xanax is it ok to take?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

400ex

New
Reaction score
my neurologist is thinking about giving me a script of xanax for my long flight to greece, but am nervous of taking it since I have never taken it before. he says it is completly fine and the only reason he wants me to take it is so I can get some sleep on my long flight since we both know that I have trouble sleeping anywhere outside of my bed.

but I thought xanax was bad to take if you have seizures, especially if you have generalized seizures.

I am taking topamax and have been seizure free for 3 years and 2 months

woops just realized I posted this in the wrong section...

I really don't know if it's OK to take xanax but I did move your post to the kitchen so no worries there.

I take Xanax for panic attacks or emergencies. It seems to be fine with my Lamictal and Klonopin, but that's what works for me, individually. I could take a larger dose of Klonopin, but it would not take effect as quickly.

I don't know if Xanax will be okay for you, but maybe here's something else to consider?

Maybe you won't want to sleep on your flight. When does your flight leave? The second I step on the plane I adjust my sleeping and eating schedule to my new location. It helps fight jet lag and minimizes the amount of time it takes to adjust to your new place. When I do this I hit the ground running. For example, if you have late 8pm flight, it'll be about 3-5pm in the afternoon when you land in Athens. If you sleep on the plane it will disrupt your sleep that night, and you'll lose the next day all groggy and grumpy. Better to stay up on the plane and then sleep when you get to your destination. If your flight takes off at the right time you'll definitely want to sleep through it, since you're flying while Athens is sleeping.

But that's just me. Other people just snooze away no matter the time and then jump right into their new time zone just fine. :)

Back
Top Bottom