Yawning

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

gnault

New
Reaction score
About six or seven months, to the best of my recollection, I went through a small period of "bouts" of yawning. The funny thing was that I didn't feel the deep breathing in of air. It was just a large opening of my mouth in a yawning motion and seemed like it lasted about ten to 15 seconds. It would sometimes repeat itself. Has anybody else experience this, I thought I would ask the question.

Gilles

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Excessive yawning can occur in people with epilepsy, migraine, stress, head trauma, stroke etc., -- primarily as the body's attempt to at least temporarily ward off symptoms. This is because those disorders or conditions can increase the body's core temperature and throw off the body's "thermostat." The body then tries to correct this by way of yawning (which can have a cooling effect on the brain). So it can be a sort of "pre-seizure" indicator.

In complex partial seizures, excessive yawning can be the actual seizure symptom, a form of the "automatic" behavior that shows up during the stage of impaired awareness.

Did it feel as if your yawning was associated with seizure activity?

Last edited:
From what I remember it was repetative. All I remember is having the sensation of yawning but no real intake of air like a normal yawn. It seemed to stop on its on but I don't remember trying to stop it or if I could. I just remember having it happen short periods of time in a repetative manner.

Interesting that you bring this up.

The only thing difference I noticed about my son before his first seizure was that
he was yawning more several weeks before he had the seizure.

This may have happened around the same time I discovered myself doing a "lane change" while driving without realizing I was doing a lane change.

Back
Top Bottom