Do you think driving laws are fair with regards to epilepsy?

Are driving laws pertaining to epilepsy fair?

• Yes

Votes: 162 45.5%
  • No

Votes: 122 34.3%
  • Not sure

Votes: 72 20.2%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I still drive when I have to. I always know when I'm going to have seizures the morning I have them. Of course I don't drive and I don't drive for two days afterwards. I live in a small town and there are no buses, taxi's or mass transit, so if I couldn't drive I'd just curl up and die.

Good. Job u don't need a train pass loopy as it looks like you'd wind up back on shanks pony with all these strikes. Forecast

It'd be cool if we could get a train pass too. Mind you, i wonder if the DLA allows you to get a reduced rate one. I'm sure the clients i support at work get something like a third off.

Every little helps i suppose.

After about my 10th attempt of the day i finally got through. I am not eligible to re-apply for my license for another 12 months, and if i do and get turned turned down, then my license will be revoked completely on medical grounds and it will be very difficult to get back in the future, at least that's what i understood from what the woman was telling me.

Lou is not happy :(

Edit - i still voted "yes" in the poll though. I know this is in the best interests of everyone, but i reeeeallllly wanted it back.

Last edited:
They say mans best friend is his dog but in ur case loopy looks like it will be the bus driver lol
Sorry to hear the bad news I've just given up wanting toeven consider getting mine back would be nice to have one but with all the messing aboutits just too much hassle

Plus it's really stupid that i have to keep applying and getting turned down just so i can get a bus pass instead.

Did you get one from your local council?

Walking an hour to and from work in the glorious british weather is not fun lol. I will do that when it's warmer though.

Waiting for dvla to send me out a letter now. Oh wait... they (the council people) also said that i could get a letter from the docs about it. He charges about £15, but should be able to get one from my nurse for free :D

I'm sorry Lou. I know it's hard. Here in Wa state we have taxi's for free if you are on medicaid. Or free bus passes. I will never be able to drive. But I hope you will.

loopy better to worry about the british weather than getting worried about being covered in volcanic ash on the way to work lol

hows about this for a waste of money,
my son has a friend at school whos mom is a grand mal epileptic but she bought a 500cc motorbike and about three days later fell down the stairs in a seizure, now her beautiful bike stands in her kitchen rotting :roflmao:

Hi everyone....I know Im probably chiming in to this thread late but since I just joined yesterday, I'll probably drive everyone nutz just catching up with what is going on. I just scanned over and Im sure someone touched on (central Illinois here ) Illinois law, but here you have to be seizure free for 6 months....fair?? Probably...but when you have to get to work everyday and there is no city bus in my area with out walking at least a mile to catch one and no way home except walk or bum a ride from someone that MIGHT get off close to the time I do is just about out of the question. On the flip side.... other than work, for the safety of everyone, I did obide by the law and Dr recomendation. Plus on the flip side, I decided to give up my motorcycle license. I enjoy life too!! :D.....motorcycle/seizure would be a very deadly combination and isnt worth it....
john

I think 6 months isn't terrible - a lot of states are 6 months. Some are a year, which I think might be a little harsh, but I wonder how much of that is due to the newspapers and the way they report it?

If a car accident occurs because a driver had a seizure, it's nearly the first thing they say, and then the article goes into almost a diatribe about seizures and how dangerous it is to have people with seizures driving and taking the lives of motorists into their hands.

But if an accident is caused by someone driving under the influence, there's no diatribe. It's like "meh, somebody had a few drinks or got high and then drove. Let's send them to rehab so they will be good next time." The courts handle it far differently as well, even giving drinking and driving multiple chances and allowing them to continue driving. To me, that seems a bit imbalanced. (And yes, I'm very, very biased here, having been involved as a victim in two serious accidents caused by drivers who were highly intoxicated and who got slaps on the wrist but were allowed to continue driving).

Those of us who have seizures tend to know our bodies pretty well and make the conscious decision not to drive if we suspect we might have a seizure that day except in a dire emergency. We are not going to risk our lives and the lives of others, as a general rule, over a medical condition that we have little control over should a seizure happen "out of the blue." It is no different than a heart patient or a diabetic driving and yet, there are few, if any, restrictions preventing patients with those conditions from driving, though the risk is just as great, if not greater, for them to be driving as it is for us.

Those, however, who have shown a pattern of making poor conscious decisions to consume mind-altering chemicals before getting behind the wheel are still permitted to do so freely and to take their lives and the lives of thousands of others into their hands and to me, that just doesn't seem right at all.

Granted, I'm not going to run out and start driving today, even though I have a legal and valid license because frankly, it is not yet safe for me to do so because they haven't got my seizures under control and I would prefer to not take the lives of others into my hands so cavalierly (besides, my doctors have very strongly advised me not to do so). But the point, to me, is that the attitude with which the states and the media approach the issue needs a good hard look because it is completely inequal with the way it is approached for other medical conditions and out of balance with crimes and that is what makes me scratch my head a bit.

I'm sorry Lou. I know it's hard. Here in Wa state we have taxi's for free if you are on medicaid. Or free bus passes. I will never be able to drive. But I hope you will.

Yeah luckily i get disability money and a free bus pass (i managed to get it renewed, woohoo), so i can still get the bus and the occasional taxi, but it sucks that i finally got enough money for lessons and then i had to hand the license back.

In all honesty, i'm not sure i'll ever learn to drive, but i really want it back so i can at least try. Oh well, another 12 months to go and we'll see what happens!

loopy better to worry about the british weather than getting worried about being covered in volcanic ash on the way to work lol

I know - it's still erupting too! My friend had to cancel her holiday twice cos the airspaces were closed lol. She finally got away though, and is due to come back today.

Duty free, woop woop!

Some people were panicking in case the ash actually came to ground level lol.

When I was diagnosed in Mar 2010, I was told by the doctor that I would not be able to drive for six months, seizure free. I was devasted and relied on family to adjust their schedules. After about two months, I started thinking...I have probably had this condition (simple complex seizures) for at least two years. My job requires me to carry a gun and I have been in law enforcement for over 28 years. I drove on the police beat with no incident. I told my doctor that if I could do all this before without medication and now that I am on medication...am I not better off? He signed a letter indicating I could drive and carry a firearm again.

Texas, great logic! By NYS law one is not allowed to drive for one year since onset of seizure. OK. Nearly one year goes by and I have a seizure. This factors into to two years not driving. Now, that I'm finally on the road I have been entirely unaccustomed to my area and further surroundings. I now think that two months top should be in order.
Yours, still trying to find Rt. 25.

I agree 100% with you. Anything also has risk, but those "so called normal people" think we are risking our life but my aunty always tell my family that I should lead a normal life like I used to have since I got around 99% better.

Oh! by the way I am new here and I really would like to know how everybody live with it since some of the people think we are really dangerous.

So, most states no longer have Doc reporting breakthrough seizures to licensing departments. Is one supposed to self report? What happens if you don't report? I'm in Washington State, which is a state where a doc is not required to report seizures. I am torn between wanting to follow the law but not wanting the state keeping tabs on my medical record (big-brother phobia).

Cheers,
Mike

My biggest thing is there is a lot of traffic out here in WA state. I have a son with epilepsy to. The thing I teach him is be responsible for your own actions. If you could kill yourself or somebody else with the seizures then make your decision based on that.Be responsible for your actions.

Back
Top Bottom