Do you think driving laws are fair with regards to epilepsy?

Are driving laws pertaining to epilepsy fair?

• Yes

Votes: 162 45.5%
  • No

Votes: 122 34.3%
  • Not sure

Votes: 72 20.2%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

My husband is an xMayor. At times that makes me feel I can do anything and many times I am successful. My husband explained to me last night that this is a fight I will never win and will waste a lifetime on. My husband takes on any project I like, so for him to tell me this, its bad lol UGHHHHHhhhh

He tells me, more than likely my son will lose his license for the mandatory year. I am frustrated beyond words and am trying to come to terms with it. I am totally negative about this at the moment and I hope I can come to peace with it quickly. I will fight this but already feel like I have lost.

joan*

Good one!!! Let's all send that link to our public transit authorities and car companies!

I think : ) whats really bugging me is that there are so many folks that shouldnt be driving why single out E folks?

just sign me sad mom

Last edited:
I think driving laws suck! It's perfectly ok to people to drive down the highway texting and talking on cells. Its ok for people to get 4-5 DWIs and continue driving. There is a huge bias towards us.

The reality in NJ is.. my son will be suspended for upto a year. They want him 12 mos seizure free to drive. They will review his case and consider him in 6 mos. There is no guarantee. Not the worst thing, not the best thing. Just really s*cks to a 19 yo thats trying to adapt as best his can and really feels too old to have his mom drive him back and forth.. ughhhh

joan*

I think driving laws suck! It's perfectly ok to people to drive down the highway texting and talking on cells. Its ok for people to get 4-5 DWIs and continue driving. There is a huge bias towards us.

It is illegal in the UK to even touch your cell phone whilst driving, is it not the case in the US??

I don't feel picked on for having E in regards to driving, I don't think the law is tough enough on the likes of drug user etc.

It is illegal in the UK to even touch your cell phone whilst driving, is it not the case in the US??

I am not sure whether E sufferers are being picked on, or whether the law just isn't tough enough on the likes of drug user etc.

Same law in 4 or 5 (out of 10) provinces in Canada

Forgot to mention - they are now looking at making smoking whilst driving illegal as well, do any other countries have this as the law?

In the UK we have to be 12 months seizure free, after that we can apply for our license on the say so of our doctor, I wouldn't expect this to be any other way. Yes people can have heart attacks etc when driving, but at the same time people have seizures for the first time also.

But if you knowingly get behind the wheel, fully aware that you could black out and hurt yourself or someone else, then that is where the law steps in to protect us.

I saw something on the news about not allowing smoking in the car but I forgot which provinces it was since it wasn't in mine.

I know in BC I have to go 12 months without a seizure (not likely since I can barely go a day lol) but in Ont. it's 36 months without a seizure. Not sure about the other provinces.

I think a year fair also. Forgive me my rant. Just me being a mom and Im a bit frustrated these days. Better days to come*

joan*

I know in BC I have to go 12 months without a seizure (not likely since I can barely go a day lol) but in Ont. it's 36 months without a seizure. Not sure about the other provinces.

I know the feeling, I can't go longer then a day either, and that is one day every 10 years :roflmao:

Wow 36 months is steep in Ontario.

I think that in the UK there is another rule regarding nocturnals, if you can prove that you have only had nocturnal seizures for 3 years then you are allowed to drive regardless of the (nocturnal) seizures.

I think it depends

When I lived in the country there was someone who had a T/C seizure every year. Of course he could drive because he went a year without seizing but he very soon had one, drove the car into the swamp & drowned.

Maybe it's the pattern of seizing that should be considered rather than a set length of time for everyone.:twocents:

Maybe it's the pattern of seizing that should be considered rather than a set length of time for everyone.:twocents:

Thats a great idea, everyday I get an approximate 2 hour seizure free window, I will be allowed to drive between 11am - 1pm, just enough time to get my shopping done :roflmao:

In US, laws vary by state or even city. In Texas, it is legal to text or talk on cell phone. some cities have made it illegal in school zones only. (How crazy is that, they know it's dangerous but only limit it to school zones!)
I remeber up until around 1980, it was legal to drink a beer while driving in Texas!
I think I would throw a huge fit if they tried to stop me from smoking in my own car!
My brother, niece and her best friend were hit by a drunk with 5 DWIs..he almost killed my niece's friend. State doesn't enforce DWI laws very well, I think it is because most of the politians get DWIs!
It just seems very hipocrital to be strict on people with seizures but not apply the same to other more dangerous situations.

In reference to Joan's and others comments

As some of you know, I was an EMT for 20 years in a rural area. In all those years, I not ever remember an accident caused by a seizure.

I did respond to several accidents involving diabetes. Also had fatal accidents caused by heart problems and obviouslt had those caused by drinking or drugs.

But by far the most common cause was "not paying attention". People preoccupied with everything else but driving.

I do agree that there is discrimination against epilepsy. Elderly people taking hand fulls of meds each day are out driving all the time with no restrictions.
:soap:

Thank you * Its just been a few rough weeks with alot of changes, and I for one am NOT great with change : ) Im working on me.

The final outcome is my son will give up his license 2/14. We were told he may apply after 6 mos seizure free. That is March so its not too bad. If they turn him down, it will be in Sept. Truth is I certainly dont want my son hurt and I dont want him hurting anyone else. Its just at times it seems you finally get 2 steps ahead only to fall back 6 steps. I struggle to keep my son upbeat and active. He has good days and bad days like everyone else. Its just hard watching your kids. We know not to let him drive first thing after waking. He stays local and doesnt get on parkways. He picks his classes so they are later in the day. His biggest complaint is he needs moniters for everything. Removing his last freedom, just another kick to an already blacknblue body. I also know, better days coming sooo... we hang in there *

joan*

I can't drive

I can't drive as well, and trust me it is best that way. It can be slap in the face because you learn lots about yourself and the people you keep around you. It something difficult to deal with, but when the people you love can alienate you and run because they are afraid to understand what you are going through. I find that after asking, begging, manipulating rides from someone I should not have to do anything but ask. I don't blame them but I also don't need them around. All I do is depend on people so if I can't depend on someone, I really don't need them around anyway. It is hard to deal with. I am extremely lucky that I am at my brothers house and he is helping me tremendously. I wish all of you the best today!

one day some friends and I went out to play discgolf and I told them I am not supposed to drive, but none of them drove. On the way home I was driving and my nose started bleeding and I went into a tonic-clonic szr and the passenger was asleep so the guys in the back woke him up and he grabbed the wheel. I was driving about 70 right next to the wall, and it was scary.... I get more auras now but only if I get real selfish do I drive.

Last edited:
Here in California your restriction will depend on the person you speak with when you are interviewed. I was lucky enough to talk with someone who listened to my story and compared it to my neurologist's paperwork. My seizures were caused by a change in medication and then I became controlled once I switched again. I was restricted for 2 months.

I do think the laws are appropriate, but then I have not been restricted like many of you have, and my TCs are controlled.

I agree with the argument that there are many other drivers out there who should be just as restricted due to their DUIs, mental instability, etc.

There should also be easier access to public transportation. I live miles away from the nearest bus stop and grocery store. Getting anywhere here really does require driving.

Back
Top Bottom