seizure. ??? He's a motorcycle cop now. Has been for over ten years. Maybe its just not that reliable ( a guess). Sorry you don't feel safe or you question your safety. I heard that people with mostly nighttime seizures don't usually get their licenses revoked. I read that on a thread here. You're in a tough situation. You're car accident probably brings on a little anxiety about the thought of driving again. I wish you the best of luck.

Have you asked your neurologist about having an EEG done for your own peace of mind? My previous neuro always thought it was a good idea when I was tapering off meds to see if abnormal brainwaves were present (I have a classic spike-and wave-pattern show up whether I'm seizing or not). And my current neuro (whom I saw yesterday) seems in favor too.

An EEG may show abnormal brain waves even when your seizure activity is well controlled, so there's not much of a point to testing someone before they get their license back, just comply with your doctors directions, get lots of sleep and live healthy, and if you feel unwell or an oncoming seizure, don't drive.

Thanks everybody for your replies.

Nakamova, maybe I should consider asking her for an EEG, just to be 'safe'? But if abnormalities are okay...? My impression was that abnormalities aren't okay though? How could abnormalities ever be 'okay'?

Julie, many of my seizures occurred during my sleep, but not all of them. I had that one car accident, but I know I ran at least 2 red lights and nearly rear-ended people on several occasions before I was diagnosed...I just chalked it up to 'spacing out', too much on my mind. Many times while I was out running errands, I may have had 3 or 4 errands to run but headed home after 1 or 2 because I didn't feel right...almost as if too much was coming at me...traffic lights, trucks, cars pulling out...

I'll tell you this though...I'm only driving on days I feel okay, unless I 'have' to drive (doctor's appointment, dropping car off for service, etc...). I haven't been feeling well lately...this relentless jaw-clenching continues.

An EEG may show abnormal brain waves even when your seizure activity is well controlled, so there's not much of a point to testing someone before they get their license back, just comply with your doctors directions, get lots of sleep and live healthy, and if you feel unwell or an oncoming seizure, don't drive.

Plus, you could be having seizure activity and have a perfectly normal EEG. They just aren't that reliable.

Back
Top Bottom