Work related expenses for ssdi

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

specialneeds

Reaction score
I am currently working and SSDI has asked if there are any work related expenses that will qualify me to continue to get benefits. I currently work 28 hours at 10.00 an hour that puts me over the amount that I am allowed.

They went back several years and I received a letter saying they over paid me for different months. The letter said that they would not receive any payments until November to recollect the over-payment.

Than, I got a letter saying I was no longer eligible for benefits and lost my Medicare and owe the amount of money they were going to deduct each month from my benefits. At the same time I am getting another letter saying that if they don't receive a payment for my medicare premium I would lose it.

I contacted the case worker and she said to give her any work related expenses I could. I reduced my hours 40 to 28 due to more seizures. I have a small amount that I can deduct for medications I paid for during those months. I am really confused.

D

This link http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/resources/disability/disability-and-social-security/how-impairment- provides a good rundown of work expenses and SSDI.

Basically, the expenses,

A. must not be reimbursed, and
B. must be related to your disability(ies) and necessary in order for you to work.

They could include things like special transportation required for you to get to work, or modifications made to the home. You should contact your caseworker to get a sense of what expenses might be relevant in your case.

Good luck!

Work related - transportation and hotel to appt. 100 miles

Would my trips to Mayo be considered expenses, since they are related to my epilepsy?

I don't think they would be considered work-related. Generally, the work-related expenses that can be excluded income have to be related to the disability AND required in order for you to work. In the link (see below) they provide the following as examples of deductible transportation expenses:
-- The cost of changes you have to make to your car so that you can drive it (even if you also use the vehicle for personal purposes). For example, adding hand-controlled braking or acceleration devices.
-- The cost of what you have to pay someone to drive you to work because your disability prevents you from taking public transportation.

http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/resources/disability/disability-and-social-security/how-impairment- has a "live chat" feature -- you could try using that for clarification.

Back
Top Bottom