Do you think driving laws are fair with regards to epilepsy?

Are driving laws pertaining to epilepsy fair?

• Yes

Votes: 162 45.5%
  • No

Votes: 122 34.3%
  • Not sure

Votes: 72 20.2%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Driving Laws

I grew up in California which i think has the hardest driving laws in the country with a year of no driving after a seizure. I was pulling my hair out each time just waiting for my license back!!! After moving to Australia ive noticed they are more understanding about epilepsy and driving and the maximum is 3 months if you have a seizure while driving it is 1 year with medical examinations. Also your 3 months can be changed to 1 month with documentation from you doctor, pretty cool!!!!

I see it's been awhile since someone has been here but I recently came back & wanted to add.........In Ohio you can't drive till you have been sz free for one yr.

Yes, I did but only after brain surgery. I had Complex Partial seizures that could happen anytime of day or night. Since my brain surgery, my seizures are "sleep time". As I work nights.

I live in New York where you're not allowed to drive for one year providing that you're seizure free. While I felt part of my life was stolen not being able to drive, I feel that one year is an appropriate amount of time to "stay put". Maybe, I feel this way because I'm an overly cautious person. But better safe than sorry. I'd not want to take a life or loose my own.

In Ontario, Cda., it's one year of seizure-free. I don't think it's terribly fair either, given all the speeders and drunk drivers on the road. I have never an accident that was related to seizures and yet, it's when I'm driving that they come on. For this reason, I am staying silent and choosing not to be treated. I'm job hunting desperately and due to where I live, I need to have my licence. Right now, my financial situation is more important to me and I've been dealing with these seizures for 30 years, so I intend to just 'carry on.'

I have to agree that they should be more strict with the speeders & drunk drivers but I don't think 1 year is too long to prove that someone is able to drive safely, actually it can be rather short.

When I lived on the West Coast of Vancouver Island we had to go a year without a seizure before we could drive. One of the RCMP told me of someone who only got 1 T/C seizure a year so he got his license, would occasionally lose it for a year then get it back. Once, Almost exactly a year after getting his license back he'd driven into the ocean & drowned, It is assumed he had a seizure. The RCMP told me that if he could get a license I should talk to him about getting one but I just feel it'd be too dangerous for me and others, even if it were legal.

In Texas it is 6 months seizure free, and 10 years seizure free and no medication for a commercial license. Mine only occur in my sleep, so I have never had a doctor report me to DPS. The Department of Transportation dictates the laws regarding a commercial license. There is where the stigma lies. I tried to get on with Fed ex this summer for home delivery and had to disclose my seizure disorder. Although I have a clean driving record for 36 years now, (exception a few speeding tickets) they will not issue me a CDL. They go back 12 months on your record, you can have DWI and DUI prior to the 12 month period and still get one. It has been over 6 years since my last seizure - in my bed!! There you have it. I am no more a threat to other drivers than the general population.

My driving record is also stellar. A CDL can put others at risk and the DWI and DUI is viewed as a temporary condition. Epilepsy is viewed as a permanent condition with so many types of seizures.
I really hope someday that they create vehicles that drive themselves. That could give a person with epilepsy that ability to extensively travel without worrying about seizures. And it could drastically alter some of the laws. It's just a matter of time. They're revamping all of our vehicles now to be more efficient. Why not also add this feature?

I am in Australia. I was originally told i couldn't drive for 12 months. The neuro cut it down to 6. Today i got the letter from the Traffic Authority people that i could now drive again.

Problem is.... after no seizures for 6 months, last night i am pretty sure i had my first night time seizure so - now what?

I usually have stroke type seizures but have had none since the brain tumour was removed.

Same day i get approval to drive, is the first day i have a night time seizure.

I think it tells "You just never know what is ahead"

Miss M

I think

that this is one of those situations where you don't go out on the road quite yet, until you're sure one way or the other. For me, because ALL of my seizures are nocturnal, it's not a big deal, and the neuro doesn't report them...Besides, it's been 6 1/2 years since I've had a t/c.

meetz:

Same for me. Over 6 years since my last T.C., and mine are when I slumber. Although I can not get a commercial license, but I think I already divulged that story on here. I think. Can not remember... Maybe yaw can't either! :bigsmile:

Oh - ok I just read my thread above, and I did tell the C.D.L. story! Sorry!

Hi All!

I'm in the UK (Darlington for any one who's interested). In the UK you have to go 1 year seizure free. If you have nocturnal seizures you can drive after 3 years of only have nocturnal seizures. Personally I think the drives laws are fair.

Luckily in the UK you get a bus pass - with you have epilepsy or some other medical conditions or over a certain age (might be 60 or 65) - not really sure - which entils (sp?) you to free bus travel. Which I think is excellent idea. :)However, public transportation in regarding to bus transportation differs greatly to where you are livng. The bus transportation system in Darlington is okay. Only okay, mind - it could be much better - especially at weekends, evenings and early monrnings!!!

Susan :twocents:

In NY you have to be Seizure free for a YEAR before you start driving again. It is something I went threw 2 times. **Knocks on wood** hopefully I never have to go threw it again.

From NY. I'm right there with you. Same exact situation. Three months before I was ready to hit the road I seized. Another year sentence. Now, I'm driving. Like you said "knocks on wood".

I have never had a seizure while driving, probably because if I'm feeling at all "off," I simply will not get behind the wheel that day. I find it ironic, however, that the drunk driver who nearly killed me and put everything into motion that started all this mess has been driving pretty much since the wreck since she got a deferred prosecution.

So I can't drive until I can go six months with zero seizure activity even though I have never put anyone at risk or even had a fender bender, but she can drive until she actually does kill somebody, even though she has put others at risk already. This strikes me as just a wee bit on the "wrong" side somehow...

I have a note from my docor stating that I have been seizure free for over a year stating that I am safe to drive. However, I currently do have a license and what am I suppose to say to the DMV (Dpt of Motor Vehicles)? Tell them that I can drive now? I know when you fill out an application for a license one of the questions they ask is if you have ever had a seizure before. I did say NO because I was not seizing during that time, but then if I were to present that note they will think that I lied. Im afraid I may have broken some type of law since I responded no. Any suggestions?

I look at it this way
A: i have legs and feet and i can walk to wherever i want to go locally
B: i have a wife who drives an animal ambulance if i need to go further.

But yes i do occaisionally want to go out to places on my own that are further afield and cant do it which becomes depressing

That's an excellent point. You're probably in much better shape physically than people who just plop in the driver's seat, turn a key and push a few pedals. I live near a bunch of businesses including medical doctors, a hospital, a convenience store, a large grocery store, a large mall and a small mall all within walking distance. Unless it's really bad weather, I prefer to walk. After I started to drive, I was more out of shape from not walking. One of these days, I'll get my bicycle in good shape once all the snow melts and go a longer distance.

As long as I have someone to drive me to my bird of prey demos then hey life goes on. Matters not to me if its the wife driving or one of the volunteers that works for me

Back
Top Bottom